wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/sunday-review/please-dont-thank-me-for-my-service.html?partner=msft_msn&_r=0"]NYTimes by By MATT RICHTEL[/URL]

HUNTER GARTH was in a gunfight for his life — and about to lose.

“I’m going to die here with my best friends,” he recalled thinking.
I didn’t know any of this — nor the remarkable story of his survival that day — when I met him two months ago in Colorado while reporting for an article about the marijuana industry, for which Mr. Garth and his company provide security. But I did know he was a vet and so I did what seemed natural: I thanked him for his service.

“No problem,” he said.

It wasn’t true. There was a problem. I could see it from the way he looked down. And I could see it on the faces of some of the other vets who work with Mr. Garth when I thanked them too. What gives, I asked? Who doesn’t want to be thanked for their military service?

Many people, it turns out. Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.

Mr. Garth, 26, said that when he gets thanked it can feel self-serving for the thankers, suggesting that he did it for them, and that they somehow understand the sacrifice, night terrors, feelings of loss and bewilderment. Or don’t think about it at all.

The idea of giving thanks while not participating themselves is one of the core vet quibbles, said Mr. Freedman, the Green Beret. The joke has become so prevalent, he said, that servicemen and women sometimes walk up to one another pretending to be “misty-eyed” and mockingly say “Thanks for your service.”

A few months ago my wife and I were eating dinner at a local restaurant. The table next to us had a young couple, he was wearing his uniform, his father and another friend (Maybe a brother). As they got up to leave his wife left something on the floor behind her chair. (Let's say it was her purse.) My wife got up went over and pointed it out. They were kind of laughing that she always leave something behind.

It was at this point that my wife looked at the young soldier and said, no thank you for your service. Because of what took place prior to my wife telling him this he went a step further and explained to her that, for the most part, they don't want to hear this.

I joined in and together we told the young man that our son had served as well and was wounded while in Afghanistan and then named a few groups that we had sent our money. He said that was different. He said that we understood what our son went through. We told him not really. We know some of the stories. Almost none of the bad ones were relayed to us by our son as he doesn't want to talk to us about them. He nodded.

He went on to tell us if we do want to show support we should join a support group that actually does something. We rattled of several that we belong to. He smiled. My wife hugged him and we went back to our dinner and they went on their way.

I have watched my son over the past 10+ years with this "thank you" phenomenon. When he first joined the local National Guard unit people were thanking him all the time and he was embarrassed. He only spent a few hours a week at the local armory or at one of their training camps. He didn't feel like a real soldier. He had not even had Basic Training yet. So he and I talked about it. He was 18.

It took a while but finally accepted the thanks for all those soldiers who had gone before him and had sacrificed time, limbs, lives, families, jobs and whatever else. Because he was standing in front of the person giving the thanks and the other soldiers were not.

After he returned from Afghanistan his thinking was a lot closer to the other young men in this article. The more time went by the less he wanted to hear a stranger tell him thank you. He never told me until I told him of our conversation in the restaurant.

For the most part these are young men and women. It is hard for them to sort out who is genuine in their appreciation and who is just giving lip service because it is the culturally correct thing to do.

Keep in mind that the first 100 or 1000 people who say the same thing to you is tolerable. When it reaches tens of thousands of times you begin to hate it.

These days I mention first that my son served as well so I sort of understand what they went through. Then I tell them that I really do appreciate the sacrifice that they and their family went through. It takes a little more time to say all of that but the responses I get are a lot more favorable.

If you have not had someone serve but you still want to show your appreciation support an organization that actually provides service to those in uniform not those groups that are really good at raising money in the name of the military but then don't use the funds for the service men and women.

Better yet buy their lunch when you see them sitting in a local restaurant.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
This whole THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE deal was started as a Republican political ploy by G Gordon Liddy.

If you wanna thank a vet, pay for his lunch, kick an organization some money, or make sure that he's not having suicidal ideation.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
9 years ago
Well....I thanked a vet at Walmart a couple days ago. And he and his wife thanked me for doing so.
Fact is, I had no money to buy his lunch, or anything else for that matter.
If I waited until I could afford to do so, I'd never be able to thank a vet.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
9 years ago
I dont know ... well I didnt serve over there ... but living here in the UK the soldiers here often dont get thanked more then not they got looked at and talked about in the media like it was bush and blairs thing to do so therefor they had to go but they shouldnt of; I get a sense that they are not appreciated that much for doing they duty there.

In the past I often talked to these guys and asked em about things or bought them a beer - suppose its one way of showing appreciation.

Im not a big fan of the wars but appreciate the people that have done their duty there and put their life on the line. And think the UK people and media should be more appreciative.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
I have never felt comfortable getting thanked for serving myself. Even though I don't believe I deserve thanks for doing the job I signed up for, now I think it means more to the people thanking me, than it ever did to me, so I try to be as gracious as I can when I accept their thanks.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
I admire all who serve, in whatever capacity.

But in the rare case that I approach a stranger in uniform (at an airport or restaurant or whatever), I admit I first look at the fruit salad. If they're wearing a CIB or a Purple Heart or a "V" on their Bronze Star, then I'm pretty sure that they haven't just served, but they've served where it gets hot. Similar if its a Marine NCO wearing at least three stripes.

And, though there are very few of them left now, I really admire those who enlisted "for the duration."

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
9 years ago
Well I can tell you in talking to my father and his buddies that returned from Vietnam that they would have gladly been thanked opposed to what some of them were subjected to upon the return.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
9 years ago

Well I can tell you in talking to my father and his buddies that returned from Vietnam that they would have gladly been thanked opposed to what some of them were subjected to upon the return.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

That is something that still bothers me too. The way the Vietnam vets were treated on their return home was criminal. No matter how you feel about that war, the guys that fought for our country deserved respect and adoration for their service. Not the spitting on and "baby killer" crap they got.
The vet I thanked the other day was a vietnam vet. His wife told me that he never got any "thank you's" before. It never should have been like that.
My cousin came back from Vietnam in 1968, and the physical problems he has had since then (agent orange) ruined his life forever.
I hadn't seen him in many years, and back in 1996 I got to spend a weekend with him and go deer hunting with him. I thanked him for his service, and to my surprise, he started crying. In his 28 years since his service, I was the first one that thanked him. I ended up crying with him.
I have had similar things happen like this with total strangers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a war monger. I hate the fact that there are any wars. But wars do happen. And those that put their lives on the line for us, and other people, deserve respect.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
I thank our troops by paying my taxes and voting for people who will try and make sure they receive the proper health care and financial support they deserve. And then of course I spew hatred towards all the horrible people that gut vet benefits and give tax breaks to the undeserved.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
9 years ago
I also pay taxes and vote for those I believe will take care of our vets. The democrat Tammy Baldwin, of Wisconsin, was told of gross negligence at the Vets hospital in Wautoma Wisconsin, and ignored it, and vets died because of it. I didn't vote for her, I can tell you that.
But I also know that taking a few seconds of my time to actually SAY "thank you", is appreciated by those that have fought for our (and others) rights.
It doesn't cost me anything but a few seconds of my time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (10h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Novalee

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.