play2win
9 years ago
I'm just going to throw some random stuff out there as best as I can recall it for you.

First impression is the size on this 2014 Packers team. One of the things I was really looking forward to seeing first hand, as I thought Bahktiari and Datone suffered most last season simply from being rookie-sized. Well, holy crap. These players developing did not disappoint. Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, David Bahktiari, Andy Mulumba, JC Tretter and Derrick Sherrod - all of them much bigger than we saw last season, and noticeably so. That was a good sign to see these players who really needed the NFL body type for their positions to mature, and they all clearly put a lot of work in to improve themselves this offseason.

Next, Rodgers in a throwing drill was just ridiculous - throwing into a giant net with 3 smaller target nets located about receiver high. Rodgers nailed every single throw into the small target net. Funny to see Cobb, who was catching some balls in their drills with Nelson, take a turn and drilled the small target net as well after Rodgers last one. Pretty funny.

After that, you can't help but notice the incredible size of Julius Peppers. Being OTAs and his true vet status, didn't get to see a whole lot, but he really is impressive. I did spend more of my time on the O side of the field, but they did do a lot of team drill work, and Peppers was an active part and looked to be moving pretty well.

The kicking units started the day. Returning punts were Cobb, Tramon Williams, Micah Hyde and Jared Abbrederis. This was not at all impressive, and a bit troublesome to see Tramon and Cobby back there.

Mason Crosby looked really impressive. He has a leg. Booting two 47 yd FGs with ease, both would have been good from 60 yds out. Peppers was often lined up over LS to block.

Organization of the OTAs looks good. Busting into full team drills, then position drills, then team takeaway drills, etc. problem today was a number of false starts and offsides O vs. D 11 on 11. I think that was the sloppiness McCarthy was alluding to. Maybe some of the QB play as well. Speaking of which, Tolzien looked much better then Flynn today, who looked very slow to release the ball. Tolzien looked sharp and ready. I could see him winning this backup job if he keeps that up.

My takeaways were:
1. Starks looks fantastic - raw speed and power, and Lacy looks like a fine tuned veteran feature back.

2. Richard Rodgers looks like the real deal. This player has incredible size in the lower half of his body and should prove tough to take down. Showed good hands and route running.

3 The Perillo kid from Maine also looks like he really belongs. Has the size to do it all, showed the speed, the hands, the RAC. I was very impressed by Perillo, all day. Makes one play after another. Also, Ryan Taylor made a remarkable sideline catch and got drilled mid air and hung onto the ball.

4. Datone Jones can make his way to the QB. Man, this player moves! Mike Neal and Josh Boyd also looked great in pass rush.

5. Clinton-Dix and Adams both looked pretty solid at their positions. You can just sense they have those qualities that will set them apart. Ha Ha can really range. Davante can move after the catch.

6. Abbrederis and Janis are insanely good. Janis can absolutely fly. Abby caught a TD and Jani could have probably added a couple more.

7. For as towering a figure as Peppers is, Adrian Hubbard is nearly as tall. Hubbard has the rookie body and could use some meat on his bones, but his play in the drills was sound. Peppers has that veteran beef with him, and, standing alongside Hawk, Peppers made Hawk look like a little boy. That was a comment from my bench neighbor and everybody started laughing.

8. I would be remiss to not mention WR Chris Harper. Wow, did this kid look fluid, fast and sure out there. Left an indelible impression on me and many others nearby.

A couple of other notes I just remembered and thought I would add here.

The DBS and WRs got together for some pass catching and tackling drills. Tackles were made on a giant red workout ball rolled in the direction of the receiver after the catch. Both groups rotated sides, which I thought was cool, both working on catching, turning upfield, with the opposing player working on wrapping up.

Another drill which was pretty good had TEs and LBs fielding onsides kicks. Clear emphasis on fielding the ball, keeping these players sharp for STs.

They also ran a ball security drill that was tough to gauge, as I was looking for more takeaways. However, it was pretty up eventful in that the ball remained pretty damn secure! Good job O!

One other, had O on my side of field and they ran through plays with opposing O players taking defense positions. Really just a drill to get everybody dialed in on correct formations and how plays are run. Rodgers was in at MLB. Jordy played L CB. Jordy could have easily had 2 or 3 pick 6s! It was pretty funny. He was having fun with it, and it made me think this guy could easily play CB in a pinch.

Lastly, the OTA session is over, everyone is off the field and back in the locker room, except one player who wants extra work on his snaps. Linsley. Imagine that. Think he doesn't want that starter job?

I wish I could have caught more of the straight D drills, but I am planning to go up next Tue and will spend more time on that side of the field. Let me know if anyone here wants to meet up.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Thanks for the update... I love hearing about all our future Hall of Famer's. :)

As a side note, on Datone... This guy is curious to me. He speaks as if he'll be the greatest of all time. I recall a quote saying he wanted not only to be the best DE of all time, but the greatest football player of all time. That was last year.

This year he gave the quote about "legends" not always starting out strong out of the gate. I hope he's not delusional and the ankle was the reason he wasn't a difference maker after what sounded like a promising early beginning in Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Jones added some weight big time. You saw it out there for yourself man. I remember last week when I was going through pictures and I was like now THAT is a 3-4 end.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win
9 years ago

Thanks for the update... I love hearing about all our future Hall of Famer's. :)

As a side note, on Datone... This guy is curious to me. He speaks as if he'll be the greatest of all time. I recall a quote saying he wanted not only to be the best DE of all time, but the greatest football player of all time. That was last year.

This year he gave the quote about "legends" not always starting out strong out of the gate. I hope he's not delusional and the ankle was the reason he wasn't a difference maker after what sounded like a promising early beginning in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Hi Sunshine. Good of you to chime in.

Yeah, you and about a million other Packers fans worldwide hope Datone Jones is not delusional. I think we will see marked improvement in his play this season. At least, that's what I am hoping for.

I don't get your seeming penchant for bashing our own players. Really, I don't get that.

Datone Jones seems like a really cool guy. After practice I got to see something kind of cool. This little boy a few seats down from my own started yelling "Daniels! Daniels! Daniels! Daniels!" Over walks Mike Daniels, Datone Jones and Josh Boyd to the railing. Turns out it was Daniels' own son. He reached through the railing and picked him up for a while and they all hung out with their significant others. Nothing a whole lot more, but it was good to see these guys close up and their exchanges.
yooperfan
9 years ago
Thanks for your take.
That's the kind of stuff I've been waiting for.
Nice piece of work.
StarrMax1
9 years ago
Good stuff Play!!!

Was wondering if Linsley was doing any Long Snapping at any time?

Maybe something you could look for the next time you get to watch practice.

The more any of these rookies can do the better their chance is to make the team.

Good to get a fans perspective from OTA's.

play2win
9 years ago

Good stuff Play!!!

Was wondering if Linsley was doing any Long Snapping at any time?

Maybe something you could look for the next time you get to watch practice.

The more any of these rookies can do the better their chance is to make the team.

Good to get a fans perspective from OTA's.

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 

I will look for it StarrMax1.

steveishere
9 years ago
Good to hear that Rodgers at this point at least looks the part and that's interesting about Perillo, I think that guy was really productive in college if I'm remembering right. Rodgers I think is the guy pretty much all of us were most unsure about but if he shows something this offseason we may actually have a good TE battle.

I suppose everything I just said is the equivalent of saying we've got 2 lock hall of famers on our hands but oh well. Reminds me of back when Dhazer would always say he was just being "objective" about Rodgers and accuse everyone else of calling him a god and hall of famer etc..., hilarious. 😆 It's like there's a guidebook out there for this stuff. Extremely overstate positive things said by others and call them homers then take a negative view and call it objectivity.
play2win
9 years ago

Good to hear that Rodgers at this point at least looks the part and that's interesting about Perillo, I think that guy was really productive in college if I'm remembering right. Rodgers I think is the guy pretty much all of us were most unsure about but if he shows something this offseason we may actually have a good TE battle.

I suppose everything I just said is the equivalent of saying we've got 2 lock hall of famers on our hands but oh well. Reminds me of back when Dhazer would always say he was just being "objective" about Rodgers and accuse everyone else of calling him a god and hall of famer etc..., hilarious. 😆 It's like there's a guidebook out there for this stuff. Extremely overstate positive things said by others and call them homers then take a negative view and call it objectivity.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah, both Perillo and Chris Harper were equal in shocking the crowd nearby. I mean everyone is like "who was THAT?" and would share info on players numbers and names, etc. Harper was looking very good, super fluid and fast, catching everything. Perillo has really good size, some good speed and caught everything as well.

Now, granted, this is an OTA in shorts with no pads. Can't know about any blocking ability at this stage, but the kid looks like he could handle anything. Looks very confident.

Richard Rodgers just has the look of a pro. Moves and carries himself with a lot of confidence. His upper body could stand some work, but his lower half from the hips down remind me somewhat of a fully mature James Jones, but much bigger. This kid is indeed unique, and he caught just about everything thrown his way.

I forgot to mention Quarless. Man, did he look great. Made an awesome catch in the flat and turned it up quick.

Easy to forget, too, that not every throw these guys are getting is from Aaron Rodgers on the mark... Flynn was off, Tolzien looked very sharp and the other kid really struggled at times.
StarrMax1
9 years ago

I will look for it StarrMax1.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Appreciate that, and don't be surprised if you get a "wish list" from me by next Tuesday.
😆

These OTA's are where Rookies can really make an impression on the coaches.

Especially the UDFA's.

Was watching The NFL network a few weeks ago and they were interviewing Shannon Sharpe, talking about how OTA's and Pre-season can change a rookies career.

He relayed the story of Terrel Davis playing on special teams his rookie year, his 1st pre-season game he lit up a returner on a kickoff(a play that would probably draw a penalty these days), Sharpe said as soon as he saw that play he new Davis was going to make the team and become the starting RB of the future for The Broncos.

Being able to watch Team practice, gives you a great viewpoint to relay to others here, even though there are no pads, the guys who stand out now, will probably be with the team in September.

Thanks again for the report.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8m) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (24m) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (13h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (18h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (18h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (18h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.