DoddPower
9 years ago

Oh, yes, and if the defense has to resort to a schoolyard gimmick like the "Amoeba" defense, what does that say about things?

It was sorta cute to see...once.

I'm not a huge Capers fan. But that a long time coach like Capers feels that it is necessary to resort to smoke and mirrors to stop a team tells me something about the quality of the defensive personnel he's working with. And that another long time coach like McCarthy seems to agree on the necessity of such gimmicks in a "new look," tells me something about the attitude of the leadership of the team that I don't like.

Call me a whiner if you wish.

But this kind of performance should be completely, utterly, totally, swear-in-front-of-your-grandma unacceptable.

I saw more strive-to-dominate from the Wayne Fontes Lions and the Mike Tice Vikings than in the three quarters of the game I got to see last night.

Mike McCarthy: "We won't sit here and dwell on it." (from the PH Tweeter) WTF is that shit? This is not a performance they need to "put in the past and move on from." This is a performance that needs to be lit up with spotlights and stripped utterly naked.

I'm glad I'm having a colonoscopy next week. That's a few hours I won't have to burn about this game between now and the Jets.

And I'm glad they're playing the Jets next week. All I can say it had better be a (large) double-digit win.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

As mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with gimmicks. They can be very effective, as the Seahawks showed. It always comes down to coaching, execution, and talent, whether it's the most vanilla defense ever or unique schemes. The Packers defense is lacking some talent, but it has enough that a good coach and scheme should be able to field a decent defense most of the time. Most defenses don't have enough talent to dominant by only playing a vanilla scheme, although the Packers happened to be playing one of those teams last night.

A good coach gets the most out of their unit/team. In my opinion, Dom Capers and other coaches on the Green Bay staff do not do that.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Oh, yes, and if the defense has to resort to a schoolyard gimmick like the "Amoeba" defense, what does that say about things?

It was sorta cute to see...once.

I'm not a huge Capers fan. But that a long time coach like Capers feels that it is necessary to resort to smoke and mirrors to stop a team tells me something about the quality of the defensive personnel he's working with. And that another long time coach like McCarthy seems to agree on the necessity of such gimmicks in a "new look," tells me something about the attitude of the leadership of the team that I don't like.

Call me a whiner if you wish.

But this kind of performance should be completely, utterly, totally, swear-in-front-of-your-grandma unacceptable.

I saw more strive-to-dominate from the Wayne Fontes Lions and the Mike Tice Vikings than in the three quarters of the game I got to see last night.

Mike McCarthy: "We won't sit here and dwell on it." (from the PH Tweeter) WTF is that shit? This is not a performance they need to "put in the past and move on from." This is a performance that needs to be lit up with spotlights and stripped utterly naked.

I'm glad I'm having a colonoscopy next week. That's a few hours I won't have to burn about this game between now and the Jets.

And I'm glad they're playing the Jets next week. All I can say it had better be a (large) double-digit win.

They'll move on from it and continue shitting themselves and experiencing lulls.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago

As I mentioned previously, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with "gimmicks." The 'Hawks offense used them a lot with the read option variations and jet sweeps. It's a way of making sure the defense knows their assignments and exploiting them if they don't. However, it didn't seem like the 'Hawks had to RELY on "gimmicks" in order to move the ball either. It was supplemental rather than requisite to success.

I have absolutely no confidence in the personnel in the Packer's front 7 on D, and it feels like stunts, safety blitzes, psycho blitzes, or whatever the hell the ameoba was are the only options the Packers have at generating any pressure on the QB, and I have no clue what they'll do to stop the run. Can this team play smashmouth in the 4th quarter and stop the 'Hawks or ANYONE when they need the ball back? It seems that gimmicks combined with some lightning in a bottle are all we have.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
I don't have a problem with gimmicks, trick plays, special formations, whatever you want to call them. Used occasionally, they can throw just enough confusion into the other team's tendencies.

But I do have a problem with having to rely on them to control the game. When you resort to them as often as the Packers D does, you are trying to finesse your weaknesses.

That says to me, "we know we aren't as good as they are when we play straight up."

And *THAT* is not consistent with the kind of dominant defense I want this team to have.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
musccy
9 years ago

But I do have a problem with having to rely on them to control the game. When you resort to them as often as the Packers D does, you are trying to finesse your weaknesses.

That says to me, "we know we aren't as good as they are when we play straight up."

You worded my thoughts much more eloquently than I could.

When they went to the ameoba it reminded me of a bad day of fishing. You start reaching in the tackle box for something obscure and different just because it's obscure and different. It's like saying "I accept that this won't work, but I really just don't give a $hit anymore. At least I can say I tried everything. Oh, I've got some peanuts and half a ham sandwich left? Hell, throw that on the hook now too!"
steveishere
9 years ago
Rewatching some of the game.

All the talk about Brad Jones but AJ Hawk made the most gutless disgusting play of the game. That first first-down they got on their opening drive OMG it makes me sick just watching it. He reads the play perfectly and has nobody blocking him. Harvin catches the ball about 5 yards short of a first down and Hawk is at the 1st down line with a head of steam towards Harvin who wouldn't even see him because his head isn't even turned yet. Hawk could have gotten to him well short of the first and Harvin wouldn't have had enough time to react if he just kept going, instead Hawk stops AT the 1st down then goes BACKWARD till he's about 3 yards past the 1st down. Micah Hyde who was getting blocked 3 yards behind the 1st down when the pass was caught actually hits Harvin BEFORE Hawk does because he sheds his blocker and moves towards Harvin while Hawk is still running backward.

UserPostedImage

Seriously? Why the hell does Micah Hyde make this tackle? Or better yet, why is he the first defender to even get hands on the ballcarrier? Just looking at the picture you can see Hawk already started slowing up before Harvin even caught the ball... wtf
steveishere
9 years ago
UserPostedImage

Here is where he actually gets tackled. How does this happen?
steveishere
9 years ago
I'm just done with AJ Hawk. You cannot coach that out of someone that's simply his instincts at work. At the very least you have to give a young gun like Barrington more than 0 snaps next week. I doubt Dom will bench a precious veteran but there's no excuse not to give someone else an opportunity after the display from both our ILBs. I'll say this about Brad Jones though I've never seen him make a spineless play like that. He may miss a tackle but he'll at least stick his nose in there every chance he gets.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Rewatching some of the game.

All the talk about Brad Jones but AJ Hawk made the most gutless disgusting play of the game. That first first-down they got on their opening drive OMG it makes me sick just watching it. He reads the play perfectly and has nobody blocking him. Harvin catches the ball about 5 yards short of a first down and Hawk is at the 1st down line with a head of steam towards Harvin who wouldn't even see him because his head isn't even turned yet. Hawk could have gotten to him well short of the first and Harvin wouldn't have had enough time to react if he just kept going, instead Hawk stops AT the 1st down then goes BACKWARD till he's about 3 yards past the 1st down. Micah Hyde who was getting blocked 3 yards behind the 1st down when the pass was caught actually hits Harvin BEFORE Hawk does because he sheds his blocker and moves towards Harvin while Hawk is still running backward.

UserPostedImage

Seriously? Why the hell does Micah Hyde make this tackle? Or better yet, why is he the first defender to even get hands on the ballcarrier? Just looking at the picture you can see Hawk already started slowing up before Harvin even caught the ball... wtf

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

If nothing else, Hawk has to come up to meet Harvin and force him to beat him one on one in space (which admittingly, is a mismatch) to allow others to come in support.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
steveishere
9 years ago

If nothing else, Hawk has to come up to meet Harvin and force him to beat him one on one in space (which admittingly, is a mismatch) to allow others to come in support.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

For real. Maybe Harvin would catch the pass, get his head around, beat Hawk, and get to the 1st before anyone else gets to him but that's still a hell of a lot harder than him having to catch a pass then run in the open field 5 yards before getting tackled. If Hawk doesn't trust himself to make that tackle though then he has no place on an NFL roster let alone starting.

Wish Mike Daniels or someone would have pulled an Aaron Rodgers and just lit Hawk up in front of the cameras. Dude needs something to set a fire under him.