beast
10 years ago

Kuhn's nothing special as a blocker. Never has been. He's a slow HB who bulked up to make the team at FB. His specialization is those fake FB dive plays in short yardage.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You're right Kuhn isn't special... but he's better than you imply at what he's asked to do. Which you seem to think the runs are mainly what he's asked to do, which mistaken.

Kuhn is asked to pass block, run block, play STs, go out for passing routes all more often than running that FB dive play.

Kuhn doesn't blow up running lane, he doesn't catch long passes, he doesn't go for long runs... but the Packers don't ask their FBs to do that. They ask them to take at least once guy out when blocking (which he does), be the dump off guy and catch the ball when it comes to you, and get as many yards as you can on the running plays. All which he does. You're right he's not special, but he does fit all of the things the Packers ask from their FB which others have not.

None of the RBs block as well as him, the back-up TEs can sometimes block like him, but they've had a bad case of butter fingers lately (other than maybe Crabtree, who's now gone) and they're not as good at blocking ether.

Kuhn specialty is haven't no specialty, in that fact that he can do it all... he's not great at anything but he does enough of everything with very limited mistakes to stick around year after year for a while now. He's been the swiss army knife, we'll see if he can keep it up.

UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

Probably because that's more of a role for DJ Williams. Weren't most of his snaps last year as an h-back?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Yeah Williams and Taylor got a good number of snaps at H-Back, and I wouldn't mind if they got a shot at FB as well to see what they could do. Though I think Taylor has more power and might be better at FB.

I really have liked Williams, but he seemed to drop passes all the time when the ball came near. And Taylor has been very good on STs blocking and some on offense as well.
UserPostedImage
brandland
10 years ago
in my opinion i think lacy will be the starter with franklin at #2 harris will be used in some schemes due to being ssmaller and faster. green i think will be #4 . i seen someone ask why lacy. lacy runs into you then over you. it is very rare that one guy can tackle him. he ran over 5 of this years first round draft picks. he is a bruiser thats why lacy. franklin has some really great cuts and shows great bursts after the cuts. thats why in my opinion they are #1 and #2 . starks is going to be cut most likely due to staying injured but thats just my opinion
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You're right Kuhn isn't special... but he's better than you imply at what he's asked to do. Which you seem to think the runs are mainly what he's asked to do, which mistaken.

Kuhn is asked to pass block, run block, play STs, go out for passing routes all more often than running that FB dive play.

Kuhn doesn't blow up running lane, he doesn't catch long passes, he doesn't go for long runs... but the Packers don't ask their FBs to do that. They ask them to take at least once guy out when blocking (which he does), be the dump off guy and catch the ball when it comes to you, and get as many yards as you can on the running plays. All which he does. You're right he's not special, but he does fit all of the things the Packers ask from their FB which others have not.

None of the RBs block as well as him, the back-up TEs can sometimes block like him, but they've had a bad case of butter fingers lately (other than maybe Crabtree, who's now gone) and they're not as good at blocking ether.

Kuhn specialty is haven't no specialty, in that fact that he can do it all... he's not great at anything but he does enough of everything with very limited mistakes to stick around year after year for a while now. He's been the swiss army knife, we'll see if he can keep it up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I question the idea that the RBs, especially Lacy, are not as good blockers as Kuhn. It's probable, I guess, that Kuhn will get paid well to do the variety of things he does - but not very well - for another year. I'd prefer split backs with Lacy and Franklin on the field together pretty much full time. Barring that, I'd rather see one or more of the TEs cross trained as a fullback and Kuhn gone. But Thompson/McCarthy make the decisions, and their record is impressive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

I question the idea that the RBs, especially Lacy, are not as good blockers as Kuhn. It's probable, I guess, that Kuhn will get paid well to do the variety of things he does - but not very well - for another year. I'd prefer split backs with Lacy and Franklin on the field together pretty much full time. Barring that, I'd rather see one or more of the TEs cross trained as a fullback and Kuhn gone. But Thompson/McCarthy make the decisions, and their record is impressive.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I want to see Taylor backing up both FB and TE, I think he could do both and maybe beat out Kuhn. Who knows... Williams is another guy as well but I feel he would be better at H-Back and TE than FB.

I've heard Lacy is a great blocker but compared to whom? Compared to other college RBs (who mostly do limited to no blocking) then I agree. As Lacy will go towards the guy and put a hit on them... but he doesn't stick on them. Meaning after the hit they can keep going and get passed him. I remember one play where Lacy came up and hit the blitzer hard where you could clearly hear the impact, but he knocked him to the side towards the left side and out of the pocket, but the blitzer then went towards the QB and would of had a sack if the LG wasn't clear and come and took the blitzer out (which was awesome seeing that 320+ OG basically block/tackle the 220+ blitzer)

Also has Lacy have run blocked for a team mate?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (1h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (2h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (18h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (21h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (22h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.