Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I have two ideas for the space between the first and second post that currently is being used for a little blurb about why folks should register. Here are two options I have between my ears.

Option 1:

I'm toying with the idea of using Google AdSense to fund Google AdWords and anything left over putting it to a charity every month.

AdSense brings in $100 for the month.
$50 would be the AdWords budget leaving the remaining $50 to go a charity.

The charity would be selected by the members of the site and would be in 'behalf of the members of PackersHome.com'

I absolutely despise ads, but I want the site to be a little more popular than it currently is and AdWords is a way to do that. But, I don't want to shell out $50 a month or whatever the modest cost would be. It could even be more than that. And perhaps Facebook ad is the way to go? I don't know.

I don't want any profit from the site at all, none.

This idea is something I am struggling with because I despise ads, but could help make the site grow while putting any overhead to a charity. Also, this ad could be visible to JUST guests or guest and signed in members.

Option 2:
Create a YouTube video that briefly (2-3 minutes) illustrates how to register, post, create topics, applaud, navigate through the site, etc ... and put it in the space mentioned for Guest members.

What are your thoughts on these options? One better than the other? A way to utilize both?
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
Option 2. Hate, hate, hate, hate ads, and once that can of worms is open it's that much easier to take it one step further. Plus, with ads you really don't have control over the content.

A few other thoughts:
1. Already seen a fair amount of new blood coming in. Maybe you can add a quick, optional section to the end of the registration process asking how the person found PackersHome.com so you can get a better idea of what is and is not working? Maybe even set up a referral system with recognition similar to applause points.
2. You don't want forums to expand too quickly either - or too much. Obviously I'm not the center of the universe here but one of the big things for me is that I recognize basically every screenname here. Even if I don't know people personally, it helps the sense of community when you recognize everyone. It's a balancing act between getting enough new blood to keep things rolling and replace departing members - but if the site spins out of control with loads and loads of new members, that community can be lost to a certain extent, forever. At least my suggestion would be to take a slow approach so you can better control the site's exposure rather than inadvertently opening the floodgates.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
1. I never notice the ads at other boards. just like I don't see the ads on tv or radio.
proceeds to go to cancer research in Mia's name.
Or send to Ronald Mc D house
or St Jude's
or something to support childhood illness.

edit- start with ads just for guests. see how you like it. If you need more hits then open up to members as well.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
11 years ago
don't most people use an adblock app by now anyways?

but seriously, ads for guests might be ok. not for members
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I was actually on my way to work just a little bit ago thinking about this and was gonna post that I'm gonna go with the video tutorial in the Sponsor section. Reason being ... my research on AdSense dictates a very small daily gain in profit. Small as in maybe twelve cents a day. To me, that is just not worth having ads on the site. If it was gonna be something like $5 a day which would be around $150 a month. I would have went with it because then $100 to a charity would supplant my disdain of having the ads because the money would be going to a good cause. The $50 would be for AdWords to help the site get a little more popular, not insane popular, just a little more traffic.

I thought more about it and I think between 200 and 250 posts per day would be good.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

1. I never notice the ads at other boards. just like I don't see the ads on tv or radio.
proceeds to go to cancer research in Mia's name.
Or send to Ronald Mc D house
or St Jude's
or something to support childhood illness.

edit- start with ads just for guests. see how you like it. If you need more hits then open up to members as well.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Those are some good ideas for charity, but unfortunately we just wouldn't provide much revenue to even pay for a better host let alone $50 for AdWords on a monthly basis.

Thinking more into it, I think Ads for Guests could provide a perk to get people to register and sign in. But I think I'm gonna go with option 2.

Option 2. Hate, hate, hate, hate ads, and once that can of worms is open it's that much easier to take it one step further. Plus, with ads you really don't have control over the content.

A few other thoughts:
1. Already seen a fair amount of new blood coming in. Maybe you can add a quick, optional section to the end of the registration process asking how the person found PackersHome.com so you can get a better idea of what is and is not working? Maybe even set up a referral system with recognition similar to applause points.

2. You don't want forums to expand too quickly either - or too much. Obviously I'm not the center of the universe here but one of the big things for me is that I recognize basically every screenname here. Even if I don't know people personally, it helps the sense of community when you recognize everyone. It's a balancing act between getting enough new blood to keep things rolling and replace departing members - but if the site spins out of control with loads and loads of new members, that community can be lost to a certain extent, forever. At least my suggestion would be to take a slow approach so you can better control the site's exposure rather than inadvertently opening the floodgates.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Believe me when I say Ads are not what I want. But I also don't want to shell out $600 a year to get the site a little more popular, lol.

Yes, it is a balancing act. As you have mentioned there ... I too think we have a nice community, even though some of the more involved ones have jumped ship... we still have a good group here. It does kind of feel like "home" to some people.

I am going to just have to be more creative in getting the word out. gbguy is doing great with Twitter and I think the RSS feed to threads is working out well and the twitterfeed topics to Tweets and Facebook posts is helping too.

I think we might have the tools in place to expand on a solid gradual pace. I just need to do a better job of adding features and improving the design.

Trust me when I say I am trying. I have spent more than 30 hours on the site in the last 9 or so days. And yes Wayne, I spend a lot of time with my girls. They do not suffer. My sleep suffers, not my girls. 🙂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
ok. I have no problem with how you see fit to run the board.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

ok. I have no problem with how you see fit to run the board.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I know, but that doesn't mean I don't need or want your guys opinions and thoughts. I don't want this to just be "my" site. I want it to be "our" site. Something that everyone would be proud to mention to others. Proud enough to put up a removable window decal in their rear window for example.

I'm proud of the site and when I say site it's actually the people who make the site. I am just a geek who pays for hosting and does little things with the site. I want to see PackersHome be better, more attractive to people to make those who come, stay longer.

That's why we have this little group. To go with Option 1, I would have had to have overwhelming support for it to push me over, lol. So this wasn't me asking for thoughts when I had my mind made up or nothing like that. I truly put a lot of thought into decisions and others thoughts.

The feedback I receive means a lot to me. Hope you all know this.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

I know, but that doesn't mean I don't need or want your guys opinions and thoughts. I don't want this to just be "my" site. I want it to be "our" site. Something that everyone would be proud to mention to others. Proud enough to put up a removable window decal in their rear window for example.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I know you want our input and I am glad to give it. It is our site. decal? 😕 I am driving dad's old car. The only decal in the window is the American flag decal that has some state police organization 's name on it. He thought it would help him get out of speeding tickets. Funny thing is he stuck it in the back passenger side. Cops don't look that direction.

I'm proud of the site and when I say site it's actually the people who make the site. I am just a geek who pays for hosting and does little things with the site. I want to see PackersHome be better, more attractive to people to make those who come, stay longer.

you have a right to be proud of this. You have worked hard at getting it up and keeping it running.

That's why we have this little group. To go with Option 1, I would have had to have overwhelming support for it to push me over, lol. So this wasn't me asking for thoughts when I had my mind made up or nothing like that. I truly put a lot of thought into decisions and others thoughts.

The feedback I receive means a lot to me. Hope you all know this.

I never worry about you accepting or rejecting my opinion. You seek info from others, process it, weigh it and move forward. There are many times I may feel one way on an issue but I try and express other options as well just so all sides get looked at.

I think it is save to say almost all the regulars know that you value our feedback.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I can edit the registration rules fairly easily, but once they proceed with registering, are they going to remember the link or click open the link to a new tab and come to it when registered? I don't think so. So that was my idea and then I had another idea like we used to have on the old CMS ... when a member is registered, they receive a Private Message. I've asked the developers about this ... no word back. I think the PM was great to get things going for new members. Have a little blurb in there like hey go to this thread to tell us where you found the site, go here to tell us about you and if you'd like to a do a member interview, this link.

Better wording would be required of course, but you get the idea. I'm hoping the welcome PM could be implemented fairly easily. I could probably create an app to trigger that, but I'd rather it built into the software than me having to make an app for that lol.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (28m) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (1h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (17h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (20h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (21h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.