Pack93z
9 years ago
Not listed but I have a feeling that Jayrone Elliott and Mike Pennel have a good chance at making a leap.. especially Elliott, kid has some serious length to make some noise on the edge.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Bradford.

They screwed up last year in keeping at OLB for most of camp. He'll push for serious playing time by the time the season starts.

Depending on how high they draft WR this year, I'd say either Janis or Abbrederis. There is some good talent that will be available with the Packers second and third round picks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they use one of them for a WR, especially if they end up trading out of the first round to get another 2nd or 3rd or early 4th.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
steveishere
9 years ago
Elliott was easily the most impressive last year. I feel like I'm about the only one who was happy we kept Goodson on the roster last year so I'll go with him.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Not listed but I have a feeling that Jayrone Elliott and Mike Pennel have a good chance at making a leap.. especially Elliott, kid has some serious length to make some noise on the edge.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Very good point and I edited to add more of the guys above. And I think Elliott's quickness with his length and understanding that he needs to change things up is his best skills. I remember reading him talk about his preseason games last year and he talked he kept trying different things to try to keep the OT off guard and then would try to surprise them or catch them off guard. Not saying others don't try that as well, but he seemed to get it to work for him better... than say Perry who very good pass rush almost always seems to be a speed rush to the outside and around.

And Pennel looked like he should of been drafted. He looked raw but good.

I also liked

DL Luther Robinson... he wasn't the most athletic but the guy played VERY tough. I'm not sure he's athletic as you want for a full time 3-4 DE, but I think he's tough enough for NT role.

RB Rajion Neal... I thought he might beat out Harris for a 53 man roster spot before his preseason injury which took him out of that race... but he spend the season on the practice squad.

I'm find Josh Francis and Joe Thomas interesting depth options. Thomas looked like he might be the 5th ILB until like Neal a preseason injury took him out of the race. Francis getting some time in the CFL and IFL and now getting a shot in the NFL. He has potential but is he ready

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

These two and Janis are more long term projects though. They might need another year of development. Goodson too.

For this year, I'm looking at Abbrederis. Barrington and Dix should take a step up. Still waiting on Datone and Nick Perry in that regard as well.

Then there's Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams. They showed something as rookies, so I expect them to be much smoother this year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Of the mostly inactives, Janis is the clear most likely to break out. It pissed me off that they didn't play him more last year. WR doesn't take all that much seasoning for most players on most teams most of the time.

I'm expecting Abbrederis to shine also. With Goodson, it's more hope than expectation; Same with Thornton and maybe Bradford.

Other than Glover-Wright who I just heard of 2 days ago, I don't think I've even heard of those practice squad guys. Oh yeah, Adrian Hubbard - I'm glad he's still around.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
That is because we didn't have nearly as many injuries last year as we have in years past. That was an awesome change.

I'll be keeping an eye on Elliott, Pennel, Bradford, and Hubbard.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
sschind
9 years ago

I thought it was a good and interesting question. So what do you think?
Edit note: There are also others like Jayrone Elliott, Mike Pennel, Justin Perillo, Luther Robinson as guys that were on the 53 man roster last year... and maybe even some practice squad guys as well which might include some of the following Jean Fanor, Josh Francis, Bruce Gaston, Tay Glover-Wright, Adrian Hubbard, Joe Madsen, Cody Mandell, Rajion Neal, Joe Thomas, Jeremy Vujnovich, and Josh Walker.

Thornton, Bradford and Goodson are all now at positions of need and might have better chances to get a shot of stepping up.

While when/if healthy Abbrederis might be the most ready to go of these options but is further down the depth chart because of talented players ahead of him, and Janis might have the highest ceiling and most physical potential of any of them, though he's very raw and needs to be coached up more.

So who do you expect to make the biggest contribution in future years?
and
Who do you think will step up in general of these guys?

Originally Posted by: beast 

Honestly, if any more than two or three of these guys step up to be anything more than a warm body (including Janis, Abby, Thornton and any listed in the original article) I'll be happy with the results. I'm sure more than 2 will make the final roster but I don't really expect a lot out of any of them.

DoddPower
9 years ago

Honestly, if any more than two or three of these guys step up to be anything more than a warm body (including Janis, Abby, Thornton and any listed in the original article) I'll be happy with the results. I'm sure more than 2 will make the final roster but I don't really expect a lot out of any of them.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

The young depth players contributions will largely be determined by the health of the players above them on the depth chart.
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (8h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (8h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (8h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.