nerdmann
9 years ago

At times a lot is made of how Ted Thompson constructs the Green Bay Packers roster. The mantra of his regime has been “Draft and Develop.” Year in and year out the Packers are if not the youngest team in the league, they are not far behind. The risky part of this strategy is the

LombardiAve  wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
He at least has to be given credit for maintaining the dynasty. After all only one pick matters in this being a dynasty and that is Rodgers. Imagine today, if Ted had caved and let Brett back. Rodgers would be on a different team today and no telling what we would have at the QB position. So while the Rodgers pick was a no brainer given the circumstances. The decisions that resulted in keeping Rodgers in Green and Gold is the sole reason the team is still going as a dynasty. Which I consider to be continuous since 92'.

If not for Either of those two QBs, I am afraid to think of where the team would be today.

The rest of Teds picks don't really matter, without Rodgers it wouldn't matter who else they drafted unless it was another stud QB.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
sschind
9 years ago
I think someone is being a bit loose with the term dynasty.
yooperfan
9 years ago
Maybe.
If winning division titles is what defines a dynasty.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
No. Thanks for asking. You actually have to win championships not just get participation ribbons to be considered a DYNASTY.

2013 lose Wild Card game.
2012 win Wild Card game, lose Divisional Playoff game.
2011 lose Divisional Playoff game.
2010 win Wild Card game, win Divisional Playoff game, win NFC Championship game WIN SUPER BOWL!!!!!
2009 lose Wild Card game.
2008 Did not qualify.
2007 win Divisional Playoff game, lose NFC Championship game.
2006 Did not qualify.
2005 Did not qualify.
2004 lose Wild Card game.

A 6-6 record with 4 of the wins coming in the same year is not a dynasty.
Failing to achieve your goal 9 times out of ten is not a dynasty. (If you throw in the extra NFC CG then failing 8 out of ten times.)
Yes they made the playoffs 7 times in the last ten seasons but that is not special. 6 teams have made the play offs 7 times or more. Another 5 teams have made it 5 times.

Pitt, New England, Indy and NYG have all won more Super Bowls.
Seattle has appeared in more SB.
SF, Philly and Baltimore have appeared in more NFC or AFC CG
Denver, Atlanta, Chicago and NYJ have appeared in as many NFC CG.

Nothing here looks like a dynasty. Just a team like many others who makes the playoffs on a regular basis.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Dynasty is defined by yours truly as winning 3 of 5 NFL Championships during a five year period.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago

Dynasty is defined by yours truly as winning 3 of 5 NFL Championships during a five year period.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Division championship?
NFC championship?
Super Bowl Championship?

Which?

nerdmann
9 years ago

No. Thanks for asking. You actually have to win championships not just get participation ribbons to be considered a DYNASTY.

2013 lose Wild Card game.
2012 win Wild Card game, lose Divisional Playoff game.
2011 lose Divisional Playoff game.
2010 win Wild Card game, win Divisional Playoff game, win NFC Championship game WIN SUPER BOWL!!!!!
2009 lose Wild Card game.
2008 Did not qualify.
2007 win Divisional Playoff game, lose NFC Championship game.
2006 Did not qualify.
2005 Did not qualify.
2004 lose Wild Card game.

A 6-6 record with 4 of the wins coming in the same year is not a dynasty.
Failing to achieve your goal 9 times out of ten is not a dynasty. (If you throw in the extra NFC CG then failing 8 out of ten times.)
Yes they made the playoffs 7 times in the last ten seasons but that is not special. 6 teams have made the play offs 7 times or more. Another 5 teams have made it 5 times.

Pitt, New England, Indy and NYG have all won more Super Bowls.
Seattle has appeared in more SB.
SF, Philly and Baltimore have appeared in more NFC or AFC CG
Denver, Atlanta, Chicago and NYJ have appeared in as many NFC CG.

Nothing here looks like a dynasty. Just a team like many others who makes the playoffs on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If they win another SB (and I think they will,) then this could be considered a dynasty. I'd prefer them to win two more, (and I think they can) before we start throwing the D-word around, but with another SB, one could make the case.

Look at all the GMs around the league, from the Ted GM tree. That's part of it, imo.

Keep in mind, we were also robbed of the playoffs in '09.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

He at least has to be given credit for maintaining the dynasty. After all only one pick matters in this being a dynasty and that is Rodgers. Imagine today, if Ted had caved and let Brett back. Rodgers would be on a different team today and no telling what we would have at the QB position. So while the Rodgers pick was a no brainer given the circumstances. The decisions that resulted in keeping Rodgers in Green and Gold is the sole reason the team is still going as a dynasty. Which I consider to be continuous since 92'.

If not for Either of those two QBs, I am afraid to think of where the team would be today.

The rest of Teds picks don't really matter, without Rodgers it wouldn't matter who else they drafted unless it was another stud QB.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Aaron was nowhere near this good when he was drafted. Hell, he wasn't very good his first two years. It was only that next offseason where he got up to speed with Mike.

Ted drafted Aaron, true. But he also hired Mike to develop Aaron. That was the move that made it happen, IMO.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago
It is not a dynasty if you compare this team to the 60's version. Much like Bart Starr's numbers pale in comparison to even today's average QB's. But he excelled in his era. This is a different era.

I consider this team to be a dynasty. They have won a Super Bowl. They have made the playoff's consistently. They have the required MVP QB. They are consistently a threat to win it all (Unless you're a Packer fan...).

How many teams have been as consistently good as the Ted Thompson Packers over the last 10 years? Patriots, for sure. Steelers and Giants are the only teams to win multiple Super Bowls in that time. Giants have had as many abysmal years as good. Steelers are too often average, in my opinion. There have been 8 different NFC teams in the Super Bowl in the last 10 years. Seahawks went 8 years between appearances and some of those years were bad. Even if Seattle wins this year, I wouldn't call them a dynasty. This is only their 3rd winning season in a row after 4 losing years.

I don't define a dynasty by winning it all. I define a dynasty by continued excellence. They qualify in today's league. In my opinion.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (26m) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (6h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (7h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (7h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (10h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (10h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (10h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (11h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (11h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (22h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (23h) : damn those vikings
beast (23h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (23h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (23h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (23h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.