MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

It's less than a year away, but the 2014 free agent season will be upon us before we know it — and there are plenty of Green Bay Packers who will be eligible for new contracts either with the Packers or elsewhere. In all, our count is at 19 players who will be free agents [...]

[list=1]

• B.J. Raji
  • Ryan Pickett
  • Jermichael Finley
  • James Jones
  • John Kuhn
  • Morgan Burnett
  • Mike Neal
  • Andrew Quarless
  • Marshall Newhouse
  • James Starks
  • Sam Shields
  • C.J. Wilson
  • Matthew Mulligan
  • Johnny Jolly[/list]
  • LombardiAve  wrote:

greengold
    10 years ago
    I agree with pretty much everything in the article but the paragraph on Quarless concerns me:

Andrew Quarless – Coming off a serious knee injury, Mike McCarthy said Quarless is in the best shape of his career. If that’s the case, he will make the team this year and will be playing with that long-term contract in mind. I don’t see the Packers re-signing him before or during the season, but if he has a strong campaign in 2013, they may do everything they can to keep him in the fold, especially in light of Finley’s situation.

Ray Rivard wrote:

I don't know why they wouldn't try to extend him before the season, assuming he is fully healed. Unless they aren't convinced of his full recovery.

The paragraph on Shields is realistic but makes it sounds like contract talks have broken off with Rosenhaus:

Sam Shields – Though he still needs to sign his restricted free agent tender, Shields will play one more year with the Packers. If he has a solid season, his demands in free agency may be too steep for Green Bay. With the depth and talent the Packers have in the defensive backfield, Shields may be allowed to walk.

Ray Rivard wrote:

texaspackerbacker
    10 years ago
    TT is pretty good at keeping medium grade guys if they are decent enough. A lot of those guys, though, may not even make it until 2014, or may not be wanted when the time comes - Wilson, Mulligan, Kuhn, Starks. I tend to agree about Shields - he will set his price too high and be gone. The same may be true for Jones, and of course Raji and Finley. Pickett would only be kept for a vet minimum salary. Neal is a huge question mark at this point, as is Newhouse, and Jolly, who knows.

That leaves Burnett and Quarless - both of whom I HOPE Thompson can extend before they have break out seasons and get a lot more expensive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
    If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
    beast
    10 years ago

I don't think Quarless would resign right now because he's value would be super low and could go even if he has just a decent year.

As far as Burnett, we don't know if he's going to break out or not, but I wouldn't mind resigning him or Shields to long term deals IF they're not too costly. I think normally the Packers reach out to guys' agents and willing to give them a deal early if they're willing to take less... if not make them wait until their current deal is up.

My guesses

Back: Raji, Burnett, Neal, Quarless, Shields

Depends: Pickett, Finley, Jones, Kuhn, Wilson

Gone: Newhouse, Starks, Mulligan, Jolly

I don't think Ted Thompson will let the "Back" guys get away unless someone clearly over pays.

I think they want Finley, Pickett and Jones back, but they also wouldn't want to over pay for them. Though I think their value in the Packers eyes are higher than the fans eyes.

Kuhn depends on who else they have who might be able to play that role. I've been hoping their cross train TE Taylor (and/or Williams) at TE and FB but they haven't.

Wilson doesn't really make a splash so he's mostly gone on noticed but he's very consistent and been the 3rd best at playing two gap following only Pickett and Raji which is why he started almost half of the games last year.

I think Newhouse feels disrespected and will want to leave just like the others who have felt disrespected over the years (Jennings, Jenkins, Colledge, Spitz, Wells, etc...)

I think Starks is in the dog house because of keep getting injured and will need to be CLEARLY one of the top two RBs (or maybe even the top RB) to stay around this year.

I don't think Mulligan or Jolly make the roster this year. Mulligan is an undersized OL and I don't think most players can miss that much time and then come back and be the same in the first year. I think if he has a come back it will be his second year back at earliest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders, Seahawks or Chiefs (Former Packers GMs, that don't mind taking a risk on a needed position) give him a chance if he doesn't make it at first with the Packers.

UserPostedImage
    greengold
    10 years ago

Gone: Newhouse, Starks, Mulligan, Jolly

Originally Posted by: beast 

Kind of a wait and see on these 4, like you said no guarantee they all make the team this year. But if Newhouse wins the starting RT job and plays every snap like he did last year I think he has a shot to come back. The other 3, if they make the team... anything can happen. None of them would be very expensive to keep.

nerdmann
    10 years ago
    B.J. Raji -Will be signed during the season.

Ryan Pickett -They'll let him go due to age.

Jermichael Finley -Needs to show he deserves a new contract.

James Jones -Needs to decide if he wants to be #2 behind Cobb

John Kuhn -Last year with the team, if he makes it.

Morgan Burnett -Will get a deal.

Mike Neal -Will get an incentive-laden contract based on games played.

Andrew Quarless -If Finley shits himself, Quarless has a huge opportunity to be The Guy. I like his odds.

Marshall Newhouse -He'll have to sign a journeyman contract.

James Starks -Needs to make the team first. Also needs to run lower, behind his pads and stay healthy.

Sam Shields -If he wants to play for the Pack, he's gonna have to sign a contract. Love to have him, but we do have depth at his position.

C.J. Wilson -Will have to settle for a journeyman contract.

Matthew Mulligan -Replaceable.

Johnny Jolly -Needs to make the team first. If he lights it up, he'll get a two year deal. He's too old for a long term contract.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (13h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (16h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    beast (19h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
    dfosterf (22h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
    dfosterf (23h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
    Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
    Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
    dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
    dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
    packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
    beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.