Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
Packers to let Randall Cobb test market, focused on signing Bryan Bulaga and Letroy Guion, per report 

The Green Bay Packers have plenty of cap space after releasing A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones. That doesn't mean GM Ted Thompson is about to deviate from his frugal, long-term approach to team building, however. According to Jason La Canfora, the Packers believe Randall Cobb's market is "likely to get out of hand" and have focused their efforts on retaining other key free agents.

*cue ominous music*

Why on earth would they be in a hurry to prioritize Guion? He has zero leverage at this point even if he avoids time behind bars.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
gbguy20
9 years ago
fuck that
yooperfan
9 years ago
So it's draft, develop and dump.
Neat plan.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I wonder how much of this is the Packers saying "Okay Randall, you think you're going to get $12 million per year, lets see what the market dictates and go from there". And then if the market dictates as such, the Packers have the salary cap space to oblige.

If this is true, it makes perfect sense. You get these two taken care of right away so you know full well what ammo you have for Cobb.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
That's the way I would do it, I don't know why people are so upset. The FA WR market is a lot stronger this year as is the draft at WR so Bulaga being the top FA tackle when there is almost nothing else available is more likely to get a disproportional contract from another team. Also it sounds like Cobb is looking to try and get a #1 wr type contract when it's been common for slot WRs to get paid less. It's smart IMO to see what the market thinks about his position/salary range before committing that much money. Unless he just gets an insane offer from somewhere the only reason for Cobb to leave will be that he wanted to because I think we'll match any reasonable offers.
DoddPower
9 years ago

That's the way I would do it, I don't know why people are so upset. The FA WR market is a lot stronger this year as is the draft at WR so Bulaga being the top FA tackle when there is almost nothing else available is more likely to get a disproportional contract from another team. Also it sounds like Cobb is looking to try and get a #1 wr type contract when it's been common for slot WRs to get paid less. It's smart IMO to see what the market thinks about his position/salary range before committing that much money. Unless he just gets an insane offer from somewhere the only reason for Cobb to leave will be that he wanted to because I think we'll match any reasonable offers.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'm sure Cobb will be able to get a "insane offer." Someone will pay him more than he is likely technically worth if he enters the market and a few teams start bidding.
steveishere
9 years ago

I'm sure Cobb will be able to get a "insane offer." Someone will pay him more than he is likely technically worth if he enters the market and a few teams start bidding.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If someone is dumb enough to pay insane money to a slot WR then you just have to let him go. Cobb is worth paying a lot of money to but there has to be a limit somewhere.
Porforis
9 years ago

If someone is dumb enough to pay insane money to a slot WR then you just have to let him go. Cobb is worth paying a lot of money to but there has to be a limit somewhere.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Cobb isn't your prototypical slot WR. He could absolutely start on half the teams in the leauge, but that'd be a waste of his physical abilities.

No idea why the Packers wouldn't sign him for $9M a year.
Pack93z
9 years ago
Somehow I think this is part of the game of chicken so to speak.. Cobb has to be looking at the QB's around the league and thinking that anyone willing to pay insane money will probably have a QB issue and his production will dip and so will his chances of securing a second (and probably last) big contract. Or he can stay in a system designed to leverage his talents and have confidence that his production will stay up.. maximizing his marketability for that next contract.

Look at what Jennings and Jones have done outside of GB.. walked into a bad QB situation in which they tried to fix in a backwards fashion. There next contract is going to be tough to seek good money, although one could argue Jennings offset that with this contract.

My opinion, if you are in a good position upon a good football team for take slightly less to ensure long term earning viability in a non guaranteed league. Long term thinking.

I am sure that the thinking isn't to just let him walk.. but instead really thinking that the demands at this point are too steep and hoping that it is adjusted in FA. It is a risk to getting blown out of the water by some crazy money.. I just don't think the market is going to be that strong for WR.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
9 years ago
It just seemed to me that this playoff loss was the last straw for Cobb.

He wants to be on a team that's not gonna piss it all away season after season.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (12h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (16h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (17h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (19h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (19h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (20h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.