play2win
9 years ago

Personally... this is "news" because there is little happening other than signings right now to discuss. There is some "baggage" to this singing.. so they are talking about it.

Just an UDFA signing.. little risk.. this one just might have a little more reward potential based on talent.

Sure other teams have noticed.. if he keeps his head on straight and his talent projects forward in the league.. it becomes another facet they have to defend. Anyone thinking that there is some negative impacts to this signing.. other than the over played "Packer people" nonsense.. it just isn't here.

Much like the Hubbard signing.. there might be a little more potential than average.

What strikes me funny though, is those that hammered the Hubbard signing, are celebrating this one. 🤔

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Yeah, wow. I mean, Lyerla quit on his team... and the drum beat on Hubbard was, wrongly IMO, "head case," "entitled," "locker room cancer" and all that other insane shit. That's pretty funny.

😆 😆 😆
Yerko
9 years ago
That Bob McGinn tweet really set me off. He is a turd.
1. I bet the other 31 teams can give two craps about what UDFA the Packers signed.
2. If any of the 31 teams do have a view point. Maybe they should take a minute to reflect on moves they have made in the past or guys they have given 2nd chances to on their current roster...because there are PLENTY.

There might not be overreaction here on PH, but there is certainly overreaction from the national guys on Twitter, as well as Packers fans.

Is it because aside from Jolly, it really isn't the Packers thing to give guys second chances with this kind of history? Was Jolly more of an acceptance because he was a Packer before all of his incidents (and had Rodgers pulling for him)? I get it, the stuff Lyerla said about Sandy Hook has no place. However, he deleted the tweets and since then has apologized numerous times throughout his tweet history and has said he needs to be given a chance to show change. So, maybe people should let him.

I think this guy has a decent chance to make the 53. Stonebrunner and Taylor are most likely his competition to get a spot on the 53 and that is certainly attainable. Thinking the Packers keep 4 tight ends, maybe 5:
Quarless
Bostick
Rodgers
???
???
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

You were provided several examples of previous signings to 53 man rosters of people committing worse, or allegedly committing worse. Rather than respond to the question of whether those teams took a hit, you sidestep it by saying you're not talking about now and you're talking about in the future. Well guess what, it is the future and I gave you examples of the past.

Lets say Colt does something stupid. Lets say he gets busted doing cocaine. He gets cut, the Packers move on.

How does this hurt the Packers? How does this effect them in any way? The teams mentioned earlier took no hit, why would the Packers take a hit for adding Colt to their 90 man roster?

Do you believe a team is not going to trade with the Packers because they gave Colt a chance?

Do you feel that a team would not agree to play them in the pre-season because they signed Colt?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Holy crap man. Wow. Fine.

Yes, yes, maybe, no, no. How's that?

I'm not talking about a possibility of something as benign as a cocaine bust. We've seen far worse around the league, and I don't think it is wrong to take into consideration the possibilities of what might happen with signing a player with known character issues.

Those last two questions are so far off the map they are really not worth answering Z2C. I mean, really... sorry.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Holy crap man. Wow. Fine.

Yes, yes, maybe, no, no. How's that?

I'm not talking about a possibility of something as benign as a cocaine bust. We've seen far worse around the league, and I don't think it is wrong to take into consideration the possibilities of what might happen with signing a player with known character issues.

Those last two questions are so far off the map they are really not worth answering Z2C. I mean, really... sorry.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

None of them took a hit, not a single one of them. Just as the Packers took no hit with Koren Robinson and/or Johnny Jolly and will not take a hit with Colt Lyerla (crap his name is a pain to type lol).

What would it matter if Colt Lyerla or Jordy Nelson commits a heinous despicable crime? I would argue it would hurt more if Nelson than Lyerla due to the financial investment as well as on the field.

If those last two questions are so far off of the map, then what league cred are you worried about? Are you saying the Packers should worry about what other teams think of them for trying to better their roster? I am trying to understand your point, but I do not.

UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

None of them took a hit, not a single one of them. Just as the Packers took no hit with Koren Robinson and/or Johnny Jolly and will not take a hit with Colt Lyerla (crap his name is a pain to type lol).

What would it matter if Colt Lyerla or Jordy Nelson commits a heinous despicable crime? I would argue it would hurt more if Nelson than Lyerla due to the financial investment as well as on the field.

If those last two questions are so far off of the map, then what league cred are you worried about? Are you saying the Packers should worry about what other teams think of them for trying to better their roster? I am trying to understand your point, but I do not.

On your last question no. Definitely not. I did not say I was worried about ANY league cred. That was Bob McGinn, and MAN is he against this signing. WOW. I agree McGinn is off base on that one.

All I said was we don't know what future PR ramifications the team might face if things do not go according to plan. There may be none, there may be something more substantial. No one knows. But, my point is simply that there is risk with the signing, and I do believe it is minimized by the Packers being the team that he landed with, and their exceptional record in dealing with some of the same issues Colt Lyerla has recently faced.

Really, I'm not against the signing, and I don't think his signing in GB will hurt the team, at all. But, it is indeed not without some measure of risk. The Hernandez thing really blew a hole in NE. SF has to be mortified with the off field shit they dealt with this offseason. I remember some other stuff.... that WR in CAR a long time ago. Mossy Cade.... time has shown that it can be bad if a player goes WAY off the rails.

I'm hoping he makes the most of this opportunity, and Thompson and the Packers are rewarded for their faith and efforts in bringing him along.

Saw a response on another article in a comments section that I really liked regarding the Colt Lyerla signing in GB:

"Hey Colt! What's your ring size?"

😆 😆 😆

Now THAT's what I'm hoping for here... and that he can realize success in life and in football in GB.
luigis
9 years ago
If Bob "the packers can win without Rodgers" McGinn is worried then I'm very happy with the decision.

McGinn is an idiot.

Luis
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I don't believe you're against the signing, but you're adding an ounce of validity to what Bobby is saying. That is what I am targeting. What exactly could happen? What are the ramifications? You said my two questions were off base, but if off base, why the hell would the Packers give a damn about anything else? Do you think fans will not buy season tickets to the games? I mean, what ramifications? I do not get it.

Rae Carruth. Yes, what ramifications did the Panthers have? None.
Aaron Hernandez. What ramifications did the Patriots have? None.

What I'm saying here is what a player does, will not ruin the team. It will not dissuade another team from working with them via trade or anything of that magnitude.

League cred. What is that? What value does it have? If it doesn't correlate to a successful franchise, any implication that the Green Bay Packers give a damn is asinine. That is MY opinion.

Every player ... EVERY player is a risk. The Packers have ZERO risk involved here, ZERO. None. Nadda. Ziltch. Absolutely no more than any other undrafted free agent that was signed.

Do you know why Bobby hasn't inked an article about the Packers GETTING cred for signing players who were homeless and had no previous criminal history? I believe James Jones was homeless. I believe Donald Driver was homeless. Do the Packers get "league cred" for that? Does Bobby have any ink upon that?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago
When Aaron Hernandez was charged with murder there were talking heads that wondered if teams should be held accountable if they continue to sign troubled players that run afoul with the law again. Basically stating that the teams are assuming additional risk and thus they should be partial held accountable for future issues with the troubled players. In other words that teams are enabling the players to continue to live outside the law.

It was never taken any further than that to my knowledge.

If it was.. then I can see why this may have potential harm to the franchises. There might be a potential PR hit if a player brought to town does something horrendous or violent. But even then, the club would at worst only have played a part in the process. See Hernandez and the criticism that the Patriots had to deal with.. albeit it was short lived and minimized by them cutting ties ASAP.

But past that PR stickiness.. there is little harm in giving a young man a chance. Now if you want to play the moralist.. then we better start cleaning the Packers Hall of Fame out of suspect behavior of some of the players honored in there. And start to comb through the backgrounds of current players on the roster. Certainly we have a few more with a couple of skeletons in the closet.. from drugs to arrests.. to work ethic and desire.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
9 years ago

I don't believe you're against the signing, but you're adding an ounce of validity to what Bobby is saying. That is what I am targeting. What exactly could happen? What are the ramifications? You said my two questions were off base, but if off base, why the hell would the Packers give a damn about anything else? Do you think fans will not buy season tickets to the games? I mean, what ramifications? I do not get it.

Rae Carruth. Yes, what ramifications did the Panthers have? None.
Aaron Hernandez. What ramifications did the Patriots have? None.

What I'm saying here is what a player does, will not ruin the team. It will not dissuade another team from working with them via trade or anything of that magnitude.

League cred. What is that? What value does it have? If it doesn't correlate to a successful franchise, any implication that the Green Bay Packers give a damn is asinine. That is MY opinion.

Every player ... EVERY player is a risk. The Packers have ZERO risk involved here, ZERO. None. Nadda. Ziltch. Absolutely no more than any other undrafted free agent that was signed.

Do you know why Bobby hasn't inked an article about the Packers GETTING cred for signing players who were homeless and had no previous criminal history? I believe James Jones was homeless. I believe Donald Driver was homeless. Do the Packers get "league cred" for that? Does Bobby have any ink upon that?

Your belittling of ramifications and perceptions is quite remarkable and blanket. You don't know that.

And, do not throw the McGinn stuff at me. Those are his words, not mine. I think the league credit line he took is stupid.

Let's say, hypothetically, everything is right in Colt Lyerla's world. We are undefeated through ten games. He's making a name for himself around the NFL and everyone is taking notice. Our team is doing well, riding the wave. All of a sudden he goes out to celebrate, has too much to drink and crashes into another car killing a family. You don't think the Packers might face more scrutiny in a scenario like this than if it were another player who had done this?

You don't see risk, not only to said family, but, to a far lesser extent, how something as stupid as that might affect the team? Think that winning streak continues?

No risk? Zero ramifications? Hardly. And, I feel both the Little and Stallworth incidents had adverse effects on their teams. Did the Lofton incident not touch the Packers? Really? Because I sure do remember it, uh, sucking for GB.

How about Walden? How did that work out for us? Were we not undefeated? The next week we squeaked by the Giants, handled the hapless Raiders, then were shocked by a KC team who had nothing to play for. We lost focus. And, that media buzz on Walden was whirring...

Do I think this kind of stuff will happen? No. I'm hoping not anyway. I'm hoping for the best, just like all of us.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Your belittling of ramifications and perceptions is quite remarkable and blanket. You don't know that.

And, do not throw the McGinn stuff at me. Those are his words, not mine. I think the league credit line he took is stupid.

Let's say, hypothetically, everything is right in Colt Lyerla's world. We are undefeated through ten games. He's making a name for himself around the NFL and everyone is taking notice. Our team is doing well, riding the wave. All of a sudden he goes out to celebrate, has too much to drink and crashes into another car killing a family. You don't think the Packers might face more scrutiny in a scenario like this than if it were another player who had done this?

You don't see risk, not only to said family, but, to a far lesser extent, how something as stupid as that might affect the team? Think that winning streak continues?

No risk? Zero ramifications? Hardly. And, I feel both the Little and Stallworth incidents had adverse effects on their teams. Did the Lofton incident not touch the Packers? Really? Because I sure do remember it, uh, sucking for GB.

How about Walden? How did that work out for us? Were we not undefeated? The next week we squeaked by the Giants, handled the hapless Raiders, then were shocked by a KC team who had nothing to play for. We lost focus. And, that media buzz on Walden was whirring...

Do I think this kind of stuff will happen? No. I'm hoping not anyway. I'm hoping for the best, just like all of us.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

lol you put words in my mouth and then got the audacity to say not to throw McGinn stuff at you, the very stuff you're agreeing with?

James Lofton was WITH the Packers when the allegation took place. I specifically said the BILLS. The team that took him on board AFTER the allegations because that is where we are at with Colt Lyerla. AFTER the allegations. There is a difference.

You're gonna put the Chiefs win over the Packers on Erik Walden having an argument with his girlfriend?

You're not even really reading what I'm saying are you? You're just focusing on what you're reply is gonna be. I'm onto you!! :)

If you wanna discuss the ramifications of a player committing a nasty crime and missing games, by all means, please start a new topic-should be a hoot! I'd like to continue discussing Colt Lyerla to the Green Bay Packers 90 man roster and the validity of lost "League Cred" as stated by Bob McGinn in this one. [grin1]

UserPostedImage