MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — If you thought Cris Carter was the only wide receiver from Ohio State whose reputation was that He only catches touchdowns, well, Jake Stoneburner would like a word.

During his junior and senior seasons with the Buckeyes, the Green Bay Packers undrafted rookie free agent caught only 30 passes (14 in 2011 and 16 in 2012). Of those, an astonishing 11 were for touchdowns — 36.7 percent. Last season alone, seven of his 16 catches were for TDs.

"That's kind of been my thing at Ohio State," Stoneburner said after catching a 9-yard touchdown — what else? — from B.J. Coleman in the Packers' 19-7 preseason victory over the St. Louis Rams Saturday night. "I didn't catch many balls, but when I did, I scored."

He did it again against the Rams. After not registering a catch in the preseason opener against Arizona, Stoneburner caught two passes — one for no gain, and then the touchdown — against the Rams. Oddly enough, a mistake by the official scoring crew at the Edward Jones Dome credited rookie outside linebacker Andy Mulumba — who wears No. 46 while Stoneburner is No. 45 — with the TD instead of Stoneburner.

No matter, since everyone knew that Mr. Touchdown had caught the ball. It was a terrific throw by Coleman, who has been up and down in camp, and a great catch by Stoneburner, who shielded his defender from the ball and caught it just inside the goal line and sideline.

"It was just a simple corner route and B.J. was scrambling, and he made a heck of a pass — I mean, an incredible pass — and I was just coming back to the ball and was able to keep my feet in and get the ball and touch the pylon," Stoneburner said. "I give credit to B.J., because that was one heck of a pass, I thought. I was just able to catch it."

For Stoneburner, it was a key play as he tries to make a name for himself in a crowded tight end group as he reacclimates himself to the position after moving to wide receiver last year when Urban Meyer arrived in Columbus.

"For me not playing tight end last year, I feel like I've made a lot of progress with blocking and just learning the position again," Stoneburner said. "We've got a really great, deep position, so it's just a numbers game and I'm just trying to do anything I can to make an impression. (This game) definitely helped, but I still have a long way to go. It's not up to me, I just have to keep on grinding, and that's what I'm trying to do."

Stoneburner, who only played 13 offensive snaps, also sealed the victory by recovering the Rams' onside kick with 58 seconds to play. That won't hurt his cause, either, given the uncertainty at his position behind starter Jermichael Finley.

Would-be No. 2 Andrew Quarless, who missed all of last season following reconstructive knee surgery, has been out with a quadriceps pull. Blocking tight end Matthew Mulligan left Saturday night's game with an arm injury of unknown severity. Third-year man Ryan Taylor hasn't played in the preseason since suffering a knee injury in the Family Night Scrimmage. And while former practice squadder Brandon Bostick has taken a step forward, third-year player D.J. Williams has been up and down.

That could add up to opportunity for the new kid.

"I felt like I was able to make plays when they came my way. I didn't do anything out of my ability," Stoneburner said. "I just felt like with that onside kick and the pass, I felt like when they come your way you have to seize your opportunity, and I felt like I was able to do that tonight. The onside kick I guess, I was so excited about the touchdown, I didn't really think that was a big play, but I guess it kind of was."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
Everyone loves Ryan Taylor so much, just because he plays ST.

I say just cut Taylor and Williams. They've had three years to show their potential and haven't done jack.

Keep Finley, Quarless and Bostick. Maybe Mulligan. Stoneburner goes to PS, he'll get a shot next year, just like Bostick is getting now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

Everyone loves Ryan Taylor so much, just because he plays ST.

I say just cut Taylor and Williams. They've had three years to show their potential and haven't done jack.

Keep Finley, Quarless and Bostick. Maybe Mulligan. Stoneburner goes to PS, he'll get a shot next year, just like Bostick is getting now.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It will come down to Bostick and Quarless. If Quarless can't get on the field why should we keep him? PUP him I suppose for the worst case scenario .

But i'm hopefull he comes back this week.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
nerd you can be such a putz. Taylor was not brought on the team to compete with Finley or any of the "receiving TE's" around the league.

Uncle Ted and Mike don't want him out there on the offensive sets so there is no way for him to amass any kind of receiving stats. And yet he is still on the team. Why? It is because he was picked up to work on the third team that GB has. The ST. You may think that ST is only for the 3rd string players that are not good enough to be on offense or defense but that is not the case. Some players are actually considered first string ST players. Taylor is one of them.

I can't say that he is going to make the team this year or not. But he has done exactly what they have asked him to do in the past and he has done it very well.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
He is from "Thee" Ohio State University... that is already a strike against him. [grin1]

Didn't get to see much of the game... so can't comment much on his performance.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago
Seems like Stoneburner would not last on the PS. I hope he lands a roster spot. We can keep 4 TEs, and we have kept 5. With Finley's contract up next year, it might be good to keep this kid around to develop on the roster.
Dulak
10 years ago
liked that catch ... Im not a big can of DJ Williams - not sure about quarless either but doubt we get rid of him ... think we are keeping milligan as long as he is healthy. Wondering what our final 53 will be like.

hoping for some surprises
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Seems like Stoneburner would not last on the PS. I hope he lands a roster spot. We can keep 4 TEs, and we have kept 5. With Finley's contract up next year, it might be good to keep this kid around to develop on the roster.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Agreed. I can't see all the other teams taking a pass on him. GB keeps 5 TE this year. He may well be one of the 5.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
I find it hard to judge the two based on offensive production since their rookie year they were buried behind three other TEs on the roster and both their rookie and sophomore years the offense was so focused on spreading the defense out with 4 WRs & 5 WR sets. The only thing worth criticizing is DJ Williams and his inconsistent play. Case in point during the Rams game: drops one pass but catches two others; misses an assignment on ST blocking but looked good in run blocking (as far as I can tell).

Packers-Rams game highlights 

First run: gets pushed back but recovers to take the guy to the ground
Second run: helps Barclay with the DE, releases and blocks the LB who doesn't touch Lacy as he goes by him
Third run: Blocks the LB enough so as not make a play on Lacy

As far as I can see and read , he gets the blocking aspect of being a TE. From what I've read, Bostick has struggled in blocking drills and I haven't heard anything on Stoneburner really. If they can show the coaching staff the ability to block well and more importantly get to the second level and sustain blocks between now and cutdown, they'll probably make the team at Williams' expense. If not then I don't think they'll take his spot.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

He is from "Thee" Ohio State University... that is already a strike against him. [grin1]

Didn't get to see much of the game... so can't comment much on his performance.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

[mfing]

😆 I'm thinking PS for the start of the year. We'll see, he has made a couple of nice cathces.

I don't think he would draw a whole lot of interest from other teams, he needs a year or so to develope into a good NFL TE.

Hopefully Ted agrees.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
TheKanataThrilla (12m) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (15m) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (16h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (19h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (20h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (23h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (23h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (23h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.