nerdmann
11 years ago
Jersey Al 

Clay Matthews – Perhaps Matthews could be seen as more of a “purple chip” player. He’s close to blue chip status, but needs to be more consistently great rather than just consistently good.

Good article, the above is the only one with which I disagree. But I suppose you have to say SOMETHING controversial, or you risk having a boring article.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

A.J. Hawk – Is there any more that can be said?
B.J. Raji – For all the problems we’ve seen Raji have along the line, he’s never really shed the hype from his name. His 2011 Pro Bowl selection was proof enough of that. While he’s shown progress this year, it’s still not nearly at the level we’ve expected.

Hawk- is a convenient whipping boy. Everyone loves to kick him around. If GB selected him in the 2nd or 3rd round there would be a lot less of this bitching. Yes he was taken in the first round. Yes he was the #5 pick. Yes you want that kind of a player to be a future Hall of Famer. It isn't going to happen. Hawk has some short comings. He isn't the flashy sexy LB that everyone wants him to be. But he is steady.

He was #2 in tackles in 2012. #1 in 2010. #2 in 2009. There is no point in complaining that he is something that he is never going to be.

Unfortunately the 2006 draft was no a particularly strong one. There were a few options available to GB at #5. They could have taken Vernon Davis but they didn't really need a TE. They could have taken Donte Whitner or Antonio Cromartie but they had a huge big need at LB not in the secondary. Maybe Chad Greenway would have been a better option. But then their stats are not that much different. Hawk certainly had the better pedigree coming out of college.

While is is not going to be a HoFer he isn't much of a cow chip either.

Raji- Once again, not much of a cow chip. His biggest problem is the lack of help on the DL. He can only do so much on his own. Pickett does a decent job stopping the run up the middle but outside of that Raji has been more or less on his own the past 3 years. To top it off they like to play him of of position by sticking him in the middle when Pick isn't there. Make him the DE put two strong linemen next to him and he will do fine. He isn't Reggie so don't look for him to do the same things Reggie did. Don't grade him down when he doesn't.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Hawk is a solid NFL linebacker, expecting more of him than that just isn't proper. He is assignment sure and does his job. Once in a while he attacks it a bit more, but expecting him to suddenly become Mike Singletary because of his contract is incorrect.

You can win with a guy like Hawk, he rarely is going to cost you a ball game because of his play. He just isn't going to often win you a ball game with an impact play.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
BTW, anyone with Chad love can look at the 2006 combine results . Hawk was faster, stronger with a better vertical leap than Greenway.

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
11 years ago
Hawk is a solid MLB that can play 1st and 2nd downs. He doesn't make many mental mistakes. He is consistently healthy. Every team needs some players like Hawk to form the core of the team.

But his results on the field do not allow a team to have him as one of their top 4 players in $.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Hawk is a solid MLB that can play 1st and 2nd downs. He doesn't make many mental mistakes. He is consistently healthy. Every team needs some players like Hawk to form the core of the team.

But his results on the field do not allow a team to have him as one of their top 4 players in $.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

now THAT is another story. No dispute here. 5th maybe but not 4th. 😰

Actually if he was about 10th I could accept that.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

now THAT is another story. No dispute here. 5th maybe but not 4th. 😰

Actually if he was about 10th I could accept that.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Blame Ted Thompson for that ... he allowed the contract.
UserPostedImage
porky88
11 years ago
Raji has not disappointed. He's a streaky player in a sense that he flashes greatness, but his bad is never bad. He's gets off the ball well and teams are constantly double-teaming him. I'd like to see him finish more (tackle the RB or sack the QB), but he disrupts plays and allows other players to clean up.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Blame Ted Thompson for that ... he allowed the contract.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Hey!!!! Quit stealin' my thunder!!!!! 😆

Someone posted Raji would be better if he had more help, IMHO, the same can be said about A.J. Hawk.
Not that The Packers don't have talented lbr's, the fact is the last few years, those players have ended up on IR, or have missed games.

I'm not making excuses,facts are facts,injuries at the lb position have hurt.

I am really hoping Bishop, Jones, Manning, and Smith can all come back healthy and stay healthy.

That happens and The Packers will be ablt to have a good rotation at the ILB position.

There was a thread posted late last season stating how Mike & Ted realized that players were getting burnt out, due to accesive play, these guys all stay healthy and that problem will also be solved.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
RajiRoar
11 years ago
Erik Walden = wet cow chip

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!