play2win
10 years ago
What is more absurd to me is sticking with this same S & C staff who have delivered some of the worst results over the last 6 seasons. Never have we been top 5, or even top 10. Our very best season we were ranked #16. The other 5 seasons we were ranked #27 or worse. Personally, I cannot conceive of how it would not correlate...
DoddPower
10 years ago
If there is ANY possibility that a modification in the conditioning program, practice routine, or anything else could help with even a few injuries next season, it needs to be attempted. Obviously many of the Packers injuries are unavoidable. But if there's anything that could possibly be done to improve player health, it needs to happen. Thoroughly investigate the problem and make it a top priority in the off season. A couple more healthy players could potentially change the outcome of the season.

Otherwise, the Packers need to plan on missing multiple key starters every season. As a result, they need to somehow have more talented depth or find a way to get more out of the depth they have. Otherwise, we'll be having this discussion next year, as well.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Injuries are all about LUCK! Other than that, everything I would tend to say is already said in Mucsy's posts.

I will now sit back and watch while a bunch of know-nothings rant like they think they know something.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago
Good luck with injuries per this metric doesn't necessarily correlate with winning it all, but it can help put you in position to compete. It is odd that 2 of the last 3 SB winners were in the bottom half, while 24 of the 36 teams to make the playoffs were in the top half of the metric.

In 2012, BAL was #13. SF was #1. 8 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. SF #1, MIN 2 and SEA 4.

In 2011, NYG was #26 and NE was #30. 9 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. BAL #1, NO #3, and DET 4.

In 2010, GB was #30 and PIT # 14. 7 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. KC, CHI and ATL were #s 1, 2 and 3.

I think this really points to overall depth of rosters, the quality of GMs filling those rosters, and, most importantly, who is getting hurt. I would argue GB, NYG and BAL have some exceptional personnel staffs. They've gotten players that can offset the Adjusted Games Lost to Injury metric with deeply talented rosters. That said, I do believe Ted has failed quite a bit over the last 2 or 3 years in terms of adding top talent, but that is not an easy thing to do picking towards the end of every draft, while completely ignoring FA. To me, this should be plain to see that this strict draft and develop mantra is not working. Ted Thompson needs to take a good look in the mirror after this season. This is the 3rd year in a row I'm thinking, "all we need is DL, LB and S help."

Sadly, I believe our high end in terms of talent was that 2010 season, and we have steadily declined from there, especially on D. Being dead last in 2012, with a roster not as deep as 2010 really hurt us, and that looks to have carried over to this season. After all is said and done in this 2013 season, I would venture our injury totals 2 out of these last 4 seasons will have been worse than 2010, with lesser talents on our rosters to fill those gaps. Both of those years we may find ourselves to be dead last in Adjusted Games Lost. I'm just speculating here, but dead LAST, 2 years in a row…??? Too many injuries, and key players unavailable when we really need them.

Maybe it is "luck." Sometimes you have to make your luck. Personally, I think we can do better. SF was #1 last year, and SEA # 4. I would imagine both are faring pretty well this season. We'll see. Maybe we should be looking to improve our strength and conditioning staff. What do we have to lose?
Dulak
10 years ago

UserPostedImage

He'll fix everything for us.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

do better then our current guy
Dulak
10 years ago

It sure does. We have been a very unhealthy, injury prone team over the past 6 years. Only fools continue to make the same mistakes while expecting different results.

I would fire that staff today, if not 2 years ago...

Originally Posted by: play2win 

maybe its because I just fell asleep watching the 'big bang theory' ... but I couldnt make sense of your first post; but this post I got :)

Sounds good!
musccy
10 years ago
Nobody will argue that continuity among your starters is going to benefit you in the playoffs. The two Packers SB teams in the '90s were remarkably fortunate with respect to injuries. You also can't argue that the Packers have been hit hard with injuries of late. Yet again, just being ranked high in the number of injuries doesn't prove the conditioning staff is culpable.
Dulak
10 years ago

Good luck with injuries per this metric doesn't necessarily correlate with winning it all, but it can help put you in position to compete. It is odd that 2 of the last 3 SB winners were in the bottom half, while 24 of the 36 teams to make the playoffs were in the top half of the metric.

In 2012, BAL was #13. SF was #1. 8 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. SF #1, MIN 2 and SEA 4.

In 2011, NYG was #26 and NE was #30. 9 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. BAL #1, NO #3, and DET 4.

In 2010, GB was #30 and PIT # 14. 7 out of 12 of the playoff teams were in the top half. KC, CHI and ATL were #s 1, 2 and 3.

I think this really points to overall depth of rosters, the quality of GMs filling those rosters, and, most importantly, who is getting hurt. I would argue GB, NYG and BAL have some exceptional personnel staffs. They've gotten players that can offset the Adjusted Games Lost to Injury metric with deeply talented rosters. That said, I do believe Ted has failed quite a bit over the last 2 or 3 years in terms of adding top talent, but that is not an easy thing to do picking towards the end of every draft, while completely ignoring FA. To me, this should be plain to see that this strict draft and develop mantra is not working. Ted Thompson needs to take a good look in the mirror after this season. This is the 3rd year in a row I'm thinking, "all we need is DL, LB and S help."

Sadly, I believe our high end in terms of talent was that 2010 season, and we have steadily declined from there, especially on D. Being dead last in 2012, with a roster not as deep as 2010 really hurt us, and that looks to have carried over to this season. After all is said and done in this 2013 season, I would venture our injury totals 2 out of these last 4 seasons will have been worse than 2010, with lesser talents on our rosters to fill those gaps. Both of those years we may find ourselves to be dead last in Adjusted Games Lost. I'm just speculating here, but dead LAST, 2 years in a row…??? Too many injuries, and key players unavailable when we really need them.

Maybe it is "luck." Sometimes you have to make your luck. Personally, I think we can do better. SF was #1 last year, and SEA # 4. I would imagine both are faring pretty well this season. We'll see. Maybe we should be looking to improve our strength and conditioning staff. What do we have to lose?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

This is to go along with play2wins great post ...

Imagine if it was your job to make sure the best football team in the world was to remain healthy; to have the least amount of injuries yet perform to their maximum potential. Imagine you wanted this team to win the superbowl and would put the energy into it so your team could do just that.

Imagine this is what you wanted in a strength and conditioning coach ... now ... not based on the person (since I assume no one here actually knows the coach) - would you hire him based on the previous 6 years results as play2win spoke about?

Ill be a little more blunt - as play2win pointed out ... our dudes are getting hurt, sprains/strains/broken bones/neck injuries/needless surgeries etc ... and more then they should - something is wrong and it keeps being wrong.
In the real world people get fired when they dont perform.

warhawk
10 years ago
Most of the injuries, especially to the key players we lost throughout the season were seen by all of us during the season.

Just this week we all saw how Shields and Neal got hurt. No way S&C can prevent those from happening or could they have contributed to how Mathews, Rodgers, Perry, and Cobb went down.

About all you can hope for is that this evens itself out over the next few years and the players can stay relatively healthy. Go ahead and replace the whole S&C group. If the results end up better it's going to have more to do with percentages and getting more in line with the norm then it has to do with that.

It was another snake bit year. We all saw these players and how they sustained their injuries and no S&C personnel could have changed one damn one of them.
"The train is leaving the station."
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Nobody will argue that continuity among your starters is going to benefit you in the playoffs. The two Packers SB teams in the '90s were remarkably fortunate with respect to injuries. You also can't argue that the Packers have been hit hard with injuries of late. Yet again, just being ranked high in the number of injuries doesn't prove the conditioning staff is culpable.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I'm with ya, brother, but I think you left out a "not" in your first sentence hahahaha.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (3h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (6h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (6h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (6h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (6h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (7h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (18h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (19h) : damn those vikings
beast (19h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (19h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (19h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (19h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.