Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
First signficant game action I got to see since the Browns game. Argh!!!!

My impressions.

1. The defense stunk.
2. They are third string quarterbacks for a reason. In a league where there are teams that don't have a good starting quarterback, you aren't going to win a lot of games if you are down to #3 on the depth chart.
3. Third string quarterbacks are going to win even less often when the officials can't get even an obvious pass interference call right. If I had been in McCarthy's position I would have been tossed from the game after the last of I don't know how many non-calls(the one on the pass that Jones almost caught anyway on the Packers' last FG drive). By itself that last one was horrible; that it was the third or fourth such horrible non-call was unconscionable. Hell, even Troy Aikman thought there the last two were obvious interference.
4. The defense stunk.
5. How many big plays did the pass defense give up? How many of those big plays had receivers wide open?
6. Chip Kelly outcoached Dom Capers big time.
7. The defense stunk.
8. Raji the inconsistent returned big time.
9. The defense stunk.
10. Brad Jones?? You gave him how much money? Can he tackle?
11. The defense stunk.
12. 200+ yards rushing?
13. Matthews made a valiant effort, but with one arm he's just slightly above average. Head and shoulders above Brad Jones, but then again Scott Tolzein would likely have played better than Jones.
14. The defense stunk.
15. Tolzein has a bit of game. I'm not going to rag on backup OL. Everyone has heard me rant about OL enough. I'm not surprised that Lacy had holes smaller than a gnat's asshole.
16. Did Lattimore play?
17. Oh, yes, and three more things.
18, 19, 20. THE DEFENSE EFFING STUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

First signficant game action I got to see since the Browns game. Argh!!!!

My impressions.

1. The defense stunk.
2. They are third string quarterbacks for a reason. In a league where there are teams that don't have a good starting quarterback, you aren't going to win a lot of games if you are down to #3 on the depth chart.
3. Third string quarterbacks are going to win even less often when the officials can't get even an obvious pass interference call right. If I had been in McCarthy's position I would have been tossed from the game after the last of I don't know how many non-calls(the one on the pass that Jones almost caught anyway on the Packers' last FG drive). By itself that last one was horrible; that it was the third or fourth such horrible non-call was unconscionable. Hell, even Troy Aikman thought there the last two were obvious interference.
4. The defense stunk.
5. How many big plays did the pass defense give up? How many of those big plays had receivers wide open?
6. Chip Kelly outcoached Dom Capers big time.
7. The defense stunk.
8. Raji the inconsistent returned big time.
9. The defense stunk.
10. Brad Jones?? You gave him how much money? Can he tackle?
11. The defense stunk.
12. 200+ yards rushing?
13. Matthews made a valiant effort, but with one arm he's just slightly above average. Head and shoulders above Brad Jones, but then again Scott Tolzein would likely have played better than Jones.
14. The defense stunk.
15. Tolzein has a bit of game. I'm not going to rag on backup OL. Everyone has heard me rant about OL enough. I'm not surprised that Lacy had holes smaller than a gnat's asshole.
16. Did Lattimore play?
17. Oh, yes, and three more things.
18, 19, 20. THE DEFENSE EFFING STUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Dom was just beginning to redeem himself a couple weeks ago. LOL.

I thought Clay was held all day.

Refs definitely sucked, and sucked bad, in a way that was far harsher against us than against the Eagles. But the defense is what cost us the game.

It's SO frustrating when you have a 96 hard drive in 10+ plays and then BAM 60 yard INT return.

Back breaking fluke plays, happening so often, it doesn't seem like it's a fluke anymore.

Brad Jones was going for the strip quite a bit later in the game. He was ok.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago
Yeah, I'm most disappointed in the defense. I know they have some injuries, but there's no reason for them to be playing so badly the past couple of weeks. Considering the circumstances, I thought the offense played OK. Defense definitely lost this game, when they needed to step up the most.
schroeder84
10 years ago
The D was awful again. I was surprised that Tolzien and what is left of the O played reasonably enough - not enough to win, but enough that a bit more execution would have put them in a good position to win.

Who the heck jinkxed the Pack with the injury bug this year anyhow?
luigis
10 years ago
The problem was, is and it seems will always be the secondary.

Tramon is finished, he is at PI in every single play, he can't cover he just gambles the INT and he has bad hands.
Hayward can't tackle.
MD Jennings is a complete joke.
Burnett is not as good as we all think he is.

Shields is a good CB and I like Chris Banjo but we don't have fantastic depth or any of that crap.

Luis
StoicFire
10 years ago

The problem was, is and it seems will always be the secondary.

Tramon is finished, he is at PI in every single play, he can't cover he just gambles the INT and he has bad hands.
Hayward can't tackle.
MD Jennings is a complete joke.
Burnett is not as good as we all think he is.

Shields is a good CB and I like Chris Banjo but we don't have fantastic depth or any of that crap.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

The secondary definitely struggled, which still blows my mind considering it was supposed to be one of our positions of strength.

- I disagree about Tramon. I think he is playing pretty well, and just not getting any breaks.
- Hayward's tackling is a concern. Ugh. Hopefully his hamstring is alright though.
- M.D. took some bad angles. Definitely getting old.
- And I think Burnett just had a bad day. Everybody has them every now and then, and this one was rough. He struggled setting the edge in run support, got juked badly several times, got lost deep a couple of times, and broke up a Tramon Williams interception.

Man I hope these guys look A LOT better against NY next week.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
luigis
10 years ago

The secondary definitely struggled, which still blows my mind considering it was supposed to be one of our positions of strength.

- I disagree about Tramon. I think he is playing pretty well, and just not getting any breaks.
- Hayward's tackling is a concern. Ugh. Hopefully his hamstring is alright though.
- M.D. took some bad angles. Definitely getting old.
- And I think Burnett just had a bad day. Everybody has them every now and then, and this one was rough. He struggled setting the edge in run support, got juked badly several times, got lost deep a couple of times, and broke up a Tramon Williams interception.

Man I hope these guys look A LOT better against NY next week.

Originally Posted by: StoicFire 

Please, please! Tramon playing pretty well? They are only calling 1/4 of the penalties he makes, seriously.

Luis
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Wade, were you saying Raji returned to being bigtime? Or Raji's inconsistency returned bigtime?

I thought he stunk the whole game, especially that last drive when we knew the Eagles would run, and literally every play Raji was getting pushed around like he weighed half as much.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
luigis
10 years ago

Wade, were you saying Raji returned to being bigtime? Or Raji's inconsistency returned bigtime?

I thought he stunk the whole game, especially that last drive when we knew the Eagles would run, and literally every play Raji was getting pushed around like he weighed half as much.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Why did we start the drive in nickel? This has to have an explanation other than Capers sucking big time again.
Luis
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
I don't think Tramon is bad, he just needs to be replaced. 2 weeks in a row where he almost had an Interception. The Achilles heel of this defense. The heel this Defense has thrived on the past 4-5 years. This defense is worse than last year, except that the D-line is better. When you're D-Line is the healthiest and by far the best position on your defense in a 3-4, you know something's wrong.

We need to create turnovers badly.. Blitz the shit out of Eli next week and don't get away from it. Cause a fricken turnover for once. I know we got one, but that's not good enough. Need more exotic blitzes! We need a padded practice with some tackling, we are stinking big time in that.

Clay played pretty well with a Club. I see people getting on him, but that's not far since he hasn't played in 4 weeks, with insult to injury playing with a club.

Defense will play better next week, they better or there is no hope to even win another game without Rodgers at the helm.