wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

Tedy Bruschi, the former New England Patriots linebacker and current ESPN analyst, sees a big difference between Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers yelling at teammates during Thursday night’s 23-10 Packers’ victory at Lambeau Field.

Cutler screamed at offensive lineman J’Marcus Webb and bumped into him after Webb gave up a sack to Packers linebacker Clay Matthews. Rodgers yelled at receiver James Jones after an interception when Jones ran the wrong route.

On “The Scott Van Pelt Show ” on ESPN Radio via ESPN Chicago, Bruschi explained the difference.

“I don’t even think it’s a big thing that he bumped him or he pushed him,” Bruschi said. “The big thing was about when he chose to get on J’Marcus Webb, and the difference between when Aaron Rodgers chose to get on (James) Jones, the wide receiver.

“Now J’Marcus Webb, all he did was get beat physically. He was in the right place, he did his best to block Clay Matthews, and he got beat. Clay Matthews got the sack on Jay Cutler. Clay Matthews has beaten many offensive tackles who are a lot better than J’Marcus Webb. So when you get on somebody and embarrass somebody on national TV for getting beat physically, it’s almost like you’re kicking a man when he’s down. Ok, yes, you lost. He’s just not better than Clay Matthews. Clay Matthews was better than him on that play. There’s nothing you can do. There’s no scheme or anything. It was one man against another, and you lose. You kick him when he’s down, it’s not the right thing to do.

“James Jones made a mental error. … That’s when you can get on players. That’s when you can get in their grill because they made a poor decision. That justifies any type of criticism you can give them on national TV or not.”

Mike Vandermause wrote:

rest of story 

while I am not a big Bruschi fan, he does make a good point. There is a difference between getting beat by a better player and running the wrong route. That said one thing I have noticed over the years is that is the receiver who "runs the wrong route". It is never the QB who throws to the wrong route.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago
I remember Tom Brady overthrowing Wes Welker in the 2007 SB, then screaming at Welker for apparently running the wrong route. Wes Welker, the guy who was doing everything right in that SB loss.

They went on to lose, of course, and I made $$$ on that SB. Ha ha Tom Brady.

But yeah, it's always the receiver's fault, never the QB. I wonder what Pack93z thinks about that. 🤔
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago

I remember Tom Brady overthrowing Wes Welker in the 2007 SB, then screaming at Welker for apparently running the wrong route. Wes Welker, the guy who was doing everything right in that SB loss.

They went on to lose, of course, and I made $$$ on that SB. Ha ha Tom Brady.

But yeah, it's always the receiver's fault, never the QB. I wonder what Pack93z thinks about that. 🤔

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I had him in mind as I posted this. We think alike some of the time. :-"
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
11 years ago
Cutler always looks like his mom just took his pacifier away.
Rodgers looks like a calm, cool, mature leader.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I don't remember who it was, I think Schlereth or Bruschi, said because it was a physical thing what Cutler should have done was talk to the O coordinator to get Webb some help. Makes sense to me.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
11 years ago
My thoughts are probably predictable in nature on the topic; that they should be held in the same regards as any other player.

If they want to bark due to a mistake, then they should be held with the same accountability. If they read it incorrectly, then they should get the same ear full.

For some freaking reason, they seem to be untouchable though, the glory boys as they were.

I get it.. both are heat of the moment type reactions, and both probably should have been frustrated. My point is, if they want to dress someone down for an error, fine, but just take it when the failure falls on your shoulders. Rodgers might be harder on himself than anyone.. but if he wants to scream and holler, fine.. then I would expect someone to beat him down verbally for the misread into Briggs chest. Or the overthrow to Jennings week one.. or the next time he leads a player into a hit.. I expect him to get verbally smoked on the field.

Problem is everyone from pee wee football on has coddled their candy asses in just about every fashion. They are propped up to be leaders of the offense or sometimes the team, and most cases, they either don't deserve it or can't handle it. But because they play this overvalued position of glory (or blame), they are expected to be the leader. Guys like Cutler, Sanchez and McNabb, they just don't have the cloth behind them to pull it off. Even guys like Flacco struggle to earn their stripes as a leader of a team or offense.

The difference between Cutler and Rodgers.. the real difference, one has earned the right to be looked upon a leader because of how he has handled himself upon the team. The other simply has not.. Jay Cutler is doomed in Chitown because he quit on this team in the NFC championship game. Rodgers will openly admit his mistakes, Cutler will reassign blame at the drop of a pin.

That is the difference between the two.. I get why no one will probably say it on camera, but it really is the difference. One has and gets "it"... the other never has and probably never will.

Btw..

Another unspoken rule, never I repeat never chastise those whose responsibility it is to protect your ass. Most give an offensive line little credit... the limelight is generally not focused their direction.. unless something goes wrong. For every completion you make, their are at least five guys that allowed the throw. Belittling them.. that isn't going to help you on damn bit. No football player ever dreams of getting dominated like Webb was.. but it certainly wasn't because of a lack of effort. Want to get pissed at someone.. walk over to Meathead and ask for some help on that matchup.

Truth be told.. if I am Webb on that field.. I turn to Jay and knock him on his ass. That is dead serious.. I would light his ass up with reminders of every piss poor throw and read he was making all night long. Not that it will sink in, but someone on that team needs to light his ass up.. Urlacher took the opposite approach after Jay quit on the team in 2010.. it certainly didn't help the cause. Cutler hasn't earned shit in the NFL beyond having an NFL arm and physically being able to take a hit. Beyond that.. it has been a failure, most notably he doesn't have the mental toughness to excel at this level. Cut and Dried in my eyes.. at the first hint of adversity, he mentally and emotionally bails. Best decision for the Packers that the Bears ever made.. overpaying for Jay Cutler.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Against the Patriots in I believe 2005, Aaron Rodgers chewed out the OL. He played the second half with a broken bone in his foot.

Quite a few folks were blasting the hell out of Rodgers for doing so, stating he hasn't earned that "right".

What I found encouraging about Aaron Rodgers earlier in his career was he took his OL out to dinner, had them over to his house for get together's and what have you. I don't know if Jay Cutler has done this, but it is something Rodgers does.

When a player messes up, there has to be a leader to put him in check, regardless of draft position, salary or tenure. Unfortunately in today's game, everything is captured on film and taken out of context.

I think both could have handled each outburst better. Heat of the moment in a competitive game .. that's not the easiest thing to do.

Aaron Rodgers HATES interceptions and he HATES mental errors. He's admitted this repeatedly. He said he's fine with guys getting beat, but if its a mental mistake, unacceptable.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
Cutlers sucks. Rodgers is great.

Oh not that difference.

Outside of the bump or push, there wasn't a difference. I would actually say, Cutler was more justified in his being POed than Rodgers. Yes, Jones cut off his route. Why, because the defender was standing right in the way. Rodgers should never have thrown that pass to Jones. He should have seen the defender where he was suppose to put the ball.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
These situations always reminds me of Bart Starr telling the story of when Lombardi ripped him a new one at practice in front of the whole team.

Starr said after practice he met with Lombardi in private and let him know that if Lombardi wanted him to be the leader of the team to never admonish him in front of the team again, he told Lombardi he could scream and yell at him all he wanted in private, but to be the leader, he had to have the respect of the team.

I really didn't see a problem with Aaron reacting the way he did, maybe in the future, he will handle it in a different way.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Against the Patriots in I believe 2005, Aaron Rodgers chewed out the OL. He played the second half with a broken bone in his foot.

Quite a few folks were blasting the hell out of Rodgers for doing so, stating he hasn't earned that "right".

What I found encouraging about Aaron Rodgers earlier in his career was he took his OL out to dinner, had them over to his house for get together's and what have you. I don't know if Jay Cutler has done this, but it is something Rodgers does.

When a player messes up, there has to be a leader to put him in check, regardless of draft position, salary or tenure. Unfortunately in today's game, everything is captured on film and taken out of context.

I think both could have handled each outburst better. Heat of the moment in a competitive game .. that's not the easiest thing to do.

Aaron Rodgers HATES interceptions and he HATES mental errors. He's admitted this repeatedly. He said he's fine with guys getting beat, but if its a mental mistake, unacceptable.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Thanks to Jason Wilde, i found some of the comments referred to here.

(A drop is) frustrating, very frustrating at the time, but not as frustrating as a mental mistake. I’ve said in the past, physical mistakes are going to happen. It’s part of the game. We’re human, we make errors physically. But the mental errors are ones I just really have a hard time with because I think that’s all about preparation. And I know the kind of time that the coaches put in, getting us ready with this game plan, getting us prepared. I know the kind of time that I put in, preparing myself and I think there’s an expectation that each player puts in a similar amount of time to be ready for the game. And those mental mistakes are just uncalled for in my opinion.

That’s why I’m more upset about those than the drops. The drops are going to happen. It hurts worse when a drop becomes an interception but that’s part of the game. It’s going to happen. You’re frustrated by it, but what are you going to do? Guy’s not trying to drop the ball and gift-wrap them a pick. It’s frustrating in a key situation, but they’re going to happen. I think you just have to learn to deal with them. It’s frustrating right when it happens because you’re just ticked about it but it’s a part of the game.

Aaron Rodgers  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.