Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Ty Montgomery | Wide Receiver | Stanford | 6'0" - 216 lbs.

STRENGTHS: Top athlete when healthy. Well-built with long arms, broad shoulders and a thick lower half. Appears well-suited to making the jump to the NFL. Quickly accelerates to leave defenders in his wake and is very aggressive, bursting upfield and fighting through arm tackles to generate positive yardage rather than dancing to avoid contact. He shows good hand-eye coordination to pluck the ball out of the air. Flashes toughness to take the big hit. Comes from a pro-style offense and program with exceptional academic standards, should be able to handle an NFL playbook.

WEAKNESSES: Like a lot of players with a rocked-up build, doesn't possess ideal lateral agility and flexibility, making him a bit straight-linish. Average explosion out of his breaks, perhaps one of the reasons why most of his damage came on vertical or quick screens. Allows too many passes to get to his pads, resulting in some ugly drops in which the ball simply goes right through his fingers. Accelerates fluidly and impressively for a man of his build but there is some question as to his pure speed. Could be seen as a bit of a one-trick pony whose greatest value in the NFL could be as a fourth receiver and kick returner.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW
After a breakout junior season in which the Dallas native racked up 2,208 all-purpose yards (third-most in school history) in helping the Cardinal finish 11-3 and a Rose Bowl berth, Montgomery (and Stanford) appeared to be destined for greatness in 2014. Montgomery took a step back due to injuries and inconsistency, leaving scouts wondering if his spectacular junior season was a fluke.
In 2013, Montgomery earned consensus All-American honors as a kick returner, averaging 30.3 yards per opportunity with touchdowns. He also led Stanford with 61 catches for 958 yards and 10 TDs, many of the dramatic variety. In 2014, he struggled with a shoulder injury and drops. He matched last year's total for receptions but all three of his touchdowns came over the first four games and he finished with only 603 receiving yards.

Flashed early on at Stanford, emerging as a starter in the final four games of his freshman season in 2012, catching seven passes for 120 yards in the Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma State. Torn knee ligaments derailed most of his sophomore season and he finished with 26 catches for 213 yards.

Montgomery has an imposing build and his dual-threat ability as a receiver and returner could still earn him top 64 consideration. Concerns about his durability, agility and hands could impact his final grade.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
Shocked we picked a WR not named Lockett late. Would have expected a TE for effect if we were hitting a Offense boost.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I have to admit this has been a head-scratching night.
all_about_da_packers
8 years ago
He seems to have been used as a receiver and a running back in Stanford's offense.

Definitely good KR/PR numbers, but I wonder if they use him out of the backfield in a Cobb like way.

Definitely did not expect a WR drafted since we had Adams, Abbrederis, and Janis on roster.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
voiceofreason
8 years ago
He looks like a beast to me. I like our record with pass catchers.
blank
RaiderPride
8 years ago
This is REALLY interesting.

I have total confidence in Ted. Most here do not. Heretofore, I am sending him an e-mail to "Thank Him" personally for making Kevin's Packer Forum such a great read over the next three months.

Let the Ted Bashing begin.

My friend "Hazer" is up first I hope...
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
porky88
8 years ago

Draft Watch
Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford
Outlook: Montgomery’s a big, fast, and versatile receiver. He displays outstanding run after the catch ability and is especially dangerous in the open field. He can also contribute as a return man. Because of his size (6-2 & 215 pounds) and speed combo, he‘s not your ordinary slot receiver. Most slot receivers are small and quick, but Montgomery’s size makes him a unique prospect. In a sense, he’s a larger version of Green Bay wide receiver Randall Cobb. Based on his ability and production, he’s a candidate to forgo his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft.

Stock: Up

Written on Oct. 23, 2013

http://www.row12.com/article/2199/College_Football_Thursday_The_Return_of_Florida_State/ 

6. Ty Montgomery, Stanford
A versatile receiver with a terrific burst and acceleration, Montgomery’s tape tells two different stories. His 2013 season was outstanding, where he emerged as one of the Pac-12’s biggest playmakers, while his 2014 tape disappointed likely due to an injured hamstring. His hands are inconsistent; he’s not going to catch everything thrown his way. He shows a lack of concentration in catching the ball in traffic. However, his burst is terrific. When you think he’s covered, he turns on his jets to separate himself from defenders. He’ll likely play the slot, where teams can use his elusiveness to create mismatches. He has terrific run after catch ability. In many ways, he moves more like a running back than receiver. Like a running back, he shows terrific patience in waiting for his blockers to get out in front. His struggles against press coverage could hurt him in the NFL. When he played Michigan State’s vaunted secondary in the 2014 Rose Bowl, he struggled mightily with their physicality.

http://www.row12.com/article/2902/Top_10_Wide_Receivers_in_the_2015_NFL_Draft/ 

I had him No. 26 in my top 100. I value his 2013 tape. He was hurt last year.

greengold
8 years ago

Laser Gunns
8 years ago
most confusing pick so far.

Calling it,

We draft a QB next.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Laser Gunns
8 years ago
Who gets cut,

Abberadris or Janis?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
This guy has 5 special teams TDs in college. It'll be nice to have a dangerous kick returner without putting Cobb at risk.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (8h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (9h) : damn those vikings
beast (10h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (10h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (10h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (10h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (17h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (17h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.