Yerko
12 years ago
I just cringe at the thought of this move. I agree with porky, in that this shows how desperate the Packers are to get that position filled. Not only desperation to fill that position, but also the confidence they now have in Mike Neal to fill Jenkins role.

Terrible idea all around.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Er...have I missed something? Who or what is a YOTTO?

As for the original question....if the best solution they can come up with is Mike Neal to OLB, the only thing we'll be asking of the defense next year is whether they will break this year's team's record for yards given up.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Stevetarded
12 years ago

As for the original question....if the best solution they can come up with is Mike Neal to OLB, the only thing we'll be asking of the defense next year is whether they will break this year's team's record for yards given up.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

If he could drop the weight I don't think Neal would even be as bad as Walden was this year. If anything he could at least hold up against the run instead of losing contain play after play while the other team keeps running straight at him.
blank
12 years ago

Argument was the wrong choice of words on my part. I also wasn't throwing you under the rug. It's a feeling I have in general.

Your overall tone in this post is unnecessary and disrespectful. I appreciate that you will reply more maturely in the future and I thank you for your cooperation as well as your understanding.

I'm not following the whole "talk about out of context" thing either, since it was you that brought up Finley in the first place. Perhaps a glance in the mirror is due? I'll do the same... brb.

I believe Mike Neal finished the 2010 season just the same as Finley, on Injured Reserve. I don't remember though. Then again, I don't even know why Finley is being mentioned at all, since the comments mentioned initially are completely different.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I brought Finley up, by mentioning that McCarthy told him to aim to "play in every game". Because it seems similar to the goal that you're pissed off at Neal for having. That's it. That's why Finley was mentioned. Just noting a similarity, and saying those ideas might come from the coaches in some way, since they are used in reference to two players coming off knee injuries. Nothing to get all excited about, yet you did.

As to "out of context", you brought that term up when I mentioned Finley, and then you used the same comparison to Finley when it suited your ideas, by pointing to Finley's attitude (the season after his injury) in relation to Neal's (just a few months removed from surgery). Unless I'm missing something, that comparison should still be just as out of context when you use it as it was when I used it. You think it's out of context because Finley displays a more ambitious attitude publicly. I think it's out of context because Finley was on his couch on IR last year after his surgery, compared to Neal being on the field this year after his.

As to tone, that's on you. You were the one getting annoyed and saying things bugged you and whatnot. Like I said, I didn't even think I was arguing with anyone, so don't scold me about tone. I was just talking about the topic until you got all annoyed and U-P-P-E-R-C-A-S-E-Y in your response to my post. I don't even have that strong of an opinion on this topic. You do. Any tone I am exhibiting comes out of surprise at your oddly emotional response to such an innocuous post.

And look at the other member here saying that you are bitchy lately. So it's not just me who got that impression. Sorry if I took you wrong, but judging from your consequent little scolding about my tone, I think you probably are all bitchy lately. Seems like there's a lot of that going around since the loss. Guess that'll happen.

Anywho, Neal almost got put on IR, was told he might have a painful chronic condition in his knee from now on, and is playing through pain and swelling. He's still only four months removed from surgery. I'm just not thinking it's too big of a deal that he's not out there talking about his goal for this season being to dominate people while hobbling around on one good leg. He's still in recovery from recent surgery. They rushed him back due to need at his position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteochondritis_dissecans 

Hopefully he can beat the odds. If he doesn't do it, then next man up! Oh, and in the words of the immortal Rodney King, "Can't we all just... just get along?"
nerdmann
12 years ago

This says more about Green Bay's desperation at OLB than it does Mike Neal's athleticism.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Agreed. It's taking too much of a chance. If he drops 40 lbs, he won't be able to play DL in this system. So if he drops the weight and can't hack it at OLB, it'll be yet ANOTHER lost season for Neal. Can we really afford that?

Now sure, he might flame out at DL again next year, but there's a much higher chance of him being able to play at a position he's played before. The question with all these converted DEs is can they run with a guy in coverage?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'd rather over pay for Mario Williams than the Packers try Mike Neal at OLB and skip on drafting someone at the position because of the attempted transition. Hell, overpay for Mario Williams regardless!
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Year Of The Take Over - maybe it will happen next year. What are you, from Iowa or something? [boxing]
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
12 years ago

I'd rather over pay for Mario Williams than the Packers try Mike Neal at OLB and skip on drafting someone at the position because of the attempted transition. Hell, overpay for Mario Williams regardless!

Mario Williams looked GREAT in the 3-4 before his injury. No joke. And he only tore his pec, which is not as bad long-term as a knee injury.

I wouldn't mind over-paying for him. Mario if he played like he played last year and CM3 would be devastating.
This is a placeholder
Laser Gunns
12 years ago

Mike Neal can't play DE or OLB. He's always hurt. I read a quote from him that completely soured me on him. He was asked what kind of impact he intends to have... he responded back with he just wants to on the field and that is his ONLY goal for 2011. Seriously?

I think I know what you are referring to. a reporter asked what his expectations were for this year, and he answered something like...

"I know a lot of the fans expect me to come in and be a pro-bowler, but right now my only goal is to get on the field..."

.... then he went and got his mystery injury and was MIA for the whole season.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
12 years ago

Mario Williams looked GREAT in the 3-4 before his injury. No joke. And he only tore his pec, which is not as bad long-term as a knee injury.

I wouldn't mind over-paying for him. Mario if he played like he played last year and CM3 would be devastating.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

Another guy who I really like the thought of as a big money FA OLB prospect, and also a DE who would have to convert is Cliff Avril. Looks like the Lions might not have the salary cap room to re-sign him, and he has ideal OLB size, at 6'3" 260 lbs. 11 1/2 sacks, something like 6 forced fumbles last year, two TDs, and he's only 25 years old.

Of course, I'm trying not to get my hopes up for big FAs, because that's not how Ted rolls, but it just sounds so tempting.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.