Zero2Cool
9 years ago
When the schedule was released I think most of us Packers fans expected a loss against the Seahawks and every single one of us hoped for a win. A loss is okay, but to look like a D1 collegiate team after months of preparation and perceived "secrecy" is uninspiring. When your team loses to a better team, that is a lot easier to swallow knowing your team gave its best and just came up short. We witnessed too many mental mistakes. It's not the loss that is upsetting, its how unprepared and how poorly the Packers executed that is most upsetting.

Stop The Cute Stuff
The Packers have this philosophy of trying to one over a team or be secretive to get an edge. I yearn for the days of the '03 Packers when they had about half dozen running plays and everyone knew what was coming and still couldn't stop it. The game of football is not about catching someone off guard. It is about executing better than the man across from you. That is the philosophy this team needs to employ, just like it did towards the end of the '10 season.

Defense
I admit it. I bit. Hook. Line. Sinker. They kept saying how they had new stuff for Seahawks. They kept saying we have new schemes for Seahawks. I was excited to see it. I noticed quite a few different schemes and the same results as last season. Players looking confused, out of place and failed to wrap up.

Offense
I really believed Aaron Rodgers was going to have a top game, smart and efficient. I didn't expect him to look more confused than Scott Tolzien against the Giants. Rodgers missed a first down run opportunity that made all of us ask, "WTF Rodgers!!". Derek Sherrod played well and then just got ran over again and again. I watched him a few plays and he held his own and poof, just like that, he was a turnstile. All week long I heard coach and players say they will play "their" game and yet they cowardly avoided Richard Sherman's entire side of the field. Grow a pair already!

Injuries
TE Richard Rodgers seems to be okay based on reports. RT Bryan Bulaga has a "knee sprain", so basically we can measure him for his casket. RB Eddie Lacy has another concussion.

Misc
Lacy is going to have a short career, shorter than normal RB's and it is going to be due to his concussions and his unwillingness to want to continue risking brain issues. Linsley played fairly well at Center. I would rather see Sean Richardson at Linebacker next to A.J. Hawk than see Brad Jones on the field again. We all knew Brad Jones is not a good player dating back to his rookie season. It's time to give someone else the spot.

Anyone else tired of Mike McCarthy saying over and over after each game how he knows he made mistakes and yet continues to make the same mistakes in judgment? I'm not saying he's a bad Head Coach. I'm not saying he's a bad Play Caller. I just don't think he can do both at the same time. Maybe give Clements play calling and just do your coaching thing or let Clements make those coaching decisions and focus on play calling?

On a positive note, it was just one game and good to get your worst game out of the way. I had the 49ers added to my dislike list, but if I'm going to add every team that shows up the Packers, I'd end up hating two thirds of the NFL! (joke) I still think the Packers win double digit wins, but this loss, this lack of preparation is disheartening.
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
Gimmicks aren't necessarily bad. The sea hawks utilized them all night with myriad variations of read options and their jet sweep. On their read option td pass cm3 did a great job of being disciplined while shields bit HARD.

Agreed on most of your other points. The tough pill to swallow is everyone knows the sea hawks are the target, and when you get your shorts blown off, in week 1 when you're as healthy as you'll be, with all the promises from Daniels and company about big changes coming it's depressing to know there is a chasm between the elite and the packers. Very hard to be optimistic about post season success this year.
DoddPower
9 years ago

Misc
I would rather see Sean Richardson at Linebacker next to A.J. Hawk than see Brad Jones on the field again. We all knew Brad Jones is not a good player dating back to his rookie season. It's time to give someone else the spot.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I may not think Richardson would make a great coverage safety, but he very well might be a good line backer in certain packers. He couldn't possibly be worse than Brad Jones in coverage. I'm all for trying it out. Or trying anything that gets Brad Jones off the field. The guy simply isn't good enough. He's worse than Hawk, who is only serviceable himself.

musccy
9 years ago

I may not think Richardson would make a great coverage safety, but he very well might be a good line backer in certain packers. He couldn't possibly be worse than Brad Jones in coverage. I'm all for trying it out. Or trying anything that gets Brad Jones off the field. The guy simply isn't good enough. He's worse than Hawk, who is only serviceable himself.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Hell, put in Eddy Lacy over Jones at this point. I saw some tweet where he was responsible for 4 of the 11 missed tackles last night (stunned if there were only 11). Absolutely ineffective and useless.

I'm in chicken little mode at this point and just want to see talent evaluation in preparation for 2015 at this point. I don't care if Lattimore, Bradford, or whoever else we can find are worse than Jones (if that's even possible). Jones clearly will never be a competent solution for this organization, so lets scour through the linebackers we do have to see who has some promise.
steveishere
9 years ago

Gimmicks aren't necessarily bad. The sea hawks utilized them all night with myriad variations of read options and their jet sweep. On their read option td pass cm3 did a great job of being disciplined while shields bit HARD.

Agreed on most of your other points. The tough pill to swallow is everyone knows the sea hawks are the target, and when you get your shorts blown off, in week 1 when you're as healthy as you'll be, with all the promises from Daniels and company about big changes coming it's depressing to know there is a chasm between the elite and the packers. Very hard to be optimistic about post season success this year.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The thing that sucks most about that play is that it should have been a 10 yard penalty because their o-linemen were blocking well past the line of scrimmage before Wilson threw it. It wouldn't have even been one of those ticky tack calls it was blatant.
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
I'm not defending anybody, The Packers WHOLE defense was outclassed and out coached last night.

Jamarri Lattimore and Sam Barrington are there, they should be given a chance to play before trying to convert a S to ILB.

In fact, I read earlier in the year, The Packers were going to use plenty of different packages to get these guys on the field, yet it seemed everytime I looked there was basically the same guys.

My initial observations.

1. When your front 3 on defense can be man handled one on one, then that only spells trouble for the LBr's. All of them.

Maybe now some of you can understand the need for what has been called "the big fatties", on the Defensive line.

Guion was not the answer against The Seahawks, is not the answer going foward.

Boyd looked ok at times, but he is not big enough to play NT the whole game.

Is it time to let Pennel play?

Maybe he could at least hold his own and force teams to double team him, but he is very raw.

Time to make a phone call Ted.

Mathews and Peppers both seemed to get caught crashing the line too many times exposing the edge. again when the O-line can take out the the interior 3 one on one, that leaves 2 lineman and a tight end free to take on any blitzing LBr's.

This game turned on a couple of plays, the big one being when Bulaga and R. Rodgers both went out in the second quarter.

Sherrod played pretty well at first, but was schooled later, the sack, fumble, safety was the real turning point.

As always Turnovers were a huge factor.

Badly timed penalties put the nail in the coffin.

On offense, the biggest worry going into the game, turned out to be a non-issue, Linsley played well, only the one time he did not get the snap off on time, Rodgers called a time out and they moved on.

Aaron looked tentative at times, guessing he didn't want to make the big mistake, but sometime you just have to say screw it and try to make the play.

You can always go back, pull out 2 or 3 plays that could have changed the way the game played out.

Many are so worried that The Packers are not a Play off caliber team.

That remains to be seen, one game is not a season.

Review the film, work on the mistakes, make some adjustments, and in 10 days when The jets come calling, let's see what happens.

Don't be an elephant, game 1 is over, forget about it and look toward game 2.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
musccy
9 years ago

The thing that sucks most about that play is that it should have been a 10 yard penalty because their o-linemen were blocking well past the line of scrimmage before Wilson threw it. It wouldn't have even been one of those ticky tack calls it was blatant.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I didn't see it, but I also don't really think it mattered. Clay was in a position to make a play on Wilson if Shields sticks to his assignment. That was what the play boiled down to, that isolation and Shields forgetting his responsibility on that play.

Whether or not it was a missed call is still ticky tack to me in the sense that it still was a play that could have been effectively defended despite any illegal blocking.
steveishere
9 years ago

I didn't see it, but I also don't really think it mattered. Clay was in a position to make a play on Wilson if Shields sticks to his assignment. That was what the play boiled down to, that isolation and Shields forgetting his responsibility on that play.

Whether or not it was a missed call is still ticky tack to me in the sense that it still was a play that could have been effectively defended despite any illegal blocking.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

It mattered because it should have been like 2nd and 20 instead of a long TD. That sucks no matter how the play went down lol.
musccy
9 years ago

It mattered because it should have been like 2nd and 20 instead of a long TD. That sucks no matter how the play went down lol.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I get what you're saying, but to me the bigger issue is that proper execution still would have stopped that play even with penalties. The read option has been a focus for this defense ever since San Fran 2 years ago, and well paid vets that have been around since then are still the ones making the mistakes.
packman82
9 years ago
Barclay went down and no FA Tackle was brought in as insurance. I get it Ted Thompson you don't like FA's but to think Sherrod could be counted on after his preseason performance is inexuscable. Is Dom Capers leash like 35 feet long ? Time and time again he has shown he can't stop the read option but he gets a pass by saying "Oh we have some unique new twists to surprise Seattle" and then his D gets completely exposed. Looking like another one and done in the playoffs.
blank