DakotaT
12 years ago

Keep in mind it is a long time until the final cut down. Any one of the WRs could have a season ending injury before the season starts. If DD is released it will prob be in the final cut. That said if they do plan to release him it may be best for him to have the Packers do so early so he has more time to sign with a new team.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I have no idea what his roster bonus and/or cap number is, but the money could be better used elsewhere. Paying Clifton top ten OT money for 5 games is absolutely assinine. Where's my partners in the trio of idiots - Nerdman and Non for this conversation?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Chad Clifton (from rotoworld)
3/5/2010: Signed a three-year, $19.58 million contract. The deal contains $7.5 million guaranteed, including an initial roster bonus of $6,376,250. In order to max out the contract, Clifton must be on the Packers' 45-man game-day roster 16 times in each year. He can earn another $250,000 annually via workout bonuses.
2012: $5.25 million (+ $203,125 roster bonus)
2013: Free Agent
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I have no idea what his roster bonus and/or cap number is, but the money could be better used elsewhere. Paying Clifton top ten OT money for 5 games is absolutely assinine. Where's my partners in the trio of idiots - Nerdman and Non for this conversation?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You don't need your posse for this discussion. If you read my first post I said Clifton is gone. I have not seen anyone say he is going to be back. I said Driver comes back only if he has a new (more affordable) contract. And I think there is only a 50-50 chance they will come to terms that are mutually agreeable.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
Keeping Driver for one more year more so affects the development of Randall Cobb. I am not even thinking of Gurley yet since he hasn't proven much other than to be good in a practice session or pre-season match up (not saying he isn't going to be good).

Cobb is the player we should worry about if Driver's contract is restructured. When a linebacker is covering a wide receiver, that is not a good thing.

Sad to say, but Driver either has to hang it up or find another team (even if its a division rival).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'm not sure Donald Driver's presence hurts Randall Cobb. It's only his second season. An off season of mentoring from Driver might do more good than harm. As I said before, maybe keep one less TE and keep an extra WR if there's a 6th WR worth keeping. This is of course only if Donald Driver proves some value to the Packers on the field. He sure as heck won't be much of a contributor on Special Teams so I think he'll probably be out ... unless the Packers keep one less TE and keep an extra WR who's skilled in Special Teams.

Of the three in the original post, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Scott Wells is the only player who will return.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I'm not sure Donald Driver's presence hurts Randall Cobb. It's only his second season. An off season of mentoring from Driver might do more good than harm. As I said before, maybe keep one less TE and keep an extra WR if there's a 6th WR worth keeping. This is of course only if Donald Driver proves some value to the Packers on the field. He sure as heck won't be much of a contributor on Special Teams so I think he'll probably be out ... unless the Packers keep one less TE and keep an extra WR who's skilled in Special Teams.

Of the three in the original post, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Scott Wells is the only player who will return.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Actually my 50-50 estimate on DD is high. It is more likely 35-65 that he will return. I simply wanted to say that it is far from a sure thing.
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago
What if Cobb is already better than Driver is? Driver's one of my favorite Packers of all-time, but he doesn't give the Packers' offense the kind of juice that Cobb does. Frankly, nobody does, which is why Cobb is such a special talent. The Packers need to devise ways to get him on the field more. Fact is that Driver's presence takes away snaps from Cobb, as James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Greg Jennings are going to receive the majority of reps. I'd argue that Cobb should see more reps than Jones because defenses need to account for his speed, but that‘s a different discussion.

For the sake of this discussion, Green Bay keeps Driver, so he can continue to mentor the young receivers. This is something he's good at and he's probably a more valuable locker room asset than he is on the field now. However, he's the No. 5 receiver. He'll probably earn more money than most No. 5 receivers will and he doesn't play special teams. Kevin brought up a sixth receiver, but that doesn’t matter. The No. 5 receiver must contribute to special teams. If you lose a TE, then you’re losing a special teams player. In that sense, the No. 6 receiver isn’t pushing the No. 5 receiver out of the special teams lineup. He’s pushing that TE because odds are high that TE was playing a special teams role. There's only so many guys activated on game day. Driver's not running down the field and covering kicks anytime soon. The numbers just aren’t in his favor.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
good one porky. I was going to mention the TE played ST and failed to do so.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I said last year Clifton wouldn't be worth it. Turns out I was right, he missed more than four games. Still I'm not sure he doesn't stick again this year. At least until Sherrod is ready. AND proves he can play. I suspect Sherrod might land on the PUP while he's still recovering from the broken leg, which will also keep him from getting reps in the offseason.

As for DD, he's got an uphill battle. Not only does he have to prove he's a better player than these other guys, but that a short term investment in him is preferable to a long term investment in the younger guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago
Lots of good points, pro and con, mostly con on keeping Driver.

This I know was posted already but thought i would include the link

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120210/PKR01/120210198/Green-Bay-Packers-WR-Donald-Driver-willing-to-take-a-pay-cut-to-stay-with-the-team?odyssey=tab |topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Another interesting article from a week or so ago had this little blurb:

• Even though the Packers are well-stocked with young running backs like James Starks, Brandon Saine and Alex Green, who showed some flashes before suffering a season-ending knee injury, our sources suspect the team will still re-sign RB Ryan Grant, probably to a one-year deal.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/02/04/seahawks-believe-healthy-gallery-will-rebound 

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/139393643.html 

Too early to speculate IMHO, but I'll play.

Chad Clifton retires.

Donald Driver restructures his contract and is back in 2012.

Ryan Grant signs 1 yr deal and is back.

Scott Wells is signed to a 3 - 5 yr deal.

Jermicheal Finley leaves via Free Agency.

Charles Woodson re-structures his contract to be more cap friendly in 2012.

Rb's/Fb's at start of training camp:
Ryan Grant, James Starks, Alex Green, John Kuhn, Brandon Saine,Jon Hoese
If no injuries, Hoese goes to PS the rest make final cuts and are on 53 man roster.

Wr's at start of training camp
Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Gurley, Borel and Smithson
Smithson and Borel go to PS, the rest make the final cuts and are on 53 man roster.

TE's at start of training camp
Crabtree, Quarless, Taylor and Williams
All make final cuts and are on 53 man roster

5 rb's, 6 wr's, 4 te's if I am right that is 1 more than the total last year at start of the season, that 1 will come from 1 less lb kept on final roster.

Bonus Info:

For their 1st pick of the 2012 draft The Green Bay Packers select:

CHANDLER JONES DE/OLB Syracuse University.

There I put it out there and will stick with it.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.