porky88
10 years ago

Great post porky88. One of the best on the subject.

I look at the QB issues much the same way I look at all the other position groups on the team, and especially so with RB. Seems there is a mentality from our HC that "next man up" needs to be able to make all the throws, etc, yada, yada, yada. Did McCarthy adjust his game plan in Wallace's first start to take some of the heat off of him? Hell no, and he went down in a heap, exiting the game in the first series, replaced by Tolzien, a guy who was called up from the PS just 2 weeks before. Did he adjust his game plan then? Hell no. 42 passing attempts between the two scrubs. He is clearly misusing these players of limited ability and exposure to his system.

How about RB? Had McCarthy adjusted the way our RBs were used after Rodgers went down? I haven't seen it. No real platooning to keep backs fresh. No extra OL to run heavy power formations. Little to no use of the classic FB as a lead blocker. Our OL clearly were not coached up to perform well in a run heavy attack. Hell, we didn't have a run heavy attack. We didn't even use our 3rd RB. Rarely used our FB. Never used an extra lineman.

There is zero accountability from this staff. They are an arrogant lot. We, as fans, have been screaming for an upgrade to our OL coaching, with no change, same with our DC. No change. No accountability. STs have been abysmal. Strenght and Conditioning? wow.

Let's put it this way, Ted nabbed Eddie Lacy (4.0 yds/carry) in the draft - probably the best RB in the draft. He also has provided McCarthy with James Starks (6.8 yds/carry). Lacy has 208 carries to Starks' 58. This is an explosive backfield that has gone underutilized. By rights, with Rodgers having gone down these last 5 weeks, we should be leading the NFL in carries between these two rushers. Add to that, we also HAD a thrasher, change of pace RB who had already proven himself with a 100 yd game in Jonathan Franklin. Didn't get a single carry.

How many other top talents on this team have gone underutilized, or have been misused?

Lacy and Starks should have had close to 40 carries collectively in each game since Rodgers went down. Instead they get 28 v. CHI, 28 v. PHI, 16 v. NYG, 28 v. MIN, and 12 v. DET.

Our Head Coach and his staff stink. You know you have one of the best sets of RBs in the NFL. You know you have some explosive offenses that you are facing, and you want to keep them on the sidelines and chew up some clock. You know you have 3rd and 4th string QBs running your offense. Get your OL ready to pound the rock, and POUND THE ROCK! Mike McCarthy did not do that. He didn't get anywhere close. Use some heavy formations. Use your FB. Use your RBs in a rotation to keep them fresh. Mike McCarthy didn't do any of that.

I don't want to hear about 8 men in the box. They should have game planned around that with an extra blocker and just forced their will on our opponents. But, we don't do that. Is that the GM's fault?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Mike McCarthy does not stink. If you look at the '07 Ravens, they kept Rex Ryan on as defensive coordinator because they recognized one side of the ball was carrying the team. I don't think Green Bay should (or will) fire Mike McCarthy. I want to clarify that. I think the offense is struggling because of the quarterback. The Packers aren't running enough plays. They're not sustaining drives, so they aren't able to run the ball enough. This is the result of the quarterback, in my opinion. Also, they're playing from behind. Philadelphia, N.Y. Giants, Minnesota, and Detroit all jumped out to leads. The lack of runs is a byproduct of playing from behind and failing to convert third downs.

Like Ted Thompson, McCarthy has his strengths and weaknesses. He's a good player developer. He's developed Aaron Rodgers and put in place a system in which Rodgers is thriving. However, he's not a good in-game manager. His adjustments are either late or bad. This weakness prevents him from becoming an elite coach, but the team has won many games with him at the helm.

Regarding Dom Capers, there’s a pattern emerging. And it’s not a good one. How many good seasons has Green Bay’s defense had with him? Some would argue two because of statistics from 2009, but the Packers couldn’t stop veteran quarterbacks. Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Favre, and Kurt Warner dominated that defense, so I wouldn’t classify ‘09 as a good year.

The Packers wouldn’t have won the Super Bowl without Capers and the defense in ‘10. That was a dominating performance and the defense doesn’t get enough credit. That’s about it, though. 2011 and 2012 are messes. 2013 is looking a lot like the worst season of them all.

Teams spend an entire off-season searching for ways to exploit a player’s weakness within the context of a specific scheme. A defensive staff (and offensive staff) must adjust, but I don‘t see any adjustments from Green Bay‘s defensive staff. The players are not without guilt. Neither is Ted Thompson. He’s overvalued several defensive starters. At the end of the day, though, you have a coordinator with one good season out of five. In other words, he’s batting .200 then.

Sometimes you just need a fresh face. Look what’s happening in New Orleans. Rob Ryan is getting it done with largely the same group of players that finished No. 32 in defense last season. As I said before, I believe the foundation is there to build upon. I just don't think Capers is the right guy for the job.
StoicFire
10 years ago

Someone that puts what I am thinking into words. Bless you! =d>

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

😄 I do what I can in these difficult times. lol.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

How about adding "Players Who Have Regressed" into the equation?

Marshall Newhouse
Evan Dietrich-Smith
BJ Raji
Morgan Burnett
Tramon Williams
Don Barclay
John Kuhn
AJ Hawk
MD Jennings
Jerron McMillian
Davon House
Jonathan Franklin

If I am a "draft and develop" team, and that is my philosophy, I am pretty pissed at the lack of development that I am seeing from all of these players. I would consider all of these players in the negative side of the equation. There are others who have simply amounted to little and have taken years to get there, in Brad Jones, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson. Jonathan Franklin, Josh Boyd (who has yet to see the playing field in any measurable sense) and Datone Jones were players added this last draft that we were really counting on helping this team. What happened there?

The only players I have seen developed in a positive sense are Josh Sitton, TJ Lang, Sam Shields, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, Eddie Lacy, Randall Cobb and Aaron Rodgers.

So, through all of these years, Mike McCarthy has developed around 10 players into top talents? Out of 53 players? Is that the GM's fault?

EDS has actually played well this year imo. Think we should give him along with Sitton/Lang some credit for our run game earlier this season. The rest is spot on though.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Marshall Newhouse
Evan Dietrich-Smith
BJ Raji
Morgan Burnett
Tramon Williams
Don Barclay
John Kuhn
AJ Hawk
MD Jennings
Jerron McMillian
Davon House
Jonathan Franklin

Regressed from what? The dude is a rookie.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Marshall Newhouse
Evan Dietrich-Smith
BJ Raji
Morgan Burnett
Tramon Williams
Don Barclay
John Kuhn
AJ Hawk
MD Jennings
Jerron McMillian
Davon House
Jonathan Franklin

To be fair, Barclay,McMillian,and Franklin are to young to say they have regressed, just because mcMillian showed flashes last year, doesn't mean he has regressed, could be he is still learning....Takes time, Barclay was thrown into the fire, again probably not ready. played well at time, then injured,
Franklin had a really bad fumble, but who shwed promise then he also was injured.

Kuhn???? He has become what he was suppose to be all the time, a blocking FB, go back and look and you will see he was doing his job pretty well.
With the emergence of Lacy and Starks, Kuhn wasn't needed as a ball carrier.

EDS, when healthy and playing with Sitton, and Lang looked pretty solid.

The rest, if you say they have regressed, well so be it.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
hardrocker950
10 years ago

Mike McCarthy does not stink. If you look at the '07 Ravens, they kept Rex Ryan on as defensive coordinator because they recognized one side of the ball was carrying the team. I don't think Green Bay should (or will) fire Mike McCarthy. I want to clarify that. I think the offense is struggling because of the quarterback. The Packers aren't running enough plays. They're not sustaining drives, so they aren't able to run the ball enough. This is the result of the quarterback, in my opinion. Also, they're playing from behind. Philadelphia, N.Y. Giants, Minnesota, and Detroit all jumped out to leads. The lack of runs is a byproduct of playing from behind and failing to convert third downs.

Like Ted Thompson, McCarthy has his strengths and weaknesses. He's a good player developer. He's developed Aaron Rodgers and put in place a system in which Rodgers is thriving. However, he's not a good in-game manager. His adjustments are either late or bad. This weakness prevents him from becoming an elite coach, but the team has won many games with him at the helm.

Regarding Dom Capers, there’s a pattern emerging. And it’s not a good one. How many good seasons has Green Bay’s defense had with him? Some would argue two because of statistics from 2009, but the Packers couldn’t stop veteran quarterbacks. Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Favre, and Kurt Warner dominated that defense, so I wouldn’t classify ‘09 as a good year.

The Packers wouldn’t have won the Super Bowl without Capers and the defense in ‘10. That was a dominating performance and the defense doesn’t get enough credit. That’s about it, though. 2011 and 2012 are messes. 2013 is looking a lot like the worst season of them all.

Teams spend an entire off-season searching for ways to exploit a player’s weakness within the context of a specific scheme. A defensive staff (and offensive staff) must adjust, but I don‘t see any adjustments from Green Bay‘s defensive staff. The players are not without guilt. Neither is Ted Thompson. He’s overvalued several defensive starters. At the end of the day, though, you have a coordinator with one good season out of five. In other words, he’s batting .200 then.

Sometimes you just need a fresh face. Look what’s happening in New Orleans. Rob Ryan is getting it done with largely the same group of players that finished No. 32 in defense last season. As I said before, I believe the foundation is there to build upon. I just don't think Capers is the right guy for the job.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

A lot of this I strongly agree with. Mike McCarthy is not by any means a TERRIBLE coach - but I haven't really seen him improve as far as mid-game adjustments as you mentioned (but something he should be much better at by now.)

Dom has only done one thing consistantly - and that is suck. As far as who he has on the field - he should be able to turn out at least an average D. We aren't stocked with tons of superstars, but most of them would be considered average to good. If personnel is causing his schemes to be ineffective, he either needs to adjust his game plan, or get Ted to give him what he does need. Your GM and DC HAVE to be on the same page. Aside from that - injuries are affecting some of this, but a complete breakdown on D would suggest other problems.

Ted needs to adjust as well. It is obvious many issues are related to lack of experience on the field - which is normal for first and second year players, but when this makes up a large portion of the team.... there are too many mistakes as a whole unit. A few FA signings could give these guys the missing pieces. Ted does some great things via draft, but he could do more to round out this team. Yes it will cost some cap, but it is obvious that a team made mostly of late draft picks won't quite cut it.

I think everyone in the organization has some blame to accept, it isn't all on one or two guys. Strength and conditioning, OL coaching, DB coaches are all elements which should also be looked at. It appears that they are all on different pages.
nerdmann
10 years ago

A lot of this I strongly agree with. Mike McCarthy is not by any means a TERRIBLE coach - but I haven't really seen him improve as far as mid-game adjustments as you mentioned (but something he should be much better at by now.)

Dom has only done one thing consistantly - and that is suck. As far as who he has on the field - he should be able to turn out at least an average D. We aren't stocked with tons of superstars, but most of them would be considered average to good. If personnel is causing his schemes to be ineffective, he either needs to adjust his game plan, or get Ted to give him what he does need. Your GM and DC HAVE to be on the same page. Aside from that - injuries are affecting some of this, but a complete breakdown on D would suggest other problems.

Ted needs to adjust as well. It is obvious many issues are related to lack of experience on the field - which is normal for first and second year players, but when this makes up a large portion of the team.... there are too many mistakes as a whole unit. A few FA signings could give these guys the missing pieces. Ted does some great things via draft, but he could do more to round out this team. Yes it will cost some cap, but it is obvious that a team made mostly of late draft picks won't quite cut it.

I think everyone in the organization has some blame to accept, it isn't all on one or two guys. Strength and conditioning, OL coaching, DB coaches are all elements which should also be looked at. It appears that they are all on different pages.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Mike might be a good HC. But I don't like him as an OC.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

To be fair, Barclay,McMillian,and Franklin are to young to say they have regressed, just because mcMillian showed flashes last year, doesn't mean he has regressed, could be he is still learning....Takes time, Barclay was thrown into the fire, again probably not ready. played well at time, then injured,
Franklin had a really bad fumble, but who shwed promise then he also was injured.

Kuhn???? He has become what he was suppose to be all the time, a blocking FB, go back and look and you will see he was doing his job pretty well.
With the emergence of Lacy and Starks, Kuhn wasn't needed as a ball carrier.

EDS, when healthy and playing with Sitton, and Lang looked pretty solid.

The rest, if you say they have regressed, well so be it.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

McMillian shit himself. So did BJ Coleman.

The rest of these guys are fine. Newhouse maybe has regressed. Don't think he's used to the right side anymore after playing two years on the left.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

McMillian shit himself. So did BJ Coleman.

The rest of these guys are fine. Newhouse maybe has regressed. Don't think he's used to the right side anymore after playing two years on the left.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The Great evaluater speaks again!!!!!

Right there is the biggest problem some of you have, expecting 1 and 2 year guys to blossom into STARTING material right away.

Why you even mentioned Coleman is beyond me, he is gone, Newhouse IS THE ONE GUY who has been given ample chances to prove himself and hasn't.

McMillian chances this year have alway come after a late week injury popped up and he was thrown onto the field with hardly any practice time at the position he was playing.

ROOKIES AND 2ND YEAR GUYS MAKE MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!

You want to fault Ted Thompson, go ahead, he is the one that year after year brings in these guys, hoping they will get the chance to develope, but as history has shown us, because of injury after injury they have to play when they are not ready.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
play2win
10 years ago

Regressed from what? The dude is a rookie.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I know, seems odd to me too, but a rookie RB with solid pre draft credentials, gets a 100 yd rushing day, then never sees another carry for the next 5 weeks...

Mike McCarthy certainly hasn't given the kid a chance to grow as a player and gain valuable experience by denying him carries.

So, yeah, regressed. And, we really could have used him during that stretch.

On another note, I have been a staunch McCarthy supporter. There are some things he does as HC that I am pretty happy with to this day. However, there are some GLARING problems that have literally gone unaddressed, for years.

As HC, McCarthy has a responsibility to:
1. Address his problems on defense
2. Address his problems on STs, mainly in kickoff coverage and returns. Our average starting point on kick returns is the 19 yard line. How is Ross now looking like a world beater on a different team?
3. Address his problems in player availability. Our Stregth and Conditioning is awful, for the 4th year in a row.
4. Address his problems in OL coaching. He has had trouble there for years. Why allow poor OL coaching with one of the best QBs in the NFL on your team, and it is your responsibility to protect him?
5. Address his problems in having his team fully prepared.
6. Address his problems in failing to maintain a home field advantage.

All 6 items listed, unaddressed. That is his responsibility as a HC, and he has stunk at all of these aspects of his job. Has he not?

I hate to say that too, but I'm trying to be realistic in looking at this team's problems.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

22h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.