olds70supreme
9 years ago
I had a 4 hour drive I couldn't avoid and missed the game. Aside from having the wife update me w/ boxscore info occasionally, what happened? Obviously Rodgers played well, and from the sound of it the defense did as well? Standouts? Likes & dislikes? In particular, how did Matthews, Guion, and Jones/Lattimore play?
blank
evad04
9 years ago

I had a 4 hour drive I couldn't avoid and missed the game. Aside from having the wife update me w/ boxscore info occasionally, what happened? Obviously Rodgers played well, and from the sound of it the defense did as well? Standouts? Likes & dislikes? In particular, how did Matthews, Guion, and Jones/Lattimore play?

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

Fast start by the Packers in all phases. Opening drive started with mix of run and pass with some decent gains. Jordy found a spot against Cover 2 zone on a play action and made the deep safety look silly. Basically jogged it in for a 59-yard TD strike.

Packer defense made Carolina go three and out early and often, and Green Bay made the most of field position. Generated a lot of first downs, added splash plays from Cobb. Running backs averaged 5.2 a carry on 19 carries for 99 yards (Lacy: 12 carries 63 yds, TD; Starks: Seven carries, 36 yards, TD).

Panthers stuck in 28-0 hole before adding field goal just before half. Game was pretty much over unless they answered first in the second half. Packers stuffed Cam on 4th and short on Panthers' first possession of second half. Quickly turned that into points, capping drive with slant to Davante Adams for nice catch and run score.

At that point, 35-3, it was pretty much over.

Panthers added some garbage-time points.

Overall, an excellent total effort. Efficient and balanced offense. Good pass protection, improved rushing lanes. Defensively the run defense held up, but Panthers went into passing mode pretty quickly. Pass rush consistently flustered Cam. Defense shined in short-yardage conversion situations.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

They showed up for a full 60.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
9 years ago

They showed up for a full 60.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

...they had a pretty crappy 4th quarter.

gbguy20
9 years ago

...they had a pretty crappy 4th quarter.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

...were the starters playing
musccy
9 years ago

...were the starters playing

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm kidding. Although I generally agree w/ nerdmann's posts and perspective, whenever he says "we shit ourselves" or "didn't play a full 60 minutes, it drives me nuts.
olds70supreme
9 years ago
Good to hear on the pass rush. I really thought that the Pack would match up badly with the Panthers and that it would be a close game. Glad to see I was wrong.
blank
beast
9 years ago
Sam Barrington got his first start and solved all the Packers problems, Packers won big, the end [grin1]
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago
On a more serious note... Panthers DBs seemed to be very mistake prone, refs called a number of yellows on the Panthers early (some clearly deserves, others I'm sure had the Panthers fans yelling at the refs).

Cobb looked like his old self more today at WR and had a nice punt return.

Perry might be a back-up now but the kid can sure pass rush in this scheme now.

Packers didn't run a ton but when they did (with their starters still in) it looked beautiful... a number of plays where Lacy broke through only to be tripped up by the last guy before being in a sea of open field.

Starks and House both looked very good before getting injured (maybe Burnett as well, maybe).. I don't know of any updates yet. Starks didn't want to put weight on a leg and House looked like it was a finger/hand/wrist thing.

TE Rodgers can block on the move very well and was used as a FB a few times.

WR Dorsey was used a route running RB on one play (didn't work that well, and people wondered why it wasn't RB Harris).

DL played very well until the end of the game when it was basically over... my favorite was when the Panthers got 9 yards on first down... 2nd down was a failed pass play... 3rd down was a RB run for no yards... and the Panthers stayed on the field for 4th down and called a QB sneak which failed to gain the 1 yards as well.

I noticed Newton was throwing a bit high most of the game... partly due to him being pressured most of the game as well.

Lots of pressure which was nice... some full out blitzes (which I'm not a huge fan of) but most of the time they worked, got burned by one late but the game was basically over.

As I said above Barrington got his first start and didn't look bad.

Bostick got in the game late with Flynn at QB and dropped what looked like an easy pass, and people stopped wondering why he's not playing.

Other than one really bad missed tackle by Haha (which big picture wise wasn't that bad but it looked bad) the Safeties looked like beast...

S Richardson seemed to play more than normal... I don't know if that was because of Burnett or what.

Hayward got an INT, but it was thrown to him as Newton and target weren't on the same page, but still give him credit for reactions as DBs sometimes aren't expecting the ball to be thrown at them and turn around to see and drop it.... Hayward caught it.

And oh yeah... Luke Kuechly got tossed out the game... I don't totally blame him though.
Lacy fumbled the ball, and a pile for the ball started (Bulaga got the ball)... but while they were trying to clear the pile, TE Rodgers was pulling guys off from behind them... which included Kuechly... so here TE Rodgers is pushing and pulling Kuechly from behind getting him off... and Kuechly pushed and shoved back at Rodgers and they get in a shoving match (no real problem)... and Kuechly now off the pile... but now the refs come in to break up the shoving match and a ref now grabs Kuechly from behind... and Kuechly reaches back to shove the guy holding him (assuming he thought it was another players like TE Rodgers did earlier) and it turned out to be a ref instead... so the refs got elbowed in the face (by mistake) by Kuechly... and got tossed.

If I was doing the fining I MIGHT go like on Kuechly if possible... he was mostly trying to defend himself and get players off of him, didn't realize it was a ref that time. But again the game was basically over when this happened wasn't a big effect on the game.

UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Sam Barrington got his first start and solved all the Packers problems, Packers won big, the end [grin1]

Originally Posted by: beast 

So that's it then. The Lombardi trophy is ours once again. Yay!!!!!!!!!! [grin1]

Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (9h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (15h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (16h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (16h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (19h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (19h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (19h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (20h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (20h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
28m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.