QCHuskerFan
10 years ago

Actually, I was just quoting the other guy (QCHuskerfan - ask him) who said "2nd best .......". I was kinda curious about that myself.

As for the question, neither now nor the late '90s team dominated quite like Lombardi's Packers, but then it's a lot bigger league now, among other differences. I could easily understand if the original guy saying "2nd best ....." lumped Holmgren/Favre's Packers and Sherman/McCarthy/Rodgers's Packers all together, as we basically have been on one LONG run of success going back to the early '90s.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

^ Packers football has been on a streak of relevancy for more than 20 years. I couldn't see how to divide it so I lumped it all together.

Some of you Johnny- Come- Lately's don't know what losing is like after the last 20 years. That's why you are so quick to criticize current efforts. You want bad? Look at the Starr/ Gregg/ Infante years. Then think about 2013. It'll lower your blood pressure. Suddenly Mike McCarthy & Ted Thompson seem better, don't they?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I've had enough. The vast majority of posters on here the last 72 hours have whined non stop about the actions of a team that has won the Super Bowl in the last few years, has been a consistent playoff team and has a MVP in his prime. You're frustrated that the Packers aren't doing what you think is necessary to get from being really good to World Champions. Like any of us know squat.

But the part that really annoys me is that some of you appear willing to sell out the future of the team for slightly improving the odds that the Packers win the Super Bowl. YOU WHINE LIKE 7 YR OLD GIRLS WHEN WE LOSE CLOSE PLAYOFF GAMES. THE THOUGHT THAT YOU WOULD BE OK WITH A 3-13 SEASON IS LAUGHABLE.

Either you all have only been fans for a few years or you have forgotten what the other side feels like. Rejoice because this is the 2nd greatest era of Packer football and it won't last. Then you'll really have something to complain about!

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

I really have not done a lot of commenting the past few days because in the long run none of it really matters. Uncle Teddy will run the team as he sees fit. He has not done a bad job but he COULD do more. He just doesn't want to. That is his choice. We live with it. He is more than happy to finish 10-6 or 11-5. Make the playoffs and see if Aaron can throw the team on his back and carry them to the SB.

If you want to look back 3 years ago and say you are still full, content and satisfied with a meal that you ate long ago you are welcome to do so. Others are wanting another piece of the pie. Don't yell at them for expressing desire to have more.

The only time a 3-13 team would ever be acceptable is IF a SB was guaranteed for the effort. It was all a play on semantics. Nothing is guaranteed so of course 3-13 would never be acceptable.

If you really understood the SF playoff game you would realize the game was not as close as the score looked. SF was coasting trying to run the clock and shorten their time in the cold.

BTW many of the people you are pointing to have been around the Packers since the 60's.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
10 years ago

^ Packers football has been on a streak of relevancy for more than 20 years. I couldn't see how to divide it so I lumped it all together.

Some of you Johnny- Come- Lately's don't know what losing is like after the last 20 years. That's why you are so quick to criticize current efforts. You want bad? Look at the Starr/ Gregg/ Infante years. Then think about 2013. It'll lower your blood pressure. Suddenly Mike McCarthy & Ted Thompson seem better, don't they?

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

All I can say is you may beat our Packers but you will never lick our Dickey lol. So I am guessing you will know if I know what is like to watch the Packers try and get to a 500 record
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

If they don't win they most definitely will care

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

Football is a team sport. When one player is playing at a top level you can't place all the blame on him. Give me a player that plays at an all pro level and its very hard to consider him overpaid unless its a Revis type deal and Byrd got nothing like a Revis type deal.

sschind
10 years ago
I don't think the Favre era Packers had the weaknesses that the Rodgers era Packers has. They (the Favre Packers) only won 1 championship as well but I think overall the team was better. That and it got better from day one. From the first year Favre got there you could see improvement right up until the loss in the SB to the Broncos.

With the current team there seems to be a fair amount of stagnation. They will always be "right up there" because of Rodgers but the Favre Packers were right up there because the team was more complete.
yooperfan
10 years ago

I don't think the Favre era Packers had the weaknesses that the Rodgers era Packers has. They (the Favre Packers) only won 1 championship as well but I think overall the team was better. That and it got better from day one. From the first year Favre got there you could see improvement right up until the loss in the SB to the Broncos.

With the current team there seems to be a fair amount of stagnation. They will always be "right up there" because of Rodgers but the Favre Packers were right up there because the team was more complete.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Very good.
You call it stagnation, I call it being stuck in second gear.
Either description is sufficient.

nerdmann
10 years ago

Very good.
You call it stagnation, I call it being stuck in second gear.
Either description is sufficient.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I call it "lulls."

Holmgren put an emphasis on offensive tempo. Mike has no concept of that. Also doesn't seem to care about time of possession.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Bobcat
10 years ago
I could be wrong and often I am, but if Peppers is still out there in another week or so it would not surprise me to see the pack show some interest as a situational pass rusher. But then again you guys are all right he doesn't really fit the Ted Thompson mold and is a little of a 1 trick pony, but if he is on the market a while and realizes he will not get a big pay day and wants the chance at a ring, you never know how things might end up.
10 years ago

Football is a team sport. When one player is playing at a top level you can't place all the blame on him. Give me a player that plays at an all pro level and its very hard to consider him overpaid unless its a Revis type deal and Byrd got nothing like a Revis type deal.

You have to remember the safety position is weak so its going to make Byrd look better than he really is.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago

The Wolf/Holmgren Packers had a lights defense that I've been waiting patient to return - Favre just had to not turn the ball over for that team to win. The Sherman Packers had a prolific offensive line and an all out offensive attack with Ahman Green, plus the Favre aerial attack - but lots of turnovers.

The 🇹🇹 /🇲🇲 /🇦🇷 Packers have a very efficient offense, and a sieve for a defense. I'll take the Wolf/Holmgren Packers for now, but I keep praying for defensive improvement.

My biggest disappointment was the Sherman years because having Ahman Green and Brett Favre in their prime, and not even making it to the NFC championship game was horribly unacceptable.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.