nerdmann
8 years ago

Greg had one less reception than Ahman Green in Greg's rookie season. We had no WR's on this roster. Driver was about it.

Explain James Jones? He wasn't 1st or 2nd... and further we had a TE back when Jennings was on the team unlike when Davante was. That changes things.

You said Davante outdid both Greg and James...Davante was outdone by both and more than that he didn't look as good as either Greg or James at least to me.

Just because he plays for the Packers and some media guy writes that he was some great value and our media picks it up and promotes during a slow time of the year doesn't mean a thing.

Tell me what it is you see in him that is special in any way? I don't see a thing.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You don't see a thing special about Davante Adams, but Janis is the shit. Gotchya. 🤣
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
8 years ago
I think Davante is going to be awesome in this offense. A lot depends on how much he's improved this offseason but on some of those plays last year he reminded me a lot of Donald Driver. He's got some shake and bake after the catch and enough speed to get some yards after. He's pretty stout and doesn't go down very easy and his routes looked great for a rookie. Without an injury to someone it will be tough for him to get to 1k yards behind Jordy and Cobb but like in NE and DAL last year he'll have some games where he makes the difference with his matchups.
sschind
8 years ago

You don't see a thing special about Davante Adams, but Janis is the shit. Gotchya. 🤣

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Janis is big and fast. If you have been paying any attention to Uffda for the last 47 years you know that anyone big and fast is the shit. That is what matters to him. Draft a big fast guy. Trade for a big fast guy. Sign a big fast free agent. I don't care how you do it just get me a big fast guy and we will unstoppable, except our defense will cause us to lose in the playoffs. That pretty much sums up Ufdas philosophy.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Janis is big and fast. If you have been paying any attention to Uffda for the last 47 years you know that anyone big and fast is the shit. That is what matters to him. Draft a big fast guy. Trade for a big fast guy. Sign a big fast free agent. I don't care how you do it just get me a big fast guy and we will unstoppable, except our defense will cause us to lose in the playoffs. That pretty much sums up Ufdas philosophy.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Wow...not at all. Randall Cobb is one of my all time favorite Packers players. Is he BIG? He's not 4.3 either. He's a savvy, smart, winner. Love the guy.

Davante Adams showed me nothing... and I mean nothing to indicate he was, is, or is going to be a big time player for us. He lacks speed. He's not overly strong. There's not a trait I can think of that I saw on display that excited me.

I'll keep asking...what trait of his did you see that made you think that we'd struck gold with him? I mentioned the play in Miami as being the only thing I saw all season. What's yours? Oh, he plays for the Packers and was a 2nd round pick so he must be good?

Jeff Janis looked like a complete gamechanger in his very short time. Rare measurables...something unique and quantifiable in watching him. Blew past guys. Looks like he's playing fast forward. Davante looks typical. A decent sized guy who is a chain mover. I'm sorry I'm not as fired up about him as I am double J. Why should I be?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
8 years ago
Adams showed a lot of promise in his rookie season. I don't think he will be a superstar, but he should be a very good player in the Packers offense, and that's all that really matters. He showed the ability to get open, make tough catches in traffic, and showed that the game isn't too big for him. He may never be a great #1 WR, but he should be a great #3 WR and likely a very good #2 WR. That's a pretty good pick.

I don't think he will be as good as Jordy Nelson, but I think he will be substantially better than James Jones. That's a good player.
Cheesey
8 years ago
To me, you give ALL of them a chance to show what they have got, then make your decisions. Adams MIGHT be big, but ONLY time will tell.
So to say one is great and the other is crap at this time doesn't make sense to me.
The Packers have done pretty well on their choice of WR's lately, so I give them the benefit of the doubt before I pass judgement on who is better.
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

To me, you give ALL of them a chance to show what they have got, then make your decisions. Adams MIGHT be big, but ONLY time will tell.
So to say one is great and the other is crap at this time doesn't make sense to me.
The Packers have done pretty well on their choice of WR's lately, so I give them the benefit of the doubt before I pass judgement on who is better.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The way I look at it I am a Packer fan first and an individual player fan second. I want whatever is best for the Packers. If than means Janis becomes a better WR than Adams so be it In all honesty, aside from making it impossible to live with Uffda 😄 , I wouldn't care if Janis catches 100 pass for 1400 yards and 14 TDs and leads the Packers in receiving (as long as it isn't due to injuries to Nelson and Cobb)

Ahman Green is my favorite Packer RB of all time but in several years I want all of us to be able to say "as great as Green was he can't hold a candle to Lacy" I want Lacy to break all his Packer records. Same with Donald Driver, he may not be my favorite Packer WR but he is up there but I don't want him to be the Packers all time leading receiver for much longer. I want Nelson to pass him in 3 or 4 more years and I also would like to see Nelson pass Hutson for TDs before his career is over (I know tough task) The point is I don't want the best Packer player at any given position to be a player from the past. I want him to be active and contributing now. Once Nelson takes over that position he can keep the title for a few years before he hands it over to Cobb and after Cobb gets to bask in the glory for a while I hope Adams, or Janis, or Abbredaris, or Montgomery or Miles White or some guy they draft next year to take over. I don't care who it is. Now I know that is unrealistic and team leaders don't progress like that but wouldn't it be nice if he best guy is a guy playing right now instead of a guy who played several decades ago. As much as I love and respect the guys from the past I can't wait until we get a LB who tops Nitschke and wouldn't it be great to have a D-lineman who is better than Reggie or Willie Davis.

So what doe this have to do with the Current Packers WR situation? I'll put it like this. I have a friend who is a Bears fan and when they drafted Forte he said "he's going to be a good one but I hope he doesn't break any of Walter's records" That makes absolutely no sense to me and in a way this arguing, which I am part of I admit, is kind of like that. It's like we are all hoping the guy we like is better than the guy the other guy likes. Sure I have guys I like better than others (Adams over Janis for example) but it certainly won't upset me if Janis becomes the greatest Packer WR ever.
hardrocker950
8 years ago
I didn't see anything discouraging about his play last season. He made that heads up play in Miami - you have to give credit for knowing the situation and playing it right. He made some nice catches and wasn't a major liability that I recall. I am failing to see how some unknown talents are already considered better.

If he is one of our worst WRs as some seem to believe - we have a pretty solid group. Good news all around.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
As this thread has gone on I can't help but keep flashing to another player that Davante reminds me of... Terry Mickens. Anyone remember him? Seemed about the same size...looked the same on the field. Same kind of speed and I think Mickens was stronger and Davante probably could outjump him.

I remember the New England game...the guy had a killer drop that probably should've cost us the game. Huge moment...he came up very small. He was out of sync with Aaron deep in the season many times. He looked to be regressing to me...yes, I know he had a fine game vs. one of the worst secondaries in football against Dallas...still, not a big personal fan, but likes sschind I want to see the Packers win so I don't care if Masthay is playing WR to get that done if he can get it done.

One of McGinn's snippets on Adams had a scout from another team saying he was a 4th round type prospect. I was very disappointed when we selected him from that gimmicky offense at Fresno.

Of course, nobody knows for sure how it will all play out with our WR corps but I don't see Davante as any better than James Jones...now, or ever. Janis has a chance to be a real difference maker. I expect to see Janis displace Adams like Adams displaced Boykin. That 2nd round thing is going to be hard to overcome for anyone behind Davante save for Montgomery.

Hopefully, Davante grows on me.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
8 years ago
Wasn't there also a McGinn snippet that said Janis was absolutely horrible or something like that? I'm not sure that's something you want to go off of.