buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

GREEN BAY — To appreciate just how high of public praise Aaron Rodgers on Wednesday afternoon to second-year wide receiver Davante Adams, you have to rewind to roughly 14 months ago. That's when the Green Bay Packers quarterback issued a not-so-subtle training-camp edict — to the then-rookie second-round pick and other young players — that they'd better focus on the mental part of the game or he wanted nothing to do with them.

"We're not quite going to be on the same page every single time, but if you cannot line up right, if you can't get the checks, and if you can't get what you're supposed to do every time, then there's no way you can possibly be on the field when I'm out there," Rodgers said then. "If those guys can't cut it, then there's no way they can possibly be on the field. It doesn't matter how physically talented they are."

As the 2014 season wore on, Adams grew on Rodgers, who eventually saw what he wanted to see from the rookie — not only in Adams two big games (six catches for 121 yards against New England and seven catches for 117 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Divisional Playoffs against Dallas), but also in how he handled his not-so-big games.

That maturity — combined with Adams' natural talent, physical dimensions, athleticism and commitment to learning the offense inside and out — has Rodgers convinced that Adams is headed for big things in 2015, even with Pro Bowl receivers Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb at his position. A little over a year after he'd challenged Adams — although not by name — to step up his preparation, Rodgers couldn't stop talking Wednesday about the approach Adams is taking to his job now.

"In my mind, he has humongous upside — and he's starting to reach that upside," Rodgers said after the team's open-to-the-public organized team activity practice. "I think the opportunities are going to come for him. He's got two great guys to play with. His attention to detail is very impressive and his approach.

"Obviously, the athleticism — as you see on Twitter with his 360, between-the-legs dunk  — is incredible. He brings a different set of skills to the field that we haven't seen around here with his body type, his athleticism and his approach. If you look at the guys who've struck around here and gotten second and third contracts, it's guys who really understand how to make this work for them — the game within the game: The note-taking, the preparation, the study habits, the focus, the practice habits.

"Look at the two guys in this room (Nelson and Cobb) who had phenomenal seasons last year. They both have a great approach to their job and you're seeing Davante really do that. The biggest example to me of the kind of guy that he is, is last year when he went through stretches where he didn't catch the ball, has a huge game against New England, then goes through stretches again where he doesn't get a lot of balls thrown his way, then has a big game against Dallas. That's all about approach and focus. And you can't teach that."

Adams, who caught 38 passes for 446 yards and three TDs in regular-season play and eight passes for 124 yards and another TD in the playoffs, wasn't in the locker room during the media access period Wednesday. But last week, he spoke of what it meant to him to have gained Rodgers' confidence.

"It's big, because that's the type of thing that's going to keep me fine-tuning my own game because I see a guy 🇮🇳 a future yellow jacket [from the Pro Football Hall of Fame] who's got faith in the young guy," Adams said. "That means a lot to me. We've communicated a lot in the locker room and the film room, and on the field obviously. So when a guy like that come to me in clutch situations, it makes me want to push myself even more."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Enough said.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago
Aaron needs to read Uffda's thread, otherwise he'll keep thinking Davante is a good player!

Somebody send him a fan letter!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Aaron needs to read Uffda's thread, otherwise he'll keep thinking Davante is a good player!

Somebody send him a fan letter!

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

"In my mind, he has humongous upside — and he's starting to reach that upside," Rodgers said

I don't recall him saying this about Jarrett Boykin.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago
I'm not surprised, Rodgers really took to him last year. Even when they had miscommunications he wasn't afraid to keep going back to Adams at important times.
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

I'm not surprised, Rodgers really took to him last year. Even when they had miscommunications he wasn't afraid to keep going back to Adams at important times.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Just goes to show how poor a judge of ability Aaron Rodgers is. Clearly he should have been taken with Janis instead. He's much better! 😁
steveishere
8 years ago

Just goes to show how poor a judge of ability Aaron Rodgers is. Clearly he should have been taken with Janis instead. He's much better! 😁

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

I like Janis and I hope he does earn Rodgers and the coaches trust because he'll be a huge weapon if he does. This one or the other crap about Adams and Janis is completely stupid though. Both are WRs who can help the team win it make absolutely no difference if one ends up being better than the other or which one it is. They can make Mike Pennell a WR for all I care if it will help the team win.
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

I like Janis and I hope he does earn Rodgers and the coaches trust because he'll be a huge weapon if he does. This one or the other crap about Adams and Janis is completely stupid though. Both are WRs who can help the team win it make absolutely no difference if one ends up being better than the other or which one it is. They can make Mike Pennell a WR for all I care if it will help the team win.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I don't disagree.

What's really stupid though is the intensity of support for players by fans with non existent true football knowledge. Fans have no idea what is going on. A WR gets open for a TD in a preseason game and gets fan accolades for being great. Coaches realize he was covered by a 7th string DB from the other team. Fans see a decent route run by a WR. Coaches know the player is so stupid he ran the wrong route. Again. Fans see a 40 time and think the player is fast. Coaches see a player everyday in practice that can't block.

There is a reason Janis sat the bench. It's not a conspiracy. Packer coaches are not blind. Their job depends on winning games. If there is a player that is healthy and going to help do that, they will play him. We do not know more than they do.

Pennell would make a better TE, though. 😁
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Aaron Rodgers: “He just has unique agility I think. He’s able to make those jump cuts which I can only dream about. It’s pretty impressive to watch him in practice. DuJuan Harris, you know, he could be special down the road,”

Have you forgotten that beaming smile as Aaron stood on the field with Michelle Tafoya after a Sunday night victory discussing DuJuan Harris?

Or...how about Jermichael being able to be one of the all time greats?

If Aaron Rodgers is your barometer then you're likely going to be VERY disappointed. He has absolutely NO future as a clairvoyant. Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and the like have nothing to worry about.

I'm still waiting for Davante to be the "expert" of the offense that JB was per Rodgers.

"The biggest thing that helped Jarrett is that he became an expert of our offense," Rodgers said.

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/packers-jarrett-boykin-ready-to-let-his-play-do-the/article_3fbcb285-44e4-566e-8d81-39fc7de0b9b4.html#ixzz3cllquLKM 

Here's another Mike McCarthy for good measure:

"Clearly, Jarrett Boykin has taken the next step," McCarthy said Tuesday, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I just love the way he plays. He's had an excellent camp.

"He's physical, his toughness, he's relentless. I think he's exceptional at the top of his route. You see his strength and balance to separate from a DB."

Yup...Boykin took that "next step" to "former Packer" a few months after saying this and much, much, more.

However, a fan like QC a year ago would've been telling me what an idiot I was for the posts I made on Boykin telling me how Mike McCarthy knew so much more about football than I did. Well, there you go... Mike McCarthy clearly knew more about Boykin than I did. Davante is okay... we'll see.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

Aaron Rodgers: “He just has unique agility I think. He’s able to make those jump cuts which I can only dream about. It’s pretty impressive to watch him in practice. DuJuan Harris, you know, he could be special down the road,”

Have you forgotten that beaming smile as Aaron stood on the field with Michelle Tafoya after a Sunday night victory discussing DuJuan Harris?

Or...how about Jermichael being able to be one of the all time greats?

If Aaron Rodgers is your barometer then you're likely going to be VERY disappointed. He has absolutely NO future as a clairvoyant. Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and the like have nothing to worry about.

I'm still waiting for Davante to be the "expert" of the offense that JB was per Rodgers.

"The biggest thing that helped Jarrett is that he became an expert of our offense," Rodgers said.

http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/packers-jarrett-boykin-ready-to-let-his-play-do-the/article_3fbcb285-44e4-566e-8d81-39fc7de0b9b4.html#ixzz3cllquLKM 

Here's another Mike McCarthy for good measure:

"Clearly, Jarrett Boykin has taken the next step," McCarthy said Tuesday, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I just love the way he plays. He's had an excellent camp.

"He's physical, his toughness, he's relentless. I think he's exceptional at the top of his route. You see his strength and balance to separate from a DB."

Yup...Boykin took that "next step" to "former Packer" a few months after saying this and much, much, more.

However, a fan like QC a year ago would've been telling me what an idiot I was for the posts I made on Boykin telling me how Mike McCarthy knew so much more about football than I did. Well, there you go... Mike McCarthy clearly knew more about Boykin than I did. Davante is okay... we'll see.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

DuJuan did have that potential. For whatever reason, and it almost seems like there was some off the field factor, they just didn't want to incorporate him into the offense. Maybe it was just Eddie Lacy, I don't know. Harris has great speed, power, catches the ball, runs ok behind his blockers. He's just a little short.

Anyway, you're the dude who has already anointed Janis as the next Jerry Rice/Randy Moss/Don Hutson. Let's get real, man. Let him earn it first.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Saw it reported that Janis is getting reps writh the ones due to Jordy. being sidelined.

Early In the process, but it shows Jeff Is going to get his chance to show Aaron he belongs on the field.

The battle for #4, #5, and probably #6 will be fun to watch this pre season.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (17h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (21h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (21h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.