nerdmann
12 years ago
I like Arrigo's posts too, and I think he's a great guy. I just disagree.

No one has more on the line (other than Nick of course) than Nick's doctor. Nick's doctor performed the surgery. HE is the guy who has to say YES or NO. He said YES.

If he clears Nick and Nick subsequently goes out there and breaks his neck, that makes the doctor look like a total asshole. You think any pro athlete is ever going to go see him again?

Therefore I believe that this dude is going to be extra cautious and extra conservative. If there's any doubt whatsoever in his mind, he will tell Nick NO, don't do it.

But that's not what he said. Therefore I conclude that there should be no reason he shouldn't play again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
12 years ago
LINK 

Nick Collins was one of the NFL's best safeties for the Green Bay Packers. But he broke his neck.

Wow, Nick broke his neck? First I've heard about it.

All I heard was that Nick had a glorified stinger from a dude coming down straight on top of his helmet, and in subsequent scans a slightly bulging disc was found. To which the doctors overreacted, imo.

But nowhere have I ever heard that he "broke his neck."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

LINK 

Wow, Nick broke his neck? First I've heard about it.

All I heard was that Nick had a glorified stinger from a dude coming down straight on top of his helmet, and in subsequent scans a slightly bulging disc was found. To which the doctors overreacted, imo.

But nowhere have I ever heard that he "broke his neck."

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

And the doctors are always right to over react when it comes to someones neck, no question there. Which is why I think IF the doctor who performed the surgery is saying Nick Collins can play in the NFL again, I believe that says a helluva lot. I wasn't thinking a doctor would clear him to play. But thinking about how he never suffered any paralysis (only numbness in the limbs) and the first doctor (I think it was the first doctor anyhow) cleared him ... I think there's a good chance he plays again.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

No one has more on the line (other than Nick of course) than Nick's doctor. Nick's doctor performed the surgery. HE is the guy who has to say YES or NO. He said YES.

Did his doctor really say yes? I haven't read anything official yet. Did I miss something, or is this just speculation?

Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Did his doctor really say yes? I haven't read anything official yet. Did I miss something, or is this just speculation?

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I believe that is being assumed because Nick Collins (reportedly from his friends) have stated he's bouncing off the walls with excitement to get back on the field.

I have no heard anything official yet, nor do I expect to until after the NFL Draft. I think the Packers know what they are going to do and I think it's going to be Nick Collins playing for them again.

I think the discussions could go one of two ways.

1 - Nick Collins, you were cleared by your doctor an our doctors, you want to play, your family wants you playing, you will play in the NFL. One condition, do NOT tell anyone until we make it official.

2 - Nick Collins, you were cleared by your doctor, but not our doctors, thus, you are not playing for the Packers. Do not tell anyone of this until we make it official.

Of course, they could have said "we have our decision and you'll know after the draft" too.

UserPostedImage
lolleren
12 years ago

2 - Nick Collins, you were cleared by your doctor, but not our doctors, thus, you are not playing for the Packers. Do not tell anyone of this until we make it official.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What would Nick have to gain by helping the packers preserve this secret? If he have been told he is not coming back with the packers he and his agent would probaly start looking at other options, if he believes he got a shot at resuming his career and wants to do this.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

What would Nick have to gain by helping the packers preserve this secret? If he have been told he is not coming back with the packers he and his agent would probaly start looking at other options, if he believes he got a shot at resuming his career and wants to do this.

Originally Posted by: lolleren 

Thank you for this. 🙂 That comment is exactly why I am leaning on the prediction of Nick Collins resuming his NFL playing career. It's easier for Nick Collins to keep quiet when he has something to "lose", than if he's told hey keep your lip zipped and you're done by the way.

Nothing has been said officially by anyone yet though, so purely speculation on my part from the quotes I've read from various sources.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
My understanding is that HIS doctor cleared him, but the Packers are trying to talk him into retiring. Don't have any articles on hand at the moment.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

My understanding is that HIS doctor cleared him, but the Packers are trying to talk him into retiring. Don't have any articles on hand at the moment.

I haven't read or heard anything about the Packers wanting Nick Collins to retire. I do know prior to the results of the last doctor visit Mike McCarthy went on record to saying if Nick Collins were his son, he'd want him to retire. However, if the doctors say he's no more at risk now than a year ago, I think he would change his mind.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Nick Collins, his agent and the Packers decision makers are discussing what the next move is for Collins and the team. While the rumor is Collins received the “OK” to resume his career, the Thompson and Mike McCarthy are not to sure if they want to take the enhanced risk of letting Collins play for the Packers. This is a highly fluid situation and the Packers brass wants whats best for Collins long term (after football) and was told they are 80-90% certain he won’t be a Packer in 2012 and if he is (a Packer)” he needs to get in the sales business after he retires”. I was told from an NFC Scout that he wouldn’t let Collins play for his team because “a neck injury is nothing to play with and the risk doesn’t outweigh the reward.”

For the rest of the OTS click here The Average Joe Show 

Originally Posted by: Arrigo 

Looks like this was accurate.

UserPostedImage