MintBaconDrivel
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Jermichael Finley has gained medical clearance from the doctor who did his spinal fusion surgery. Now, the unrestricted free-agent tight end must find an NFL team physician who'll also clear him — which would clear the way for Finley to return to football.

But even Finley's agent, Blake Baratz, speaking on NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk Live  Thursday morning, acknowledged that just because Dr. Joseph Maroon, the Pittsburgh Steelers' team neurosurgeon who performed the C3/C4 spinal fusion on Finley in January, has given him full medical clearance, it doesn't mean other teams' doctors will do the same.

"Opinions can be subjective. Dr. Maroon's opinion may not be the opinion of 31 other team doctors," Baratz told host Mike Florio in a telephone interview , during which he broke the news of Maroon clearing Finley. "Now, a lot of the teams that are interested in Jermichael are getting copies of the films, he's going to start taking visits [on Friday], and the process will start moving along.

"He may not be 100 percent there yet, but he's very close. He's working out, he's in phenomenal shape, he can do everything right now. The question is just whether everyone would sign off on him taking a hit right now, which obviously he wouldn't need to do anyway."

Asked by Florio if Maroon had given Finley full clearance to play football again, Baratz replied, "That is correct. ... The final question is whether those other doctors, whether they're NFL team doctors or independent doctors, would also green-light him to take a hit."

Later in the interview, when asked about the $10 million tax-free disability insurance policy that Finley has in the event that he doesn't play football again, Baratz again acknowledged that other doctors might not clear Finley, even though Maroon did.

"I think in his case, it will be fairly easy because there's going to be a lot of experts and doctors that would not clear him today," Baratz said. "Now, three weeks from now, or six weeks from now, or nine weeks from now, and he plays in X number of games, it's a different story. But if he shuts it down right now, he's got a very sound argument to collect on the disability plan."

Baratz also confirmed that Finley did indeed check in with the Packers' medical staff, including Dr. Patrick McKenzie, on Wednesday but made it clear that it wasn't a full examination.

"He drove with his family to Green Bay, and he hadn't seen Dr. McKenzie in a while," Baratz said. "So it was more of a, 'Let's check in, let's see where you're at neurologically' [visit]. They obviously also got copies of the films, so it wasn't any sort of big conspiracy to go in there and sign a contract. It was more a formality, to check in just because he hasn't seen those doctors in a while."

Baratz wouldn't divulge which team Finley was going to visit on Friday, saying that team had asked him to keep the visit quiet. In March, Finley visited the Seattle Seahawks, whose team doctor examined him and did not pass him on his physical.

In Green Bay, both head coach Mike McCarthy and tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot said they did not see Finley when he was in town.

"I know he was in town. I did not personally see him. I have not had any recent conversations with our medical staff about him," McCarthy said after the team's first open organized team activity practice of the spring. "My understanding is he's in great shape and he's doing everything he can."

Fontenot said he and Finley had exchanged some text messages throughout the offseason and has not given up hope that he'll be coaching Finley again.

"I'm absolutely hoping for the best. Nothing would please me more than to be able to welcome Jermicahel Finley as a member of the Green Bay Packers again," Fontenot said. "[But] that's a decision that unfortunately isn't going to be made by any coaching staffs. It's going to be a medical decision, ultimately. So whatever they say, we move with. Sure, I'd love to see him back, but not at the expense of him possibly further injuring himself.

"Again, it's up to our medical staff. Those are the guys that we trust and we listen to."

There's also the issue of what kind of contract Finley can expect from any team that does want to sign him. Coming off such a major injury, Baratz acknowledged Finley won't have much leverage in negotiations. And that could mean that Finley — despite having said himself on multiple occasions that he wants to play again — may end up retiring.

"The nature of the injury is just scarier because it's more of an unknown for everybody — for GMs, for doctors, for fans, for agents, for media. It's more of an unknown," Baratz said. "If he decides to come back and play, I think someone will probably get a bargain just based on what he would be worth if he was healthy. That's why it's not going to be a no-brainer, easy decision that Jermichael's just going to come back and play football.

"He wants to come back and play, he's a competitor, this is what he knows, this is what he loves, this is what he puts all his time and money and energy into. But regardless, it's going to be a sound decision that we're all going to have some input in, because no one is going to risk putting Jermichael on the field unless we're confident that he's at no greater risk than any other football player. He's got a life to live, he's got a family. Regardless of whether he plays again or not, he'll be fine financially, but there is a financial element to it that is going to impact everyone's advice.

"I think if you asked him right now, it's 'I'm definitely coming back to play.' I think that is the mindset. But is a team offering him minimum salary? Is a team offering him $8 million? Is a team offering him a multi-year deal? Or is a team offering him a one-year deal? As advisors, we've got to say, 'Hey, this is your worst-case scenario. If you go in and you never play a down again, this is what your life is going to look like. And if you make $3 million, this is what your life is going to look like. Here are the risks, here are the ramifications, here are the consequences, here are the positives, here are the negatives.' ...

"At the end of the day, it'll be Jermichael's decision, but it's not going to be an emotional, 'Hey, I'm coming back to football and I'm playing tomorrow' decision. It has to be well articulated and thought out because his life is on the line."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

nerdmann
9 years ago
No way our guy clears him. If Jmike wants to play, he should try out for the Steelers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I don't know how his policy is written but how is he going to collect when the Steelers doc has cleared him? Obviously, the Steelers may not offer him a contract, but let's say they offer him a 1 year minimum deal, and Finley turns it down, how can he possibly be paid out on the insurance policy?

As far as things stands right now, I have to believe Finley is a full go for playing and there isn't a chance in the world he tries cashing in on that insurance policy. I hope Baratz doesn't think he can use the fact that "he can just retire" as a way to try and extort a bigger payday because I don't see how that's going to work.

Also, why is this just a first step? If you have an NFL team doc clearing you, why isn't this a "he's ready to go now" kind of a thing? A lot of this isn't adding up to me.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
9 years ago
People keep getting paid their unemployment even thouigh they get job offers.
play2win
9 years ago

I don't know how his policy is written but how is he going to collect when the Steelers doc has cleared him? Obviously, the Steelers may not offer him a contract, but let's say they offer him a 1 year minimum deal, and Finley turns it down, how can he possibly be paid out on the insurance policy?

As far as things stands right now, I have to believe Finley is a full go for playing and there isn't a chance in the world he tries cashing in on that insurance policy. I hope Baratz doesn't think he can use the fact that "he can just retire" as a way to try and extort a bigger payday because I don't see how that's going to work.

Also, why is this just a first step? If you have an NFL team doc clearing you, why isn't this a "he's ready to go now" kind of a thing? A lot of this isn't adding up to me.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You know what does add up? Ted Thompson has balls of steal, and he will wait this out, after doing due diligence in covering all of his bases should Finley sign with another team before Pat McKenzie would be able to clear him.

We are covered at TE even without Finley. Should there be a spot for him, he's still available, and McKenzie finds a way to clear him sometime between now and mid season, I can see Finley back in the Green & Gold.

Thompson will allow Finley to walk his medical reports and films around the league. If no one signs him, I think they will look at how they can make room for him - possibly signing him then throwing him on the preseason PUP. That would give them until mid November conceivably (October deadline plus 3 weeks afterwards to activate) to bring him back to the playing field.
sschind
9 years ago
I would assume it would be easier to get clearance from the surgeon who performed the surgery. After all it wouldn't look good on his resume if he said "yeah, I did the surgery but it didn't work"

As far as the injury insurance was it just for this neck injury or is it ongoing. A team may sign him and in a few weeks or months he tweeks his neck or takes a big hit and decides "you know what, I don't want to take the chance" he still might be able to collect. I'm sure lots of players take out policies like these.

I also think it is safe to say it isn't about the money. If it was he would take the 10 million tax free dollars. If his neck holds up, and if someone signs him, and if he plays at a decent level he may eventually make it up but how long will it take (figure agents and taxes and all) . I doubt he will net much this season since I doubt there would be much guaranteed money and his salary would probably be a lower "show me" type of contract.

As for McKenzie not clearing him that is entirely possible. He does seem to be rather conservative when it comes to things like this.

As for Thompson not signing him if he is cleared some people feel that Ted already went against one of his tenets by signing Lyerla, a player who may not be considered "packer people" by many. I think Ted has the best interests of the team at heart and obviously if he thinks the potential to make the Packers a better team overides the downsides he will sign him.

I'm not sure where I come down on this. On one hand its his life he can do what he wants and who am I to say he can't play. On the other hand emotions are obviously in play here with his decision so maybe someone has to tell him no. I'm kind of leaning to it his life but it would be very sad to see some sort of permanent injury.

Should the Packers sign him. Again I'm up in the air. On one hand, putting the injury aside which I understand you can't readily do, he is better than any TE we have right now hands down. One or two of the young guys may step up and prove themselves but Finley has the talent and experience to be a top TE in this league this season and seasons on. On the other we have all heard the word potential thrown around so much with Finley that a lot of us are getting tired of it and and are ready to move on. On the third hand (you didn't know I had three hands did you.) What would it cost? If signing Finley means losing Nelson or Cobb I say don't do it.

Bottom line is Finley will make this a better team but is it worth the cost both in potential for serious injury and in salary cap ramifications.

Only Ted will tell.
Yerko
9 years ago
I'm just curious as to why there was no attempt of a physical while with the Packers. If the Steelers team physician cleared him for contact, that means he should be ready for physicals, no?

See ya, J-Mike. Good luck on your future team. I have this feeling that the secret team he is meeting today is the Vikings because he has been in Minnesota ever since leaving GB.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

I'm just curious as to why there was no attempt of a physical while with the Packers. If the Steelers team physician cleared him for contact, that means he should be ready for physicals, no?

See ya, J-Mike. Good luck on your future team. I have this feeling that the secret team he is meeting today is the Vikings because he has been in Minnesota ever since leaving GB.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

God I hope not. Not because I care if he plays for the vikings or not but just because it will start another series of threads about the vikings picking through our castoffs.

I'd rather see us sign him than to have to go through that again.
play2win
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I think it is just timing Yerko. Figure, he just got clearance yesterday. All the medical forms and films have to be made available for other teams to go through, and they will want to do that over a period of time before evaluating the player in person...

This could take a while.

sschind, you made some great points. In the end, I am thinking no other team will sign him, and he'll come crawling back to Green Bay, and they will establish a plan for his return. If he signs elsewhere, so be it. Ted has us covered. Add to it all the real recovery time to get his game back up to speed, and the salary cap ramifications which I would guess to be around $4-5M/yr. and, maybe we are better off if he does go elsewhere.

Either way, I will be happy. We have what I think is a good TE group now, and if Finley does return, the talent group there will be even better.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2 

We all know how he thinks. What is Jermichael Finley really worth from a contract standpoint? I'm thinking in the $3-5M range, and we all know he wants to be one of the highest paid players out there. To me he never came close to matching the value of his last deal with GB. If it were me, I'd say adios, and use the dough to sign Nelson and Cobb...
DakotaT
9 years ago
I'd rather just use our remaining cap money extending Cobb and Nelson.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.