Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I think this is the defensive alignment we'll see the Packers in more often than any other this season.

[list=1]
  • Raji
  • Pickett

• Matthews III
  • Hawk
  • Bishop
  • Perry

• Hayward
  • Woodson
  • Burnett
  • McMillian
  • [*]Williams[/list]
    UserPostedImage
    Rockmolder
    12 years ago
    So you're thinking a permanent nickle package, but with mostly 3-4 personel?

I think that this is the year that we'll actually see a lot more 3-4 fronts. You have to cover up your weaknesses and it was quite obvious that, after all the injuries and Jenkins' departure, we had just two starting caliber D-linemen on the roster. With that solved, we should see some more base 3-4's.

I'm going to go with....

1. Pickett
    2. Raji
    3. Muir/Worthy 'till Hargrove and Neal come back, then the rotation gets really interesting.

4. Matthews
    5. Bishop
    6. Hawk
    7. Perry

8. Woodson/Shields
    9. Burnett
    10. Peprah/Woodson
    11. Williams

The real interesting thing to me in this base package is whether they try to get the most talent on the field at once, with Woodson going to safety and Shields taking over at CB or go with their best corner tandem out there.

I'm pretty certain that McMillian is at least a year away from being a starting caliber safety and that, at least this year, Peprah will have a better shot at winning the starting job than he has.

As for your package... I can't imagine that they'd go with Pickett there. It seems like a package that's designed against the pass, with the extra DB and losing a big guy. Pickett eats up some blocks but offers absolutely nothing in the pass rushing department. If I where to call that package, I'd replace him with someone like Hargrove or Neal when they come back and with Worthy to start the season. I'm far from an expert, but that looks more sensible to me.
    DoddPower
    12 years ago
    I agree with Zero's post for the most part. I expect to see much more subpackages than base 3-4, just like last season. That is mostly a result of teams being forced to score a lot of points on the Packers which generally involves lots of passing. I think I remember Dom saying at some point his goal is to get to sub packages as quickly as possible, and I don't think that's necessarily a personnel issue.

I also agree that Worthy should take Pickett's spot. If he does it will only be a good thing for the team. The one DL spot beside Raji will be occupied by Worthy/Hargrove/Neal/Daniels whenever all those guys are available. I'm still under the impression that Mike Daniels was specifically drafted to push the pocket from the inside on passing downs. I hope these rookies adjust quickly.

Another interesting point about Zero's depth chart is the absence of Shields as the nickle back. Hayward has that potential, but I still think Shields is the nickle back, at least for most of this season. He just has too much speed and raw talent to bench. It's worth giving him a shot for a bounce back season, although perhaps it won't happen. He was undrafted for SOME reason, I suppose. Either way, I think Hayward will be a great player in the future.

I'd be surprised to see McMillian starting early, but I think it may be worth it to "throw him out there." He can't possibly be much worse than Peprah, and at least he has room to grow. He also has much more speed than any of the other options. Throw him out there early and deal with the growing pains. They moved up to get him for a reason. I've said it before, but I really don't like Charlie "The Turtle" Peprah.
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    12 years ago
    I think Dom has a box of tinker toys. He is going to have a lot of fun putting together a defense taking it apart and putting new pieces in place. 1,2,3 man fronts. 3-4 LBs. 4-6 DBs. He is going move them all around.

Raji, Picket and Worthy will line up all over the place.
    Perry will be up on the line and OLB. Smith and Manning will get shots at ILB.
    The backfield will most often have Williams, Woodson, Shields and Burnett. Peprah, Hayward and McMillian will see a lot of time on the field.

UserPostedImage
    PackerTraxx
    12 years ago
    If Perry rushes the passer better with his hand on the ground I hope they let him do that often. Last evening there was a Philly player on ESPN that was getting 4 or 5 sacks a year, the last 2 years he has had double digit sacks. The differnce he said was splitting him wide and putting his hand on the ground. I only caught the tail end but it sounded like he is a LB.
    Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
    zombieslayer
    12 years ago
    My personal opinion (with the disclaimer that more than half of you know D better than I do), Rock's makes the most sense. I think #3 will have a heavy rotation and I see Woodson moving around, maybe even more than 2 positions in '12.
    My man Donald Driver
    UserPostedImage
    (thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
    2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
    beast
    12 years ago
    I'm a big Pickett fan and think he's over looked by a lot of fans. But I think he's a bad fit for the 2-4 nickel defense as they ask both DT to pass rush up the field in that set and that's Picketts weakness...

If Perry rushes the passer better with his hand on the ground I hope they let him do that often. Last evening there was a Philly player on ESPN that was getting 4 or 5 sacks a year, the last 2 years he has had double digit sacks. The differnce he said was splitting him wide and putting his hand on the ground. I only caught the tail end but it sounded like he is a LB.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I'm not sure but it would make more sense to me if they're talking about a 4-3 DE (my guess is it was DE Jason Babin). I don't think the Eagles blitzed too much last year, and the Eagles played a wide 9 set up for their DL which means they spread their DEs way far out which gives them better angles against the OT and therefor better pass rushes and pressure. The weakness of that is your spreading your DL out which means it's easier to run on, and there for your defensive guys better be able to more than hold their own in the running game... (Lions also run the wide 9 set up at times, put they've got very talented DTs to pull it off and the more pass rush helps their weakness which is their DBs.).

But I agree with the idea, Kampman rushed better with his hand down, and I didn't understand why they didn't let him put his hand down while in the 3-4. Especially in the 2-4 nickel, where the 3-4 OLBers go up to the line and basically turn into undersized stand up 4-3 DEs with the two DTs on the inside.

UserPostedImage
    DoddPower
    12 years ago

I'm a big Pickett fan and think he's over looked by a lot of fans. But I think he's a bad fit for the 2-4 nickel defense as they ask both DT to pass rush up the field in that set and that's Picketts weakness...

But I agree with the idea, Kampman rushed better with his hand down, and I didn't understand why they didn't let him put his hand down while in the 3-4. Especially in the 2-4 nickel, where the 3-4 OLBers go up to the line and basically turn into undersized stand up 4-3 DEs with the two DTs on the inside.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think Pickett is a little under rated as well. He is a great run stuffer and rarely gets pushed out of the way. But he does offer little in the passing game. Still a vital player though, especially against run heavy teams.

I also didn't understand the situation with Kampman either. Caper's seems to be overly strict and confined to his scheme most of the time, even though it doesn't fully utilize some players strengths, primarily someone like Kampman. He uses exotic packages at times, but doesn't seem interested in running any type of hybrid 3-4/4-3 system. Perhaps he feels it would just be too complicated on the players or something, I don't know, but it's frustrating at times. I'm curious as to how much he's going to force the scheme on Perry or if he'll transition him more slowly and allow him to put his hand on the ground some. As you said, there's really little difference in the nickle packages for DE's other than stance and therefore technique. If someone like Perry is clearly better rushing with his hand in the ground, let him do it sometimes.

beast
    12 years ago
    What defense alignment will we see most from the 2012 Packers defense?

I believe the Packers have been running mostly nickel packages for years with normally taking a LB off the field while in the 4-3 and taking a DL out while in the 3-4 (then moving the OLBers up to the line to act like stand up 4-3 DEs) and last year I think they used 2-4 nickel a ton.

BUT Mike McCarthy and Capers both said their using the 3 DL sets more often this coming year, but that doesn't mean it will be the most often used... just used more than last year.

So my guess is the most used alignment will be a nickel 2-4 package but the players will rotate in it... but more often...

And the OLBers move up close to the OL.

OLB Perry
    DT Raji
    DT Worthy
    OLB Matthews

ILB Bishop
    ILB Jones (as a coverage LB)

CB/S/LB Woodson (all depends on the game play each week as what his role is)

CB Williams
    FS Burnett
    SS Peprah / McMillian
    CB ????? CB battle

Shields won the nickel job the Super Bowl year but seemed to get benched for Bush at times late last year. House has a TON of physical talent and Hayward has a ton of great instincts for both coverage and the ball. Honestly I could see them going with the hot hand or switching based on the match-ups.

UserPostedImage
    zombieslayer
    12 years ago
    Beast - I like how you have Woodson lining up at LB occasionally. I can see that happening in obvious passing downs. Woodson will take out the TE.
    My man Donald Driver
    UserPostedImage
    (thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
    2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
    beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
    Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
    Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    1h / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.