Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081007&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=81007143&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Other than quarterback, the most important position in the NFL is the defensive line.

The New York Giants rode their strong defensive line to a Super Bowl title last season. Conversely, Mike Shermans inability to shore up the defensive line earlier this decade is one of the primary reasons he is no longer employed by the Green Bay Packers.

This season, the Packers injury-depleted, struggling D-line is a key factor in the teams sluggish 2-3 start.

If its true defense wins championships, then the foundation starts on the line of scrimmage. If you cant rush the passer or stop the run, trouble is sure to erupt. That helps explain why the Packers have lost three straight games and could be in danger of falling out of playoff contention.

The Packers are ranked No. 27 in the 32-team NFL in rushing yards allowed per game, No. 31 in yards per carry and No. 26 in overall yards.

To pin those awful numbers completely on the defensive ends and tackles would be unfair, but everything starts on the line and causes a ripple effect.

A nonexistent pass rush trickles down to the secondary when receivers have more time to get open. Failure to clog running lanes at the line saddles linebackers with a heavier burden.

It was no coincidence the Packers went 13-3 last season and possessed a talented, healthy and deep defensive line. A year later, that same unit, riddled with injuries and inconsistency, has become a liability.

Two recent decisions by General Manager Ted Thompson have contributed to the problem.

Thompson had the right idea in selecting a defensive tackle in the first round of the 2007 draft, proclaiming a team can never have too many good defensive linemen. The problem was he selected the injury-prone Justin Harrell, who in 1 years has been either injured or ineffective.

Thompson invited more trouble by trading Corey Williams in the offseason for a second-round draft pick that was used on quarterback Brian Brohm. The money necessary to retain Williams apparently clouded Thompsons vision of keeping the defensive line well-stocked.

Injuries have ended Cullen Jenkins season and rendered Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila a nonfactor. Harrell, meanwhile, has yet to practice. The result is a defense that hasnt had a sack in 10 quarters and is getting chewed up and spit out by opposing running backs.

Sherman knows all too well what can happen when you fail to build a solid defensive line. He traded up to draft Kenny Peterson, James Lee and Donnell Washington, signed over-the-hill free agent Joe Johnson, overpaid Cletidus Hunt and signed off on the selection of first-rounder Jamal Reynolds. All flopped and played no small role in Shermans departure.

Now, its Thompson who must deal with the consequences of a defensive line that isnt doing its job.

I think someone on this website said the DL was failing the Packers ... 😉
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
corey williams for brian brohm what a deal not.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

corey williams for brian brohm what a deal not.

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

I see what you're saying, but we wouldn't have retained Corey Williams. Remember when he knelt down on Lambeau Field as if it were his last home game? He knew he was gone.

The fact that Ted was able to get a 2nd round pick for someone who we were NOT going to be able to retain and lose in free agency I think was a pretty good move.

Did we have the cap space? I think so, but if he gave him the deal he wanted (like the one Browns gave him) we'd be on the hook for it and most likely missing out on one our core players.

I also believe that Ted and the staff felt comfortable with Jolly and Harrell as well as Cole for the DT rotation with Pickett.

We also don't know what Brian Brohm will be either. We have to give him atleast three years before we can say he's a bust. At least, thats my perception on this.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
no no i totally understand what you're saying and agree. Currently its biting us in the butt because brohm isnt even our back up. Not blaming the pick on ted because i can see where he's coming from. Going into this years draft we didnt know how rodgers was going to perform so im taking it he just wanted to be on the safe side and make sure he had someone too back rodgers up.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Personally, I mean this thread is about the DL, but hell, whatever. I personally would have rather seen that 2nd round pick used else where. We still used a 5-7th rounder for a QB and picked up any ANY veteran QB.

But, back to the DL. The Corey trade was in the best interest of the Packers. I don't think Corey was a solid player as some think he was after last season. It's been duly noted that players often have awesome years their contract year.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
Is Rod Coleman still availible?
blank
15 years ago
i wonder if we could do something like the giants did with tuck. you know what i mean
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Line play on both sides of the ball is the core of a team's success. We're losing on both sides. When our lines play better, the team will look better. It's that simple.
Nemo me impune lacessit
beast
15 years ago

Line play on both sides of the ball is the core of a team's success. We're losing on both sides. When our lines play better, the team will look better. It's that simple.

"WhiskeySam" wrote:

I agree... Where Kampman? Even when a LB blitzes and he gets a one on one battle he's not getting pressure.

Picketts not doing good blocking two OL, like he did last year, but at least he's has an injury.
UserPostedImage
walleye
15 years ago
Young defenders put on spot
McCarthy expects better effort at Seattle
By GREG A. BEDARD

Green Bay - The quarterback position - the success of Aaron Rodgers and whether his two rookie backups are capable of winning games if called upon - will be the one for which Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson is superficially judged.

In reality, the less-publicized decisions Thompson made when it came to the depth on his team especially on defense might ultimately decide whether the injury-plagued Packers can rebound from their three-game skid and return to the playoffs.

Yes, they will (need to play well), Thompson said Tuesday about his young players on defense. The depth and the core of this team is something weve been trying to build up for a number of years.

The groups first extended playing time came Sunday in the 27-24 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, and they got a failing grade.

We had a number of young players on our defense (Sunday) who had an opportunity and didnt take advantage of it, and thats the facts, coach Mike McCarthy said. I thought some of our veteran players played solid, and we didnt get production that we needed throughout the whole defense. We had some young guys with an opportunity that really didnt take advantage of it.

Injuries to Al Harris, Cullen Jenkins, Atari Bigby and others have thrust some players into larger roles, such as defensive ends Michael Montgomery and Jeremy Thompson, cornerbacks Will Blackmon and Pat Lee, and safety Charlie Peprah.

Montgomery and Thompson were asked to help fill in for Jenkins, who was the Packers best defensive lineman this season.

Against the Falcons, Montgomery finished with two tackles and left with a sprained ankle after about 36 plays. Montgomery didnt have a quarterback pressure, and hasnt since the first game of the season. He was one of the main culprits of the porous run defense against the Falcons because he failed to stay in the right position.

A couple times he jumped out of the gaps and thats something you cant do, defensive ends coach Carl Hairston said. To me, sometimes its trying to do too much. You have to understand theres going to be somebody in that gap. And if you dont, well have a problem the rest of the year. I dont question how hard he plays or how physical he plays, but he just has to do the right things and not do too much and stay right there in your gap.

Jeremy Thompson, the Packers first fourth-round pick this year, was the first player Ted Thompson ever traded up to select. Jeremy Thompson was inactive the first four games before getting his 258-pound frame pushed around by the Falcons. He was not awarded any tackles by the game statistician, but the Packers coaches later gave him two after reviewing the game film. Jeremy Thompson still lacks the aggressiveness that Hairston has been trying to draw out of him since being drafted.

He was a little tentative at times, thinking too much, Hairston said. As a young kid you would just like to see him turn it loose and we talked about that after the meetings. He just has to go out and play and not worry about making mistakes. Thats going to happen anyway. He has to go out and be aggressive and use his athletic ability and talent.

Blackmon, Lee and Peprah all struggled in the secondary.

Both Blackmon and Lee failed multiple times to employ one of the Packers basic tactics and bump Falcons receiver Roddy White at the line of scrimmage. That failure contributed heavily to Whites big day: eight catches for 132 yards and a touchdown.

Thats what we do and what we do best, cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington said. When we dont do it, sometimes youre going to struggle. Theyve got to feel that and understand that.

Peprah also struggled but his biggest mistake not covering Falcons tight end Ben Hartsock was covered up by a poor interception thrown by quarterback Matt Ryan.

Those players will have to play better starting Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks because they are the Packers only option.

When Ted Thompson, despite having more than $20 million in salary-cap space, decided to field the leagues youngest team for the second-straight season, he went solely with inexperienced backups to his starters. Some teams like to have at least a few veteran role players at the thinner positions.

The defense got even younger when Ted Thompson on Tuesday released six-year linebacker Tracy White, the most experienced backup on the roster, and signed rookie Danny Lansanah from the practice squad.

The Packers 11 backups on defense (Lee was included because Colin Cole is the sole backup at defensive tackle) have an average of 2.5 years experience and are 24.3 years old.

After the Falcons game, McCarthy realized hes going to have to dial some things back in order for his younger players to be more successful.

He said in the meeting that hes going to simplify things for us and just let us play football, Jeremy Thompson said. There will be less thinking and more playing.

The Packers better hope thats the answer, because if their younger players dont improve, the team wont be playing past December.

Thats why McCarthy might as well have been talking about all his backups when he talked about Jeremy Thompsons play against the Falcons.

Its a good experience for him, but tryouts are over, McCarthy said.

Indeed they are.
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Fan Shout
beast (6h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (7h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.