Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
Friday, October 24, 2008
Family

I have contemplated many times what I would write when the opportunity came for me to contribute to our family blog. Brittany has been doing a fantastic job, and she is such a gifted writer! Brett and I always marvel at how telling

the story comes so easy for her, the words just always flow. So please bear with me as I begin my first entry into the blog world......

Over the past couple of weeks, my heart has been very heavy. I have stood bysilently watching the media continually attack my husband...Certainly, having been in public life for 18 years, this is not new to us. However, this latest round of media scrutiny has been harder, more disheartening and seemingly unending.
Sure, for some, it is difficult to understand the tough choices we have recently made for our lives. But, although Brett may be in a new uniform on the football field, he is still the same man that all of you have loved, cheered and supported for the past two decades. He is the same man who supported me through my battle with breast cancer and served as my rock during the difficult days following my brothers death. Brett is the same man that helps our youngest daughter with her homework every night, and he is the same man that guides our oldest daughter through this exciting adventure we call college. Brett is the same man who has always put his team first, not personal gains or statistics. And, Brett is the same man we know who is filled with great character, strength, goodness and love. Truly, nothing has changed but a uniform.

Of course, eighteen years ago, when Brett decided to enter the NFL, we learned to take the ups and downs of winning, losing, glory and disappointment as part of the process. But, at the end of the day, we always believed we had done our best to be faithful. Certainly, we did not think professional sports and a life in the fish bowl would be easy or some Pollyanna life, but we learned to listen more to those voices and lessons that mattered most, while treating the others as grains of salt.
But, over the past weeks, we have been deeply affected by the various media reports and accusations that have unfairly questioned Bretts loyalty, fairness and character... Our children, family and friends have been so supportive and steadfast during these times. Brett and I have two wonderful girls, who, daily, show us unconditional love and remind us that everything will be okay.
And, they remind us that media reports, accusations and rumors become irrelevant in light of the joy they bring to our family and in how they remind us that, in all thingseven the tough things--- God has a bigger, better purpose.
But, I will say, most hurtful are those media reports who would like you to believe that Brett is eaten up with bitterness over his split with the Packers. Still feeling some grief, sure but not bitterness. Yes, in the beginning, Brett was angry and hurt with the way things ended, but how could he not be? Brett gave most of his career (and his adult life) to the Packers. They were more than just an organization but also became our home away from home and our surrogate family. We will always love the Packer fans for making Brett more than just the focus of their applause on game day, but as part of their families, too. Again, how could any of us not be hurt and brokenhearted about such a loss of connection? Thus, certainly, Brett does not, in any way, hold a vendetta against his former team. But that has not stopped some from scrutinizing his every move and blaming him for so many things that simply are not true. Some incidents, like the locker room pranks appear funny (but they are still untrue) Others, like the questionable phone calls to other teams, are hurtful, distasteful, and still untrue as they have been reported.
Because of this, lately, my heart has been so heavy. It is very hard to watch the daily toll this has taken on Brett... First and foremost, I am his defender when people tear him down. Thus, each word and accusation weigh down on me like a ton of bricks, because I know the truth behind the rumors. My first instinct is to fight for himfor his character, his peace and his reputation. At the end of the day, I am not just Bretts wife, I am his biggest fan.

But, lately Brett has reminded me of what is truly important and what is not Not long ago when he re-prioritized his life, he asked himself the question Who will be here after football is gone? the answer was his family. So at that moment, our family became priority one for him. Brett reminded me that at the end it is his family, their opinions and their love that matters the most to him. People will have to believe what they will. They have known his character for 18 years, and they will have to trust that, although teams change, a man like Brett Favre does not.

Some may say: But your life is so glamorous. or You cant complain; this comes with the territory. Sure, it is a wonderful life, and, like I said, we take the good with the bad. However, when people choose to intentionally harm my family, I will not accept it as normal or as part of the job. Instead, we will continue to do what we know is right for our family, and will continue to concentrate our efforts in projects that bring positive change and outcomes in peoples lives. For instance, we love working with our foundations and know how important it is to focus our efforts in those areas, continuing to share a message of hope and to eradicate breast cancer through raising funds to help those who are uninsured or underinsured in the states of Mississippi and Wisconsin. We are currently working to find organizations and people that need our help in the New Jersey/New York communitieswhere our new organization, the New York Jets, have all been so supportive and have embraced our entire family with open arms.

So, as you can see, God is doing wonderful things in our midst. But, thank you for letting me vent a bit about where some parts of the journey have become uncomfortable, and, in my opinion, unnecessary. And, please pray for me when the world makes me feel a little too human and much too protective of the people I love most in this world.

But, like Brett reminds me, at the end of the day, we are here to support and celebrate one another, to make the best of what God has given for us to do, and to live each day as the hands and feet of Jesus in the world. We have much to domuch we can do to make a difference and, especially, to make wherever we are planted the best place possible.
Heathiee
CDNRodgersfan
15 years ago
What an awesome blog. How true it is that while enterteaining really in the big picture how pointless is something as silly as a football season. When my lifes done t sure isn't gonna matter at all who won this game or that game but what will matter is what difference you made in people
's lives
Cheesey
15 years ago
Thats cool.

Truth is.........people working in normal everyday jobs get screwed over too. Of course they don't get several million dollars a year and can afford to retire multi millionaires by age 40.
Brett, and his family, are VERY fortunate for him to have a job like that. Yes, it has it's bad side, but with fame and fortune comes media coverage and autograph seekers.
And of course this IS coming from his wife, so i would expect her to put a positive spin for her husband.
I wish him and his family well.............unless of course we meet the Jets in the Super Bowl. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
I think Deanna is saying more then just putting a positive spin on JUST for her husband. All this negative media frenzy has to be taking a toll on Brett's family as well especially when what is being said isnt true. They know the "true" Brett Favre.
Heathiee
TheEngineer
15 years ago
I bet Brett's counting the days until GM Ted Thompson and HC Mike McCarthy move on into other roles outside of the Packers organisation. Probably at that time he'll be retired from playing football and all the plainly obvious resentment and bitterness will be gone.

I'll be honest here, and say that I felt nothing for that blog. I would have rather read how they triumphed over real adversity and family tragedy, rather than all this petty talk about what Brett did or didn't say. I could have done without any reference to the latest scandal.

But since she included it... Well, I don't agree that anyone is trying to "intentionally harm" Brett, as Deanna puts it, nor is it outside the realm of competitive sports anyway. You think politicians can cry foul when their reputation is being questioned? No, it IS part of the job. Sportsmanship IS part of sports, and where strong evidence suggests it is lacking, then I don't see why it cannot be questioned.

If there was intentional harm, then you could easily sue for libel or slander. Who honestly thinks that the Favres can prove that Glazer acted with malice to defame the reputation of Brett Favre?

Ultimately, the way I see it is this:

Brett's come out and cleared the air already on what truly happened. We've accepted that, until proven otherwise, Brett didn't detail the Packer playbook, and all is peachy. Why does more need to be said?
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Sometimes you forget behind the facemask they are human, with families that feel the sting of hurt when they feel wrong.

With that.. I hope things pass soon and life returns to a semi normal pace for the Favre's.. because in the end, he and they are just like us, human.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago

Sometimes you forget behind the facemask they are human, with families that feel the sting of hurt when they feel wrong.

With that.. I hope things pass soon and life returns to a semi normal pace for the Favre's.. because in the end, he and they are just like us, human.

"pack93z" wrote:

Great post!! 🙂
Heathiee
dfosterf
15 years ago
I agree with the Engineer and Pack93z. I was personally past this latest episode within 30 minutes of reading/hearing about it, other than the speculation about how it would continue to impact the fans. I still remain wary of the thought that yet another revelation will rear it's ugly head as to communications between Brett and other football team(s), not because I think Brett is/was actively trying to undermine the GB Packers, but because it is so obviously newsworthy to so many. I maintain my perception that I have had since the whole GB vs. BF "fiasco" began. Brett Favre may in fact be an honest man, but it is Brett Favre's truth, not necessarily the real one, and that is the part that many of the most avid fans do not seem to be able to comprehend, for reasons I understand, just don't happen to be in agreement with. I'm not trying to rekindle any hopefully dying embers, just stating my opinion and at once recognizing and acknowledging those that differ from my own.
Roddyboy
15 years ago
Well, when you have the media, the "fans", and guys who live in their Mom's basement who washed out of the police academy, and are forced to bounce at Happyland at McDonald's, just waiting to pounce and tear the guy to shreds over anything and everything in their blogs and podcasts, I think you'd be a little down about it too.

Oh, and there's also the fools who claim he's "pouting" too..
Ted Thompson will be fired from the Packers soon, and good riddence.

The guy plainly sucks, and he's made the wrong decision. AROD in my opinion is a mediocre player at best, and he will never win the big one. Neither will Ted.

When they are out of GB, I will be then be a committed Packer fan once again. Because I can't get over the "arrogance" of Ted Thompson who put his ego over the franchise by going with Rodgers...

Spin it any way you want, but this is the truth as many Packer fans see it.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
You're walking a fine line. Quit with garbage and keep it Brett or you will visit the dwellings you were in the last few days.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (8h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (15h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.