Zero2Cool
10 years ago

L should be for Lambeau.

The National Football League has a standard for all Super Bowls: The next must be better than the last. The league always wants more innovation, up-to-date stadiums and a constantly improving atmosphere for its signature event.

For Super Bowl L, the standard will be even higher. It will be the 50th anniversary of the game, and the league will take the opportunity to celebrate the achievement and all that the NFL has become since Super Bowl I was played in 1967 in Los Angeles.

The NFL never passes up an opportunity to remind people that its business is the greatest one in American sports. It is the most popular. It generates the most money. It commands the most dollars from its television partners. It is the leader 52 weeks a year. Fans can't get enough of the NFL, and the Super Bowl is always the most watched television event year after year after year.

That's why the NFL should hold Super Bowl L at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. What cooler way to celebrate all that the league and the sport has become than by going to the oldest, most special venue there is? What greater way to show how the game has evolved than playing its biggest game in a stadium located on a street named for Vince Lombardi? What other NFL city -- Titletown -- has its own NFL-related nickname? What other turf -- The Frozen Tundra -- does?

I can hear John Facenda calling the game from heaven, his deep, unmistakable voice making every play, every collision seem like the biggest that ever was. I can see players from both teams trying a Lambeau leap after scoring. And I can see shivering fans cheering every second of football the way it was meant to be played: outside and in the cold.

It will never happen, of course. On Tuesday, the league's 32 owners will vote on the location for the 50th Super Bowl. The candidates are South Florida and San Francisco, with the Bay Area and its $1.2 billion Levi's Stadium now under construction in Santa Clara, Calif., as the front-runner. Both organizing committees have spent months preparing to make their 15-minute pitches to the owners during a brief meeting in Boston. They've spent countless hours writing their proposals and raising funds.

South Florida, and specifically Miami, has hosted 10 Super Bowls, tied with New Orleans for the most. The most recent Miami Super Bowl was in 2010 between New Orleans and Indianapolis, which the Saints won 31-17. With South Beach and all its attractions nearby, Miami is a perfectly reasonable place to hold a Super Bowl, even though the stadium leaves much to be desired.

The Bay Area has held one Super Bowl. In 1985, Super Bowl XIX between the 49ers and Dolphins was held at Stanford. San Francisco won 38-16. Certainly, with a new stadium under construction in Santa Clara, the Bay Area deserves another. The owners, at commissioner Roger Goodell's instruction, have made it a priority to reward cities and owners who build new stadiums with a Super Bowl. That's why the next one will be held in North Jersey even though the logistical headaches will be many. Traffic will be a bear. Traveling from New York City to the stadium will be challenging. The teams will not be centrally located because it is impossible to have a central location for such a massive area that encompasses two states and includes the largest city in the country.

Goodell and the owners thought it was important to stage a Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium even though the league has never held a Super Bowl at an open-air stadium in a cold-weather city. The move opened a door for teams such as New England and Philadelphia, neither of which was awarded a Super Bowl after opening new stadiums (the Patriots and Gillette Stadium in 2002, the Eagles and Lincoln Financial Field in 2003).

The NFL should open the door for Green Bay. Lambeau Field debuted in 1957 as City Stadium. It has undergone several expansions and renovations. The stadium seats 73,094, although it is undergoing an expansion of the south end zone that will add as many as 7,500 seats. As old as the stadium is, it has all the amenities that fans want, including a state-of-the-art video scoreboard and flat-screen televisions throughout.

Plus, it still has the bowl. It is as old-school as it gets.

There aren't enough places in tiny Green Bay for fans to stay, but the league has shown by placing a Super Bowl in East Rutherford, N.J., that it doesn't care about potential travel hassles. The NFL could hold many of the events in the week leading up to the game in Milwaukee. It could house the teams there, as well as the fans, the media and the NFL employees. Then it could provide shuttles to Green Bay on game day.

Would it be ideal? No, and I know it's not going to happen. But if the league really wants to tap its rich history and its storied past and celebrate 50 years of a growing, successful business, it should hold its signature event at the most historic NFL venue there is.

Make L stand for Lambeau.

Ashley Fox  wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

I've partly wanted Super Bowl L (50) in Green Bay.

But at the same time, has a Super Bowl ever been won by the stadiums normal home team?

I really don't want two non-Packers teams playing an NFL game in Lambeau.

So I got mixed feelings about it. But it might be nice to have one in Lambeau... say maybe Super Bowl
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
How much is the ROOF gonna cost?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

How much is the ROOF gonna cost?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The roof isn't a problem... the NFL is letting the NY Super Bowl get away with no roof in a northern area, they could do the same for the Packers. The reason the NFL won't have a Super Bowl in the GB area is because it wants to be big and the area around it (within 60 miles) to also be big and have enough fancy hotel and other big and exciting things for high spenders because that's who the NFL is targeting. And GB area is not close to the market that the NFL is looking for Super Bowl wise.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=15&r=18&item_id=721 

“I guess we have same potential to be cold when we come to New York in 2014, but it’s really not as much about the weather as it is the infrastructure. To put on a Super Bowl, I think it’s over 25,000 (hotel) rooms within 60 miles. … It's an extraordinary undertaking, and it gets bigger and bigger every year. I think those are the challenges a market like Green Bay would face.”

Roger Goodell wrote:

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

The roof isn't a problem... the NFL is letting the NY Super Bowl get away with no roof in a northern area, they could do the same for the Packers. The reason the NFL won't have a Super Bowl in the GB area is because it wants to be big and the area around it (within 60 miles) to also be big and have enough fancy hotel and other big and exciting things for high spenders because that's who the NFL is targeting. And GB area is not close to the market that the NFL is looking for Super Bowl wise.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=15&r=18&item_id=721 

Originally Posted by: beast 

I was half joking about a ROOF. Just the same, they don't want another Ice Bowl. And whether we like it or not, all the hype about the game is a consideration. Several years ago in Dallas, there was a week of really shitty (for Texas) weather before the big game. It kinda put a damper on the festivities in Jerry Jones' super arena. Mathematically speaking, how much greater are the odds of that in Green Bay?

dfosterf
10 years ago
Why can't they build a dome just for the Super-Bowl? The NFL can certainly afford it. put it on the site of Aloha Stadium. They could play the pro bowl on Sat, the SB on Sun. They wouldn't even need a dome, just a premier design.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Why can't they build a dome just for the Super-Bowl? The NFL can certainly afford it. put it on the site of Aloha Stadium. They could play the pro bowl on Sat, the SB on Sun. They wouldn't even need a dome, just a premier design.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Hawaii would love that, but a dozen or more other places around the country where there could be a Super Bowl would be highly pissed off. I think THAT carries more weight with the decision-makers.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
weather averages
Green Bay/ Newark
Avg high 26/ 42
Avg low 14/29
Record high 38/54
Record low -25/17

Avg wind 9 mph/ 10
Avg high wind 15 mph/ 18
Record high wind 31 mph/ 48

I suppose 15 degrees for the avg high temp is not much but the record lows are 42 degrees and that it significant.
We talked about this at least one other time and Kevin's suggestion was to bring in cruise ships for people to stay in. I can't find it now but the draft the ocean going boats need is much more than the bay allows for. Plus there are not even slips for the boats. And then there is always the not enough things to do while in Green Bay. Like it or not they will not count Milwaukee in the formula.

Beast- not only has the home team never won a SB. No team has even played in a SB in their own stadium.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Here's a counter ...

As ESPN.com's Ashley Fox acknowledges, Lambeau Field as the host for Super Bowl L "will never happen."

You know why?

The high-rolling Super Bowl crowd couldn't handle it.

It's one thing to make an exception to the dome/warm weather routine for New York City, the largest city in the country and the site of the $1.2 billion MetLife Stadium. It's quite another to bring the league's singular event to Green Bay.

In New York, organizers are worried about sub-freezing temperatures at kickoff. The city's average high in January is 38 degrees and its average low is 27 degrees. In Green Bay, where the average low at that time of year is a crisp 9 degrees, they would be concerned about sub-arctic temperatures.

As you might know, the people who attend Super Bowls are a mix of corporate sponsors, celebrities, people to whom favors are owed, NFL season ticket holders and a small group of each participating team's fans and family. That crew can probably make it through a 30-degree game in New York. But how many of them -- how many of us, really -- would want to try sitting through a single-digit game at Lambeau?

(Think Brett Favre at the 2007 NFC Championship Game.)

Packers season ticket holders are quite literally a special breed. They know how to deal with frigid temperatures. It's in their blood. Outsiders? Good luck and pack an extra blaze-orange.

A Super Bowl at Lambeau Field is like a lot of things: It sounds good in theory but would be miserable in practice for the NFL's highest-paying customers.

Kevin Seifert wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (1h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (6h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (8h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (10h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (11h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (11h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (11h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (12h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (22h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.