zombieslayer
11 years ago
I think the problem was two-fold:
1) not aggressive enough D. That falls on Dom,
2) As a few others have mentioned, the lack of pass rush. That comes from higher than Dom, specifically 🇹🇹 and his crew.

2 was due to Cullen Jenkins leaving and nobody replacing him.

Also, 2 was addressed in the offseason. Whether or not it works remains to be seen.

For the record, I'd rather go down aggressively than passively, and Dom went down passively. Unacceptable.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
11 years ago
Getting turnovers is great.
But if you constantly also give up big plays, then you really arn't accomplishing much.

The non existant pass rush is what killed them last year. Every QB they played against looked like Tom Brady.
Hopefully the new guys will stop that from happening this year.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago

You're the definition of throwing shit against a wall and watching what sticks, lol. [grin1]

Total Defense - yards
32nd - Packers with 411.6 per game

Total Defense - points
19th - Packers with 22.4 points per game

Packers defense under Dom Capers hasn't been bad, it's been far more good than bad. The lack of tackling is a NFL issue, just as much as it is a Packers issue. I'm not holding my breath that the Packers suddenly are going to be a capable tackling team this year. I can confidently say the lack of tackling by the Packers has absolutely nothing to do with Dom Capers allegedly being "conservative". That's not saying Capers couldn't be more aggressive in some defensive calls... but the same can be said for a couple dozen defensive coordinators.

Point being, Dom Capers is a good DC, better than most. Remember it was his defense that played a key role in the Packers winning the Super Bowl in the 2010 season. How easily the ungrateful forget ... [aiee]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This one's stickin'! lol

Zero2Cool
11 years ago

This one's stickin'! lol

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Yes sir, and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it's comical how a couple think the Packers defense was not aggressive last year, yet flip around and say the Packers defense took too many chances. After all, leading the league in interceptions is a direct correlation to not being aggressive, lol.

That's not to say I like any use of the three man rush, I really don't. I understand it has its place and accept that aspect, I just don't like it. Who plays Madden like that? Exactly!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I can tolerant (not like it but tolerate) a bump out of bounds. But I can stand it when I see it in the middle of the field with the ball carrier clearly in control of his balance.
I have been yelling for the coaches to make the players wrap up and tackle the guy for years. Slapping and pulling at the ball is another annoyance. If they hit the ball on their way to tackling, ok. If the second guy their goes for the ball after the first guy wraps up the carrier, ok. But when the first defender tries to reach in and steal the ball while the carrier is going full speed that is not ok. That usually gives them another 5-10 yards. Often more.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don’t do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”

And that means you practice the right way and you tackle the right way in practice! 🙂
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Yes sir, and I have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it's comical how a couple think the Packers defense was not aggressive last year, yet flip around and say the Packers defense took too many chances. After all, leading the league in interceptions is a direct correlation to not being aggressive, lol.

That's not to say I like any use of the three man rush, I really don't. I understand it has its place and accept that aspect, I just don't like it. Who plays Madden like that? Exactly!

Apples and oranges.

The DBs were aggressive. They took chances.

The playcalling was passive. They often rushed 3 and let the O dictate, then reacted accordingly and prayed the O made a mistake.

So we're talking about 2 different things here - the DBs' aggressiveness vs the playcalling aggressiveness. Actually, the DB aggression would have worked (as it did in 2010) had we had a better pass rush.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
11 years ago

Apples and oranges.

The playcalling was passive. They often rushed 3 and let the O dictate, then reacted accordingly and prayed the O made a mistake.

So we're talking about 2 different things here - the DBs' aggressiveness vs the playcalling aggressiveness. Actually, the DB aggression would have worked (as it did in 2010) had we had a better pass rush.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Capers just didn't have the guys who could get it done.

I trust him doing it with smoke and mirrors moreso than I would Bob Sanders. Or just about anyone.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don’t do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”

And that means you practice the right way and you tackle the right way in practice! :)

yes it is. I never said they should not practice properly.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
Authority is delegated, responsibility isn't. Our defensive failures are on Murphy, Thompson, McCarthy and Capers. If they were running a sub squadron, (for example- non Marine reference for once, lol) chances are decent they would have all been relieved of their duties.

"Yes, we sunk many boats last year, but ultimately we lost as our crews failed to execute in the end, and we will correct it this year." Ya, that dog would surely hunt in the Navy.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

You know which plays were called defensively? Sweet, can you share where you got that from? And do you also by chance know which plays were audibled on the field and which plays a player was supposed to attack but dropped in coverage instead? This could make this discussion extremely interesting!

I'm not able to blame Dom Capers play calling on the lack of pass rush. The Packers sent extra defenders more than nearly the entire NFL and they failed. (that bit of information was posted by someone else, but I heard it elsewhere too-would be nice to have it sourced)

UserPostedImage