play2win
9 years ago
To me, I think this year's roster cut down to 53 players may be one of the most difficult in years. There is some big depth on this Packers team, and I can't help but think some of the new blood will be sticking on the roster over some of our older veteran players.

Who do you see as veteran players clearly on the bubble?

I'm thinking:

Brad Jones
Jerel Worthy
Jarrett Bush
Don Barclay
Brett Goode
DuJuan Harris
Davon House
Derrick Sherrod
Ryan Taylor
Brandon Bostick
Mike Neal

A secondary group of players who I can see will have a serious challenge to make this team are:
Myles White
Jake Stoneburner
Scott Tolzien
Jonathan Franklin
Chris Banjo

This is not about liking or disliking players. Just looking at the talent that was brought in, and who, if any, of the veteran players we've come to know are going to be fighting tooth and nail to keep their jobs in GB.
Pack93z
9 years ago
Your list:

Brad Jones - Agreed - mostly due to contract overhead vs production
Jerel Worthy - If healthy.. probably gets another year post surgery
Jarrett Bush - Yearly he is targeted to be ousted.. yearly he sticks.. special teams and versatility.
Don Barclay - Unless he complete air balls camp.. no way he is let loose. Young and has shown promise.
Brett Goode - Doubt it.. dependable special role player.
DuJuan Harris - Depending on the stable competing with him.. Agreed
Davon House - If healthy.. no.. if not.. agreed.
Derrick Sherrod ""
Ryan Taylor - Possibly.. but hold special teams value.
Brandon Bostick - Doubt it unless he falls flat in TC
Mike Neal - Agreed.

I will add:

John Kuhn - If they can find a younger replacement, he might be a bubble player.
Morgan Burnett - If they find a better combo.. his contract might be tempting to release.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
luigis
9 years ago
Brad Jones: Might be in some danger but I think he will stay.
Jerel Worthy: 50-50
Jarrett Bush: 50-50
Don Barclay: Keeper, he are very thin at guard!
Brett Goode: Maybe?
DuJuan Harris: No way, a Mike McCarthy favorite.
Davon House: We don't have a better CB to keep. He stays.
Derrick Sherrod: Will depend on his injuries.
Ryan Taylor: I don't know.
Brandon Bostick: Will have to battle for a spot.
Mike Neal: Keeper
Myles White: Gone
Jake Stoneburner: Gone
Scott Tolzien: I don't know
Jonathan Franklin: Gone
Chris Banjo: Will have to fight with MD Jennings and I think he stays. Who can lose a position battle with the doc?
Luis
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

To me, I think this year's roster cut down to 53 players may be one of the most difficult in years. There is some big depth on this Packers team, and I can't help but think some of the new blood will be sticking on the roster over some of our older veteran players.

I'm thinking:

Brad Jones
Jerel Worthy
Jarrett Bush
Don Barclay
Brett Goode
DuJuan Harris
Davon House
Derrick Sherrod
Ryan Taylor
Brandon Bostick
Mike Neal

A secondary group of players who I can see will have a serious challenge to make this team are:
Myles White
Jake Stoneburner
Scott Tolzien
Jonathan Franklin
Chris Banjo

This is not about liking or disliking players. Just looking at the talent that was brought in, and who, if any, of the veteran players we've come to know are going to be fighting tooth and nail to keep their jobs in GB.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I am lazy so I will work off your list.

Brad Jones
Brett Goode long shot to be cut.
DuJuan Harris
Derrick Sherrod
Ryan Taylor
Brandon Bostick
Mike Neal
Myles White
Jake Stoneburner
Scott Tolzien
Chris Banjo

money and injuries had a big factor in the whole process.

I counted Kuhn out last year and was wrong so I will give him his last hurrah this year.

I will ignore the PS payers from last year.

Boykin. With three new WR only Cobb and Jordy have a spot nailed down.
Taylor Lane
Starks. Like Boykin nothing is guaranteed.
Chris Harper
Raji
Mulumba/Palmer one not both
Victor Aiyewa, a PS who did get activated later in the season.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
Brad Jones: Do we have anyone else who can cover?
Jerel Worthy: Gets at least another year to show what he can do, unless he completely shits himself.
Jarrett Bush: ST guy on the wrong side of 30.
Don Barclay: Too versatile. A bit of a journeyman, but he can get it done.
Brett Goode: We drafted a guy who can long snap. This staff LOVES to save roster spots.
DuJuan Harris: Agree, but will get every opportunity to be our version of "Sproles."
Davon House: I'd be surprised if he's cut. He can be stiff at times, but he plays tough. Tramon Williams is better, but also much older.
Derrick Sherrod: Time to shit or get off the pot.
Ryan Taylor: Has proven he can do nothing but play ST. Easily replaceable.
Brandon Bostick: Worst case scenario, he's a Ryan Taylor. Best case scenario he's Jmike. Most realistic scenario, he's Quarless 2.0.
Mike Neal: This staff loves tweeners.
Jonathan Franklin: No way Franklin is gone, unless his career is over.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago

I'm thinking:

Brad Jones
Jerel Worthy
Jarrett Bush
Don Barclay
Brett Goode
DuJuan Harris
Davon House
Derrick Sherrod
Ryan Taylor
Brandon Bostick
Mike Neal

Myles White
Jake Stoneburner
Scott Tolzien
Jonathan Franklin
Chris Banjo

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I would add Richardson. Depending on what happens with Hyde I could see a spot coming down to either Richardson and Banjo and there's no guarantee there for either.

Goode is a lock, there's no reason to get rid of a LS whose been automatic for 7 straight seasons. 😳

I think Brad Jones is a lock. There's nobody clearly better at that position on the roster and there's not that much money saved by cutting him. Also his contract really isn't that bad to begin with. I'd put Tramon more on the bubble than Jones.

I also don't really see Barclay, Neal, or House in danger. Barclay and House are good contract wise and House for his inconsistency as a CB has also shown some good stuff on ST while Barclay is really our best back up at 3 OL spots atm. We guaranteed Mike Neal 2.5m and he's a guy they were designing special plays for last year and finally stayed relatively healthy. They're gonna like his versatility too much. Plus I really want to see him lined up next to Daniels on the line rushing the passer in nickle. 😆

Franklin I think is only on the bubble if he's not healthy.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with everyone else.
nerdmann
9 years ago

I am lazy so I will work off your list.

I counted Kuhn out last year and was wrong so I will give him his last hurrah this year.

I will ignore the PS payers from last year.

Boykin. With three new WR only Cobb and Jordy have a spot nailed down.
Taylor Lane
Starks. Like Boykin nothing is guaranteed.
Chris Harper
Raji
Mulumba/Palmer one not both
Victor Aiyewa, a PS who did get activated later in the season.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Mike and Ted have a mancrush on Kuhn. Why, escapes me.

Boykin is overrated, and could be beat out by Kevin Dorsey, who has a year in the system now. Davante Adams may need the first 1/4 of the season to surpass Boykin, just given the complexity of the playbook and the leap to the pro game. Then again there's Abbredaris and Janis too. Either one could beat out Boykin for a roster spot by being the PR.

Starks did great on a pitch count last year. Then again, this staff just doesn't seem to like him for some reason. I guess it wouldn't shock me to see him traded or something. Then again, his position isn't exactly highly valued in the NFL nowadays.

Agreed on Mulumba/Palmer. They won't both make the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago

Mike and Ted have a mancrush on Kuhn. Why, escapes me.

Boykin is overrated, and could be beat out by Kevin Dorsey, who has a year in the system now. Davante Adams may need the first 1/4 of the season to surpass Boykin, just given the complexity of the playbook and the leap to the pro game. Then again there's Abbredaris and Janis too. Either one could beat out Boykin for a roster spot by being the PR.

Starks did great on a pitch count last year. Then again, this staff just doesn't seem to like him for some reason. I guess it wouldn't shock me to see him traded or something. Then again, his position isn't exactly highly valued in the NFL nowadays.

Agreed on Mulumba/Palmer. They won't both make the team.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Mike and Ted have a mancrush on QB1 and Kuhn keeps QB1 on his feet. Also, he's a pretty good blocker.

Boykin isn't overrated. His hands are glue, he gets open, and he can make things happen after the catch. There's really nothing not to like about him.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Mike and Ted have a mancrush on QB1 and Kuhn keeps QB1 on his feet. Also, he's a pretty good blocker.

Boykin isn't overrated. His hands are glue, he gets open, and he can make things happen after the catch. There's really nothing not to like about him.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I agree that Boykin most likely will make the team. But then if they fall in love with Janis and only want 5 WR do they release Abbrederis? Most likely they wold keep 6. They have done it in the past. So that shakes someone from another position.
UserPostedImage
play2win
9 years ago

I would add Richardson. Depending on what happens with Hyde I could see a spot coming down to either Richardson and Banjo and there's no guarantee there for either.

Goode is a lock, there's no reason to get rid of a LS whose been automatic for 7 straight seasons. 😳

I think Brad Jones is a lock. There's nobody clearly better at that position on the roster and there's not that much money saved by cutting him. Also his contract really isn't that bad to begin with. I'd put Tramon more on the bubble than Jones.

I also don't really see Barclay, Neal, or House in danger. Barclay and House are good contract wise and House for his inconsistency as a CB has also shown some good stuff on ST while Barclay is really our best back up at 3 OL spots atm. We guaranteed Mike Neal 2.5m and he's a guy they were designing special plays for last year and finally stayed relatively healthy. They're gonna like his versatility too much. Plus I really want to see him lined up next to Daniels on the line rushing the passer in nickle. 😆

Franklin I think is only on the bubble if he's not healthy.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with everyone else.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That's really funny. He was my last thought on it... do I put Richardson in there...? Yeah, I think you are right. At least, he will be seriously tested.

I know Ted likes Jones, and I just don't get it. He is so one dimensional. Really horrible in coverage. And, i don't get that either...

Mike Neal is an interesting case. He's going to have to make a splash I think. But, he did improve last season, and I hope he continues. Had some nice pass rush and disruption. I like House, and I'm hoping this is the year where he puts it all together. We've seen he has the ability.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (9h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (11h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (14h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (15h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.