nerdmann
11 years ago
I was just reading this article from Madison.com  and it says Gurley is 6' 4 1/2". Damn! And he's bulked up to 230lbs.

Spending last season on the practice squad gave Gurley a jump-start on resculpting his body to take better advantage of his 6-foot-4½ size. He said he played his senior season in college at 234 pounds but considered it bad weight, and dropped to 218 for training camp last year...This offseason he’s added seven more, up to 230 pounds, where he plans to remain.

Finley's what, 6' 5" and 245lbs?

Just seems to me that Gurley's within range to maybe play a different position. Finding bigger guys who can run pass routes is all the rage nowadays. Just a thought. Might be more room for him at TE. (It's crowded there, but he might be able to beat one of those guys out easier than one of the WRs.)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
11 years ago

I was just reading this article from Madison.com  and it says Gurley is 6' 4 1/2". Damn! And he's bulked up to 230lbs.

Finley's what, 6' 5" and 245lbs?

Just seems to me that Gurley's within range to maybe play a different position. Finding bigger guys who can run pass routes is all the rage nowadays. Just a thought. Might be more room for him at TE. (It's crowded there, but he might be able to beat one of those guys out easier than one of the WRs.)

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It's an interesting thought. My guess is he would ONLY provide value as a pass catcher and would not be a blocker at all. That would seem to essentially make him a WR. Judging from this picture in the article, he certainly doesn't look like a tight end. It could be misleading though, as I haven't seen him in quite some time now.

EDIT: I went back and re-read the caption and noticed that this photo was from almost a year ago. Perhaps his arms look a lot bigger now with the additional weight. I assumed the photo in that article was recent. Opps.

UserPostedImage
Green Bay Packers rookie Tori Gurley makes a catch during Training Camp at Ray Nitschke Field Tuesday, August 16, 2011. Jim Matthews/Press-Gazette

Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago
Gurley's size would put him right between TO and Calvin Johnson.

I think he would be a good fit at WR. Specially with the reputation he has for great hands. But all our pass catchers block down field.

I was watching a highlight video of his and he looked pretty fearless going over the middle taking shots from 3 defenders at a time.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Tori Gurley
40 Time: 4.53
40 Low: 4.46
40 High: 4.67
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
11 years ago
Finley clocked a 4.87 second forty at the combine. Nelson clocked a 4.51,Jennings a 4.42, and Cobb a 4.46.
play2win
11 years ago
I doubt Gurley would want to make a position change to TE. The pay is far less. The guy is of prototypical size to be a real force at WR, and should be given an opportunity to contribute there. I have to say, I have been really excited to see what this kid can do for us in GB. He could be something really special at WR.
beast
11 years ago
I think the Redskins took a WR and moved him to TE. (WR/TE Niles Paul). But Mike McCarthy doesn't seem to like switching guys unless he has too. Take CB Blackmon for example... I thought he was clearly a WR or FS in the pros (after playing mostly CB and his senior year at WR) then they moved him to FS late in his time with the Packers. I don't think the Packers will be moving him... though it could be an interesting idea.

I'm thinking Quarless with be on the PUP or IR list and a WR could take his spot this year as a 6th WR. I think there is a chance, though also depends on the whole talent of the team weather they keep 6 WRs or not.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago
With Gurley's size, it would be an intriguing idea...but don't see it happening. I have been waiting for this guy to get his shot and hopefully this is the year. Watched a little bit of his days as a Gamecock and he was very impressive.

Huge receiver with a lot of upside. I would even like to go as far to say if he does have an impressive off season, the Packers should cut ties with James Jones...we have the depth at WR.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I too am anxious to see Gurley this fall. Hope he proves to be too good to not make the team, that means there's an upgrade somewhere.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
11 years ago
Why do we feel the need to label a guy like this to one position or another with the Packers system?

Similar to whom is the #3 receiver? In this system... it really matters little, it is the guy that draws the match up in which he wins.. that is where the ball is going. IMO, more about what the defense does or doesn't do.. than where the guy is penciled in on the depth chart.

What do we know about Mike McCarthy and company... they have designed an offense that is predicated on creating match up or scheme issues for the defense. That an lots of pre-snap movement to assist the QB / receivers in getting a read on coverage or presnap adjustments the defense is making.

It is a chess match.

So a guy with Gurley's size and skill should give the Packers another match up issue for the defense in which they will have to account for. Even at 245, he hasn't been asked to put his hand down and fire off.. so why would they now, especially after they carried what a half dozen TE types last season, would they try an convert him.

Let him continue to grow into a pass catcher.. then if he can't create space on the outside, then worry about maybe kick him in.

Even in this watered down version of the game of football, one in which apparently the league has chosen to have scoring as its key element, it is still a game of match ups and adjustments.

Gurley gives the defense something to ponder on the edge. And hopefully will force adjustments.. thus opening up space elsewhere.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (9h) : damn those vikings
beast (10h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (17h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (18h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.