Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Not that we want to focus on the bad moments in Packers draft history, but the Ray Lewis miss I had never heard or remember happening.. hence really why I posted it. It would help explain the over draft of Michels at that spot..

Any missing moments than need to over take maybe Buckley or Brohm? Ahmad Carroll maybe.

Source... 

1. Drafting Tony Mandarich No. 2 overall in 1989

2. Packers general manager Ron Wolf was ready to draft linebacker Ray Lewis with the 27th overall pick in 1996. It was highly likely that Lewis was going to be available, too, to the point Green Bay already had Lewis' name written on its draft card.

This one I have never heard prior nor do I remember that being reported at the time..

3. Taking Justin Harrell at No. 16 in 2007

4. Brian Brohm a second-round pick?

5. Terrell Buckley over Troy Vincent in 1992

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I will argue Terrell Buckley shouldn't be on the list. If he hadn't run his mouth so much, (e.g. saying he'd break the INT record before suiting up) and brought so much attention to himself, he would have been pretty good for the Packers. Instead he went on to have a solid career with the Dolphins and Patriots specifically. He also had an interception every season too.

I assume the John Hadl trade was more than 25 years ago? That messed up a few drafts lol Holy crap ... I was ... holy crap. I miss the 90's ...

Regarding Justin Harrell and the Packers could have traded back 20 places and still got him ...

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said that he had three players targeted for his spot in the first round, and most people figure it was Arkansas defensive end Jamaal Anderson, Florida end Jarvis Moss and Harrell. Anderson went eighth to the Atlanta Falcons, leaving Harrell and Moss.

As soon as the Packers took Harrell with the 16th, Shanahan traded up to the 17th position and took Moss.

“We had three guys that we felt very comfortable taking with the 21st pick, and two of those guys were gone when we decided to trade up," Shanahan said Saturday.

The Denver coach's statement lends credence to GM Ted Thompson's claim that he couldn't drop back too far without the risk of losing out on Harrell. It's unclear whether Shanahan liked Harrell or Moss better.

"We had a game plan that included three guys and we were hoping that two of those guys were going to be there and we would be able to get both of them," Shanahan said. "You never know what is going to happen on draft day. When Justin Harrell went to Green Bay, that is when we stepped up and decided to make a move to get the guy that we wanted and the guy that was worthy of our first pick."

JSOnline wrote:

And we had a discussion about this too.

http://www.packershome.com/forum/yaf_postst1252_Trade-not-made.aspx 
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
93's top 5 seems OK, the only thing I would change is getting Brent Fullwood in there, probably to Harrell. This is on a basis of hindsight, which is usually 20/20. As far as when the pick was made I always thought Buckley instead of Vicent was a bad pick. Vincent was just as good an athlete, bigger, smarter and a better person.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

Regarding Justin Harrell and the Packers could have traded back 20 places and still got him ...

And we had a discussion about this too.

http://www.packershome.com/forum/yaf_postst1252_Trade-not-made.aspx 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The one I hadn't remembered nor heard.. that we were on Ray Lewis and had his name upon a card.. that is not something I remember. A bad ass like Lewis here in the 90's would have been epic. His rookie year with White and company... Wayne Simmons would have become the choir boy. DAMN..  
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

93's top 5 seems OK, the only thing I would change is getting Brent Fullwood in there, probably to Harrell. This is on a basis of hindsight, which is usually 20/20. As far as when the pick was made I always thought Buckley instead of Vicent was a bad pick. Vincent was just as good an athlete, bigger, smarter and a better person.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Not my list.. theirs.. but for the most part.. pretty accurate. I would have put Carroll in there over Buckley if either was to be on the list. Jamal Reynolds probably was worse than either..

And I might not put The incredible bust on as our all time worst draft pick.. Bruce Clark or Rich Campbell were probably worse picks than steroid boy... just both happened past the 25 year deadline.
nerdmann
11 years ago

Not my list.. theirs.. but for the most part.. pretty accurate. I would have put Carroll in there over Buckley if either was to be on the list. Jamal Reynolds probably was worse than either..

And I might not put The incredible bust on as our all time worst draft pick.. Bruce Clark or Rich Campbell were probably worse picks than steroid boy... just both happened past the 25 year deadline.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Bruce Clark was the worst. Ok, not as bad as the Hadl trade, but very bad. Campbell was ruined by the coaches. They tried to mess with his throwing motion.

Brent Fullwood was a good player, he was just lazy. First time he ever touched the ball, iirc, he ran a KO back for a TD but fumbled right before the goal line. LOL. He would say he was too sick to play, but then be seen out dancing that night. Forrest Gregg drafted him to beat the Bears, who were in their SuperBowl era at the time.

And I agree on Buckley, he was actually pretty decent, if undersized. Didn't really get his shit together until after he left Green Bay.

My vote is for Jamal "too small" Reynolds. Robert Ferguson was another one. Sherman told Wolf he wanted Ferguson over, whats his name. First of many mistakes for Sherman.

We drafted Ahmad Carroll, because Randy Moss had lit us up the year before. We drafted three DBs that year high, Fred Vinson was traded to Seattle for Ahman Green. Holmgren ditched Green, because of the fumbling.

Sherman used to make Carroll wear boxing gloves in practice, so he wouldn't be grabbing the WRs he was covering. LOL

John Micheals was another guy. "The thinking man's LT." LOL. I think he only played one year on offense in college, converted from the DL. Then there's BJ Sanders who was quoted in the press as saying he aspired someday to be the Packers "starting" punter.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
rabidgopher04
11 years ago

My vote is for Jamal "too small" Reynolds. Robert Ferguson was another one. Sherman told Wolf he wanted Ferguson over, whats his name. First of many mistakes for Sherman.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The 2001 draft was really bad overall for the Packers. There were so many players drafted that were really good. Just a few spots after Ferguson was Kris Jenkins! The 2001 draft was just terrible. Nothing good came from that for the Pack.

Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
nerdmann
11 years ago

The 2001 draft was really bad overall for the Packers. There were so many players drafted that were really good. Just a few spots after Ferguson was Kris Jenkins! The 2001 draft was just terrible. Nothing good came from that for the Pack.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Chris Chambers was who Wolf was gonna take.

Thing about Sherman was that he was the type of dude who would put his connections and his friends over the well being of the team. That's why he kept Mike Stock on even after he "retired" as ST coach. Dude was Sherman's spy and informer. This is also why he kept Rosseley around. AND why they scapegoated Ed Donnattell.

Anyway, Robert Ferguson was connected with Sherman. I forget how. Might have coached him in college or something. So yeah, take him over Chris Chambers. Idiot.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
11 years ago

We drafted Ahmad Carroll, because Randy Moss had lit us up the year before. We drafted three DBs that year high, Fred Vinson was traded to Seattle for Ahman Green. Holmgren ditched Green, because of the fumbling.

Sherman used to make Carroll wear boxing gloves in practice, so he wouldn't be grabbing the WRs he was covering. LOL

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The 3 DBs in a row was Wolf back in 99 and Mike McKenzie was the only one that stuck. Sherman drafted Carroll and Joey Thomas in 2004

It really didn't help for Carroll and Thomas that the NFL REALLY ratcheted up on calling pass interference, holding and illegal contacts after that Patriots-Colts game in the playoffs and the Colts complaining about it in the offseason. In retrospect, that was the beginning of the Pass Happy Rules era for the NFL.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (13h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (15h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (15h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.