play2win
11 years ago
Just thinking about some recent changes in our division, with Chicago adding a pretty good, tough to defend TE in Bennett, and the Lions adding Reggie Bush for 4 years, we are really going to have to make certain our personnel on defense is improved. Even without those additions our need to improve in these areas was readily apparent:

#1 Stopping the run

#2 Stopping plays to TEs/WRs over the middle

I really like our CBs heading into 2013, but see huge holes all up and down our DL, and everywhere in our LB corps, as well as S opposite Burnett. Our division rivals are going to be better offensively next year, at least they should be significantly better given the changes in coaching and personnel. We are going to have to get a lot of better players to counter.

May seem like re-stating the obvious in talking about our defensive needs, but the Bears are beefing up their line, while adding better targets for Cutler and a new offensive minded HC. The Lions needed to add true stars alongside Calvin Johnson, and they've just added a good one. The Vikings are loaded with cap room and picks to add more to go alongside AP. These changes within our division are making our own needs to better our defense more urgent. The margin for error is dwindling.

While our FA focus appears to be Stephen Jackson, I am hoping Ted & Co. adds a defender or two via FA so that we are not counting once again on rookies and 2nd year players, not to mention a bunch of others at important positions coming off season ending injuries (Perry, Bishop, DJ Smith, Worthy). The talent on D must be upgraded, and we should consider keeping more than 6 DL on the final 53, so that we can better insure a solid rotation up front. 11 DBs last season seemed frivolous.

We may need to make a couple more additional tough cuts to afford adding veteran defensive talent, but I think it would be worthwhile.

DE, NT, DT, LB, S

I wish Ted and his crew all the best in making it happen. Ted Thompson has one tall order...
nerdmann
11 years ago
We do need to be able to stop the run. That's true.

However, how many years are we now into the 3-4 and we still don't have another OLB who can play? How long is that going to continue? Sure, I ASSUME Perry and Moses will step up next year. But damn.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
JustinAVA182
11 years ago

Buccaneers agreed to terms with FS Dashon Goldson on a five-year contract.
Related: 49ers
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Hes out of the picture now.. Well not that we has in one but rumors were Pack could of been looking at him.
UserPostedImage
play2win
11 years ago

We do need to be able to stop the run. That's true.

However, how many years are we now into the 3-4 and we still don't have another OLB who can play? How long is that going to continue? Sure, I ASSUME Perry and Moses will step up next year. But damn.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Dude, I've been thinking that is exactly the problem with holding to a strict draft & develop philosophy. Some of these younger players are working like hell to adjust to the pro level of play, and a veteran, at a key spot like OLB in a 3-4, might know more about what to expect.

I would love it if Ted were to add a vet OLB to bolster the position just in case Perry can't make it back from his injuries. Veteran insurance.
steveishere
11 years ago
Keep in mind every March the Bears, Lions, and Vikings make big moves and catch up (or surpass) the Packers who seemingly stay the same or get worse.
earthquake
11 years ago

Keep in mind every March the Bears, Lions, and Vikings make big moves and catch up (or surpass) the Packers who seemingly stay the same or get worse.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah, this is really true. Every off-season the other teams in the NFC North are making moves to get "better" than the Packers. When the season actually comes around, the Packers are beating the snot out them. Whats GB's division record the last three years, what three losses or something to the other three teams in the division? So, one loss a year to a division opponent. I think I'll take that while "losing" at free agency every year, lol.

I'll worry about the Bears, Lions and Vikings, when they actually start beating the Packers on the field.
blank
JustinAVA182
11 years ago

Bill Polian said the Lions, with Reggie Bush, will be the new "Greatest Show on Turf."

Not buying all that.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
11 years ago

Not buying all that.

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 

Yeah, Reggie Bush is no Marshall Faulk. Also Kurt Warner was deadly accurate. Stafford just gets a bunch of yards from having an insane amount of attempts (wobbly sidearm attempts most of the time) he's not really efficient at all.
play2win
11 years ago
steve, that is so true.

The Packers have been a very good team for a very long time. Seems we are faced with some extraordinary circumstances in having a top QB talent cycle through his contract for renewal at about the same time that other high value players are cycling through theirs. We can't keep everybody, as evidenced by Jennings' release. Really, after winning SB XLV, I wouldn't have guessed it possible to let Jennings go.

The salary numbers just keep climbing for talented FAs. In just this short time since starting the thread, DET adds FS Glover Quin (HOU), one of the top Safeties in FA on a 5 year deal. Detroit was cap strapped going into FA, and they land Quin after having signed Reggie Bush (MIA) and DT Jason Jones (SEA), all in the same day.

Ted Thompson had kept us in a pretty solid position. I'm just hoping he can add a top defender in FA where we most need the help.
steveishere
11 years ago
This year seems pretty bad so far for huge contracts going to borderline above average players. I don't remember it being this bad the last few years except with a couple top players here and there. It seems in just a few days teams are overpaying pretty much across the board.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (23h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.