Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080912&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=809130407&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=150&Border=0[/img_r]Thumbs up
[ul]The feeling after the Packers cut Jon Ryan on Sept. 1 was mostly one of surprise. Fans and reporters wondered why Packers General Manager Ted Thompson would make a change after Ryan seemingly had a solid training camp and preseason other than two poor kicks in the preseason opener.

Turns out, the genesis for the move goes back to January, when Ryan couldn't swing the field-position battle toward the Packers in the fourth quarter of the NFC championship game against the New York Giants. Though it didn't cost the Packers points, Ryan's last two punts a 29-yarder from his 40-yard line that was returned 6 yards and a 31-yarder from his 17 that was returned 10 yards stuck in their minds all offseason. Weather conditions that day were brutal, but the Packers expected more.

That's why they made the change to veteran Derrick Frost last week. If Frost's first game was any indication, it may have been the right move. Though Frost doesn't have the leg strength Ryan does, his consistency and his ability to place the ball in the ideal spot make him an upgrade.

Frost's first punt as a member of the Packers could serve as the model kick for all punters to follow. From his 31-yard line, Frost angled the ball toward the sideline, carried it 49 yards and hung it in the air for 4.22 seconds. It bounced once, then caromed out of bounds, allowing no chance for a return. That's exactly the kind of kick that gave Ryan problems.[/ul]

Thumbs down
[ul]It hasn't gotten much attention this week, but there are a number of potential pitfalls facing the Packers at Detroit.

There's the quick turnaround after an emotional Monday night game.

It's a road game in a dome stadium. Those are never easy, even though the Packers haven't had a ton of problems at Ford Field, where they own a 4-2 mark.

It's the Lions' home opener after they played a stinker to open with a loss at Atlanta.

And it's another first for Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who will be making his first NFL road start, so the Lions will be fired up.

Each of those factors in and of itself might not be much to worry about, but all of them combined could pose a problem for the Packers.
Key matchup[/ul]

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080912&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=809130407&Ref=V2&Profile=1058&MaxW=150&Border=0[/img_r]Lions WRs vs. Packers CBs
[ul]The Lions' best asset arguably their only asset is their receiving corps. It should be, considering what they spent to acquire starters Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams. Johnson was the second overall pick in the 2007 draft, while Williams was the seventh pick in '04. Johnson is a physical specimen at 6-foot-5 and 239 pounds. He seemingly has all the tools speed, strength and incredibly leaping ability. He was slowed by a back injury almost all of last season but caught 11 passes for 137 yards and a touchdown in the two meetings with the Packers last season. Williams isn't as tall, but at 6-3 presents matchup problems. The Lions contrast their big receivers with a couple of smaller guys the 6-0 Mike Furrey and the 5-10 Shaun McDonald. What could make matters tougher is the toe injury to cornerback Charles Woodson, who was listed as questionable for Sunday's game. Even if Woodson plays, he's not going to be 100 percent. If he doesn't, the Packers would use Tramon Williams, who at 5-11 is 2 inches shorter than Woodson. It also would bring Will Blackmon into the nickel defense.[/ul]

Nice insight on the punter situation.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
The punter switch seemed insane at first, but since then I've calmed down, especially after seeing Frost punt so well against the Vikings. I had forgotten that Ryan hit those bad punts late in the playoff game with the Giants.

As I've said before, Ted Thompson is smarter than we are.
blank
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I would have never thought any further about those poor kicks except immediately afterward. Sounds like the move was well thought out, and his first quick was very nice.
longtimefan
15 years ago

I would have never thought any further about those poor kicks except immediately afterward. Sounds like the move was well thought out, and his first quick was very nice.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I dont think any move is a knee jerk reaction..

I still am shocked they did it when they did..that is a BIG chance to take
gotarace
15 years ago
The playoff game was a complete embaressment to the team. If they were cutting players because of that game Al Harris and Ryan Grants head would have rolled also. Jon Ryan got shafted and anyone that has played football knows the ball is like kicking a slippery rock at those temps.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I understood WHY we made the change because of Jon Ryan's inconsistency, but this is bull.

I was in Frost's court and supported the decision at the time. It's run its course with me.

I think I have been on record to say I wouldn't say this, but I'd rather Jon than Frost. Frost is not living up to his past. He was a consistently good hang time punter who suddenly is only consistently sucking.

That's right, I'd rather Jon back. At least you could get a helluva boom out of him now and then, albeit it'd get ran back 30 yards, but still at least it was fun to watch and I didn't have to close my eyes when our punter came on the field.

Cut Frost, bring in anyone. Even if its Paul McJulien and his large ass.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago
I predict Frost is gone. No excuse to punt like that in a dome.

40 yard line drives ultimately giving us poor field position if we were able to stop them is an uphill battle we don't need to fight.
"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
15 years ago
Thats true.
The Vikings had a short field all game.
Thanks to the inability of Frost to punt.
Maybe the wind was blowing in his face every time he punted. Yeah.....that MUST be it!!!
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
I don't even care about his punting. I want someone fired for me having to wear this stupid avatar and sig.... best candidate is usually the punter... I don't care if he's averaging 50 yards--- which he isn't--- Tar and feather him, too, while we're at it. 😢
Pack93z
15 years ago

I predict Frost is gone. No excuse to punt like that in a dome.

40 yard line drives ultimately giving us poor field position if we were able to stop them is an uphill battle we don't need to fight.

"warhawk" wrote:

If Ted Thompson is a man of character.. we will cut his losses at this point.. if Ryan wasn't consistent enough, that is fine, but this cat consistently sucks.. next punter stage right.

Seriously is DeBauche still available.. or is there something against Badger players on this roster.. 🙂
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (12h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (18h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (20h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (20h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (22h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (22h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (22h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (23h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (23h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.