Since69
12 years ago
480 yards and 6 TDs? Are you kidding me? He'll be starting somewhere soon...
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago
This question has to be asked: do the Packers franchise Flynn to get something back?

Honestly, I do not know how you can let him walk just like that. Sure, you may get a compensatory pick, but based on his value right now, he's worth a heck of a lot more than a potential 3rd rounder.

Seriously, with our needs getting a high pick or two would be pretty damn awesome.

I'm looking at the Redskins as possible partners, assuming Ted franchises Flynn. Or the Seahawks. Considering John Schenider is there... that may be possible destination even if Carrol says the team is committed to Travaris Jackson. This is, of course, assuming the Packers have the franchise tag to use on Flynn (Finley being unsigned makes that pretty unlikely).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Laser Gunns
12 years ago

the Seahawks. Considering John Schenider is there...

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

💓

I F***ING WANT THIS!

I'm sure if we tagged Flynn, his new team would agree to sign him to a new contract that wasn't top 5 money.

Kolb was a 2nd and a pro-bowl cb.. I bet we could pry a #2 from Seattle especially with Barkley staying at USC.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
go.pack.go.
12 years ago

This question has to be asked: do the Packers franchise Flynn to get something back?

Honestly, I do not know how you can let him walk just like that. Sure, you may get a compensatory pick, but based on his value right now, he's worth a heck of a lot more than a potential 3rd rounder.

Seriously, with our needs getting a high pick or two would be pretty damn awesome.

I'm looking at the Redskins as possible partners, assuming Ted franchises Flynn. Or the Seahawks. Considering John Schenider is there... that may be possible destination even if Carrol says the team is committed to Travaris Jackson. This is, of course, assuming the Packers have the franchise tag to use on Flynn (Finley being unsigned makes that pretty unlikely).

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

That is interesting...I say that if we can get Finley signed, then we should franchise Matt Flynn. It would be the best thing to do for Green Bay. Matt Flynn may not like it (actually, he may not mind because as far as I've seen, he likes Green Bay) but it's the smartest thing to do.

Man, it would be great to be able to keep Flynn as a backup throughout AR's career.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago

💓 I'm sure if we tagged Flynn, his new team would agree to sign him to a new contract that wasn't top 5 money.

Kolb was a 2nd and a pro-bowl cb.. I bet we could pry a #2 from Seattle especially with Barkley staying at USC.

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Top-5 money won't be the issue, because as gpg points out: the franchise tag is the average of the top-10 paid players at the position. Not sure if it will make a huge difference, but the cap charge should be less than past years. Of course, assuming that the rule applies to franchise tags on QBs.

Great point about the market value for Flynn being mostly set by Kolb. I'd honestly settle for a 2nd rounder and a swap of our first rounders. Not sure if Seattle would agree to it, but it'd be pretty sweet.

This discussion just makes me even more irritated we are unlikely to have our franchise tag to use. Argh!
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Despite what Dhazer said in the chat, teams are gonna want Flynn. Rookie QBs are like a dice roll. Flynn has already proven that he can almost keep up with Tom Brady and better Stafford.

NO QB in the draft is a guarantee to almost keep up with Tom Brady and better Stafford. I don't care how they performed in college. How many hot college QBs turned out to be busts in the NFL? We all know this.

Flynn is NFL ready today. Right now. He doesn't need to be developed or coached. He can play right now.

Franchise him. Flynn is hotter than Finley right now. You can't make up 6 TDs and 480 yards vs a team fighting for a Playoff position. I can guarantee you the other 31 NFL teams will watch this game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Matt Flynn will not get tagged, not Franchise, nor Transition tag, unless a team comes to the Packers stating they'd trade for him. Why would a team do this? To ensure THEY get Matt Flynn instead of another team. UNLIKELY.

There is no reason for the Packers to risk paying the average of the Top 5 QB's (especially with Peyton Manning getting 28 million) when they have other players to retain.

Franchise Tag = average of top five
Transition Tag = average of top ten

Figures for next season by position and players who could be impacted

Quarterback: $14.4 million (down from $16.1 million in 2011, $16.4 million in 2010); Drew Brees

Running back: $7.7 million (down from $9.6 million in 2011, $8.2 million in 2010); Matt Forte, Ray Rice

Wide receiver: $9.4 million (down from 11.4 million in 2011, $9.5 million in 2010); DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson*, Steve Johnson, Wes Welker

Tight end: $5.4 million (down from $7.3 million in 2011, $5.9 million in 2010); Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley

Offensive line: $9.4 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $10.7 million in 2010); Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks

Defensive end: $10.6 million (down from $13 million in 2011, $12.4 million in 2010); Jason Jones, Mario Williams*

Defensive tackle: $7.9 million (down from $12.5 million in 2011; it was $7 million in 2010); Paul Soliai*

Linebacker: $8.8 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $9.7 million in 2010); Stephen Tulloch

Cornerback: $10.6 million (down from $13.5 million in 2011; tag was $9.6 million in 2010); Cortland Finnegan, Brent Grimes

Safety: $6.2 million (down from $8.8 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2010); LaRon Landry

Source  wrote:

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Matt Flynn will not get tagged, not Franchise, nor Transition tag, unless a team comes to the Packers stating they'd trade for him. Why would a team do this? To ensure THEY get Matt Flynn instead of another team. UNLIKELY.

There is no reason for the Packers to risk paying the average of the Top 5 QB's (especially with Peyton Manning getting 28 million) when they have other players to retain.

Franchise Tag = average of top five
Transition Tag = average of top ten

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yikes!

Yeah, 🇹🇹 will look at those numbers and say "Sorry Zombieslayer."

OK, never mind.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago

There is no reason for the Packers to risk paying the average of the Top 5 QB's (especially with Peyton Manning getting 28million) when they have other players to retain.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It's pretty much safe to assume some team will want Flynn enough be willing to trade for him. He is a safer bet than a top-10 rookie at QB. He's also pretty ideal for a team that can contend immediately. Redskins, Seahawks, Jets come to mind.

Flynn's shown he can play in this league. His reads are mostly solid, his throwing power is good, his accuracy also pretty good. Also, if franchise tag is based on the top-10 average it might be a considerably lesser amount Flynn counts against the cap.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Yikes!

Yeah, 🇹🇹 will look at those numbers and say "Sorry Zombieslayer."

OK, never mind.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

And I think Matt Flynn feels he's ready to be a starter so he's not going to say "hey, ill give you a Discount Double Check Mr. Thompson". I just don't see the Packers risking dropping $14 million on a backup QB when they have others they need to lock up long term.

Another scenario would be Aaron Rodgers suffers a devastating injury in the playoffs, THEN the Packers could consider franchising Matt Flynn.

Unfortunately, I think the only compensation the Packers will get is from the compensatory pick. Probably as high as 4th round but no higher.
UserPostedImage