Zero2Cool
8 years ago

A guy like Graham would've dominated BECAUSE of Nelson, Cobb, and Lacy...you think he would've been buried on the target totem...I don't. I think Graham would've been absolute lightning for us. I honestly do.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Who is the brilliant mastermind genius who drafted Nelson, Cobb, Lacy and Aaron Rodgers? 😂 🤣 😝 🇹🇹

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Who said Ted Thompson couldn't draft OFFENSIVE talent? Not me. He's very good on O and brutal on D... a little above average overall. You wanted this, you got it! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

You guys realize that Gronk is one of the most dominant offensive weapons in NFL history and you're calling some run of the mill TE "comparable"?

Yes, I love my Packers, too, but c'mon, man... Richard Rodgers is nothing like Gronk. He's nowhere near Finley and Finley was a long way from Gronk.

The O does have a chance to be 2011 special again. I completely agree but Richard Rodgers won't be looking like Gronkowski, this year, or any other.

Gronk dominates with who at WR for the Pats? Julian Edelman? Who is the feared RB of the New England Patriots? Richard Rodgers has it so much easier than Gronk ever will and will never be that type of player...EVER. It's embarrassing to read the comparison just because he plays for Green Bay.

More qualifications disguised as arguments.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

More qualifications disguised as arguments.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Call it whatever you want but comparing Richard Rodgers to Rob Gronkowski is like comparing Brandon Jackson to Barry Sanders.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

Call it whatever you want but comparing Richard Rodgers to Rob Gronkowski is like comparing Brandon Jackson to Barry Sanders.

Gronk had more receptions as a rookie, more TDs, more yards. However as you have stated, he has fewer weapons around him, so the offense is more like to focus on him. Therefore we look to average per reception, which for Gronk is 13 and RR 11. Pretty close. Longest, 23 for Gronk, RR 48. That's going from memory, could be wrong.

Maybe RR could be a better "big play" guy than Gronk.

In other news, Fred Davis is available.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Gronk had more receptions as a rookie, more TDs, more yards. However as you have stated, he has fewer weapons around him, so the offense is more like to focus on him. Therefore we look to average per reception, which for Gronk is 13 and RR 11. Pretty close. Longest, 23 for Gronk, RR 48. That's going from memory, could be wrong.

Maybe RR could be a better "big play" guy than Gronk.

In other news, Fred Davis is available.

I was hoping your post was more to bait me into responding than any real thing you believed but I was let down. What on earth are you doing comparing RR to Gronk? Honestly. There is NOBODY in the world outside of RR's family and friends and some homer Packers fans who think he is anything near Rob Gronkowski. Post that on some arbitrary team's forum like Cleveland and see if anyone there thinks Gronk and RR are comparable. It might literally be the most insane thing I've ever read here and that's a pretty high bar.

UserPostedImage

sschind
8 years ago

Yes, I believe Jimmy would have as good or better numbers in Green Bay. Do you think he's going to have better numbers in Seattle than he had in New Orleans?

Jimmy Graham is a star. There is little doubt Aaron makes his WR's look better than they are and I like both Jordy and Randall. Separation has never been our WR's long suit. Graham has size and leaping ability that makes him Gronk like. A guy like Graham would've dominated BECAUSE of Nelson, Cobb, and Lacy...you think he would've been buried on the target totem...I don't. I think Graham would've been absolute lightning for us. I honestly do.

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree on this one I guess. He was the #1 option in NO and he will be the #1 option in Seattle. He wouldn't be that in GB. I think his best numbers stat wise may be behind him because Seattle doesn't pass as much as NO did but there is no doubt he will be effective. There is also no doubt he would have been effective in GB. I just don't think it he would have been as effective and if, by some chance, his numbers were as good as they have been it would be at the expense of numbers from Nelson, Cobb and Lacy so its a zero game.

It's not that I wouldn't want Graham, I just think what we would have had to give up to get him or who we may have lost once we had him would have been too great. It also would have necessitated a change in offensive mentality (a shift from WR to TE as primary pass catchers) to get the most out of him. That's fine if you have WRs like the Seahawks do or even like the Saints did the last couple of years but when you have what the Packers have in Nelson and Cobb I don't know why you would want to take targets away from them.

I do agree with you on the Rodgers/Gronkowski comparison thing. Like I said I think the Packers COULD make Rodgers into a top 5 TE stat wise but it would certainly be at the expense of Nelson and Cobb and Adams and Lacy so I really don't want to see it happen. RR is not RG
greengold
8 years ago

I think Richard Rodgers is pretty similar to a guy like Gronk, no?

koolaid boy is talking about fantasy football stats, not NFL football. I don't think he can tell the difference.

Thanks. I had no idea that FF and NFL football had nothing to do with each other. I learn so much here.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

koolaid boy is talking about fantasy football stats, not NFL football. I don't think he can tell the difference.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Yeah, if Ted Thompson was offered Gronk straight up for RR he wouldn't make the deal as he wouldn't be getting enough in return.

UserPostedImage

all_about_da_packers
8 years ago
Some people are not really thinking about how our offense operates. We rely a lot on YAC. That has to be the starting point for any evaluation of our TE group.

Both RR and Quarless are, on their best day, thoroughly average TEs compared to the elite TEs in the NFL. That doesn't mean they are ill suited for us, or a "weak link" on offense. They need to be fast enough to get up the seam, and elusive enough to get YAC.

RR, frankly, was very disappointing last year. His college numbers suggested he would be a far better receiver; his YAC in college were amazing! For at least the first year, RR's college ability didn't translate. He was a subpar blocker. When the Packers TE coach called out RR needing to improve his "foot speed", that should tell you something (negative) about RR's ability to beat defenders up the seam. I sincerely hope we see RR resemble more of his college self; but, in college he was like 20 pounds lighter than the Packers play their TEs, so that may just be wishful thinking.

Quarless is a good #2 option, but isn't going to get you much in terms of YAC or consistently beating players up the seam. Again, doesn't give the Packers what they exactly need.

So, is our TE group our O's weakest link? Yeah, for two reasons: 1) the quality of other position players on our O is great; and 2) the TEs themselves don't exactly excel at what our offense needs (and they were subpar blockers at times last year, too).

That said, Aaron Rodgers as your QB is a huge advantage, as is having Lacy consistently getting 4+ YPC to require safties to commit at the LOS. We can still win with this TE group, and as last year showed win big. However, unless RR is a revelation, this TE group can definitely stand to be improved.

PS - Would trade RR for Gronk in a heartbeat, then spend the rest of the day laughing / boasting that Belichick got taken to the cleaners by Ted. None of our TEs have shown anything more than being average at this level.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (8h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (12h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (12h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (13h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.