play2win
12 years ago
Thrilla, I'm guessing they are happy with Evan Deitrich-Smith as our backup C for 2012. Maybe they looked at that and figured the greater priority was defensive starters & depth. I wanted Ted to take a C too, but what we have could work fine this year. There is also the possibility that there wasn't anyone available who was more talented than Sampson Genus, another C from their PS.

I don't have any complaints about this draft. They were aggressive in securing -their- players after R1, which I thought was great. All of them have some remarkable intangibles at their positions, those that are often coveted. All seem to be fits in character as well.

Some DL/LBs from 2011 will have to battle for their jobs with this kind of talent infused. Wynn, Neal, Wilson, Green, Zombo, Walden, Jones, So'oto - they all have to fight like hell. They could all be gone. 9 sacks total by those 8 players...
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
+ 1 to everyone who has bothered to post in this thread. My thanks.

Especially since I know, and you all know, that what I say about individual college players is worth no more than the paper the original post is printed on.

I am not a draft expert. I would never pretend that I’m an expert on college football players. To my mind, the only people who are those things do it as a full time job.

I don’t hang out with the right people. Almost all of the people who are experts work for NFL or NCAA teams. The very few experts who aren’t -- the Mayocks and Kipers -- hang out almost constantly with those team experts via pro days and Blackberry. And even those I would never want making real personnel decisions for the Green Bay Packers. (Everyone remember’s how well Matt Millen panned out as an NFL executive, right? And Millen had far better information about player possibilities than Mayock and Kiper, much less any of us. ) The needed kind of expertise is not even just a full-time job, it’s 50/60/70/more hours/week job with lots of travel and really big Rolodexes. It’s a job that takes years of practice.

Anyone else is either a fan, a hobbyist, a pretender, or some combination thereof. Everyone else is guessing on information that is seriously, woefully, incomplete.

I don’t pretend to be anything other than a fan who, for a couple months a year, eats up third- and fourth- and fifth-hand information about prospects, and then puts that information together with my fanitude, with my beliefs about the Packers system and needs, and with my beliefs about what would make players a good fit for that system and needs. I really care about what other teams might do when I believe their choices might affect Packer options, strategies, and tactics. For a couple months a year I give my gut feelings and those l0w-quality information sources free reins, vent and cheer and piss and moan and opine strenuously about a couple hundred prospects.

And for the rest of the year, I could care less about college football. And I could care less about players 45-90 on other pro teams. For me, college football only is interesting at draft time. For me, I care about other teams only insofar as they are playing the Packers, affecting the Packers won/loss record, or are rivalry teams like the meatheads down south or the silly guys in purple and yellow.

Draft discussions are, for me, the kind of things guys (of whatever gender) do when hanging out in bars. Sometimes we’ve got a bit too much alcoholic lubrication. Sometimes we talk out of our ass. And, virtually always, we let our hobbyist pretensions, our fandom, or both, lead us into claims that should never be persuasive to any serious expert on college prospects.

I’ve always liked bars. I like that kind of social interaction. Now that I’m a geezer, I can’t hang out at bars the way I used to, but thankfully there are places like online chats providing a really good substitute. But whether its a bar or a chatroom, it’s not the kind of talk that I use to worry about “being right” all that much. It’s a place to get loud and obnoxious, and claim certainties that no mind with an ounce of reflective ability should ever truly believe are certainties. A place where you can set aside the damn job, make gratuitous comments about sex and Sage Steele, about politics and the pinheads of Washington, and about the stupidity of Viking fans and one’s fellow humans.

A place where you can hang out with other people who like to do the same things.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Green Bay Packers: The Packers had eight picks and used them all on defense. I love the picks of Worthy and CB Casey Heyward (62) in Round 2, though I’m not sold that Nick Perry (29) will fit Green Bay’s scheme that well. But this is a franchise that deserves the benefit of the doubt. Grade: B-plus

CNNSI.com wrote:

So, eight picks and all eight were on defense? More evidence that draft grades are stupid, especially when the person shooting out the grades doesn't even know the picks made.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

So, eight picks and all eight were on defense? More evidence that draft grades are stupid, especially when the person shooting out the grades doesn't even know the picks made.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Don't you know our new QB doubles as a Defensive Tackle and our new OL doubles as our Strong Safety?
[sarcasm]
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I like TT's draft. He did what he had to do. He went and got the BPAs that filled a critical need. Personally, I like Perry. I think he has more potential than McClellen, he also played against much stronger competition. Ted Thompson must have also liked him because he passed on Upshaw to get him. Worthy is a nice pick with that 2. The only other person I could see worth that consideration was Still. Trading down would have made getting players of this caliber risky at best. The only way I would have considered that is if one of the worst teams offered a rediculous trade. Like their 2nd, 4th and 1st next year for our 1st. Now, having rookies drafted at these points having an impact is far from certain. So let's hope for the best.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

"The Charlotte Bobcats have a better win percentage than some of the 'expert' mock drafts.''
-- TCrabtree83, Green Bay tight end Tom Crabtree.

Guilty as charged, your honor.

Peter King wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
^ love it.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Peter King if I'm not mistaken picked 2 picks for our 1st round pick - who he thought we'd get and who he thinks we should have gotten. We ended up with both players. So maybe he's wrong for other teams, but he was right for us and strangely, with 2 picks.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Peter King if I'm not mistaken picked 2 picks for our 1st round pick - who he thought we'd get and who he thinks we should have gotten. We ended up with both players. So maybe he's wrong for other teams, but he was right for us and strangely, with 2 picks.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

He was 1 for 2, which at .500 is helluva lot better than the Bobcats!

28 PACKERS
WILL PICK - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
SHOULD PICK - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Worthy would be the long-term replacement for Cullen Jenkins, though I could see G.M. Ted Thompson going for a big-potential outside threat like Nick Perry or Shea McClellin as a bookend pass rusher for Clay Matthews. Martin is the kind of versatile cold-weather back who would fit the Pack perfectly. "He's this draft's Ray Rice," one personnel man told me.

Peter King  wrote:

UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I was 2 for 2 on our first 2 picks...even though I had them bassackwards!!! [palm]
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.