Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The Packers do not need a good to great to elite type of Running Back.

They need the following.
Good pass blocking
Average to good receiving the ball
Excellent ball security

That's why Brandon Jackson was beneficial to the Packers. He met the criteria.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

I know its really really early in the season but both players have started the season very slowly, Charles is coming of a big injury and Johnson looks like a man who's just been paid and doesn't want to be there.

So I was wondering what do you guys think it would take for the packers to acquire one and would you do it because I believe pairing either of those two up with Benson would make a devastating offense unstoppable.

For Johnson I'd probably go as far to say 1&3 picks + a low tier player and for Charles I'd probably go a 1st or a 3rd and a player.

Originally Posted by: stevegb 

No, and no. Uncle 🇹🇹 won't give up draft picks for either of those washed up bums. And that's a good thing.

D wins championships, my friend. Our O is fine. Just needs to work on timing. Once 🇦🇷 and the boys get their timing fixed, we'll be top 10.

What matters is our D plays like the game 2 D instead of the game 1 D.

No wasting draft picks for washed up running backs. That is Zombieslayer GM rule #1. That's something the Vikings do, not us.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
There is absolutely NO reason to invest top draft picks or big money in a RB. How many Super Bowls have Charles, Johnson, AP won? None. Because high priced running backs are to NFL success what G-strings are to protecting virginity. Which is the same to say as meaningless.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Each team has roughly 60-70 offensive plays per game. If the Packers got stupid and went for one of the top RB's, everyone would think they should get lots of carries. The best RB's average ~5 yards per carry. Aaron Rodgers averages nearly 10yds/ pass attempt. Does anyone really think we need to take passing attempts away from the NFL MVP so we can hand the ball to a RB that is 3 seconds from blowing out a knee and being a useless drain on our payroll?

How many Super Bowls did John Elway win with the assortment of free agent RB's that Denver had? Quick, what stud RB has been carrying Tom Brady for all these years? Can someone explain the fascination with investing money in running the ball?

Would you rather invest in a washed up RB (Johnson) or invest in extending Greg Jennings? Because that is the type of financial reality Ted Thompson deals in.

The top 5 rushing teams after Week 2 in the NFL are Buffalo, Miami, San Fran, Washington and Chiefs. Those teams are a combined 5-5.

In 2011, the top 5 rushing teams were Denver, Houston, Carolina, Vikings and the Eagles. Combined record:35-45
In 2011, the top 5 passing teams were Saints, Patriots, Packers, Lions, & Giants. Combined records:60-20
Why the heck do we care about becoming a better rushing team?

How do you think the Bears feel about their big dollar RB right now? Forte gets a pretty big contract and now is gone after 1.5 games for an extended part of the season. Yes, it can happen to any player. But it happens more with RB's. They are just not worth the investment.
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
Here's a different perspective:

Think of RB's as if they were Playboy Bunnies. Young and Cheap is better than Old and Expensive. :-"
nerdmann
11 years ago

There is absolutely NO reason to invest top draft picks or big money in a RB. How many Super Bowls have Charles, Johnson, AP won? None. Because high priced running backs are to NFL success what G-strings are to protecting virginity. Which is the same to say as meaningless.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Each team has roughly 60-70 offensive plays per game. If the Packers got stupid and went for one of the top RB's, everyone would think they should get lots of carries. The best RB's average ~5 yards per carry. Aaron Rodgers averages nearly 10yds/ pass attempt. Does anyone really think we need to take passing attempts away from the NFL MVP so we can hand the ball to a RB that is 3 seconds from blowing out a knee and being a useless drain on our payroll?

How many Super Bowls did John Elway win with the assortment of free agent RB's that Denver had? Quick, what stud RB has been carrying Tom Brady for all these years? Can someone explain the fascination with investing money in running the ball?

Would you rather invest in a washed up RB (Johnson) or invest in extending Greg Jennings? Because that is the type of financial reality Ted Thompson deals in.

The top 5 rushing teams after Week 2 in the NFL are Buffalo, Miami, San Fran, Washington and Chiefs. Those teams are a combined 5-5.

In 2011, the top 5 rushing teams were Denver, Houston, Carolina, Vikings and the Eagles. Combined record:35-45
In 2011, the top 5 passing teams were Saints, Patriots, Packers, Lions, & Giants. Combined records:60-20

How do you think the Bears feel about their big dollar RB right now? Forte gets a pretty big contract and now is gone after 1.5 games for an extended part of the season. Yes, it can happen to any player. But it happens more with RB's. They are just not worth the investment.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

That said, speedy pass catching RBs could be a commodity. Look how we're using Cobb in the backfield right now. Remember how Sproles ate us alive in week 1 last year?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

I agree 100% I would rather draft and develop a Running Back or get a cheap vet than trade for a Top Tier Running back at a huge risk.

When is the last time you've seen a Running back get traded anyways? Usually teams get running backs in the Draft, or the teams accuire them in the offseason via Free Agency.

zombieslayer
11 years ago

Here's a different perspective:

Think of RB's as if they were Playboy Bunnies. Young and Cheap is better than Old and Expensive. :-"

Exactly.

There's limited $$$ in the NFL. The last place I want 🇹🇹 to invest his money is in the RB position. Luckily for us, this is one of 🇹🇹's mantras.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
When our Oline makes holes, our running game works. When our oline fails at opening holes our running game sucks. Neither of these two would change that. At 4 or 8 million depending, No thanks.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackerTraxx
11 years ago

I agree 100% I would rather draft and develop a Running Back or get a cheap vet than trade for a Top Tier Running back at a huge risk.

When is the last time you've seen a Running back get traded anyways? Usually teams get running backs in the Draft, or the teams accuire them in the offseason via Free Agency.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

We're going to play him Monday night...Marshawn Lynch. He very well might have been here if not for the Hawks getting involved.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

We're going to play him Monday night...Marshawn Lynch. He very well might have been here if not for the Hawks getting involved.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I forgot about him.....[oops2]
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (17h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.