earthquake
8 years ago
Ted Thompson's performance is often talked about on this forum, however, his overall performance is usually described with relatively vague sentiments like stellar, exceptional, good, great, above average, etc. Without comparing him directly to his peers, these descriptions mean very different things to each person.

So, what I want to know is, where do you rate Ted Thompson against his peers? If there was a GM draft tomorrow, what pick would Ted Thompson be taken with?

I would love to see full rankings of all 32 current GMs, but realize that few will have the time or put that much effort into grading each team's GM, I certainly fall in that category, in that case, please simply list the spot you feel Ted Thompson deserves, and of course the most important bit, each GM you rank ahead of him. The ranking should be based on overall front office performance, meaning scouting, draft, UDFAs, FAs, contracts, trades, etc.

I'll start:

1. Bill Belichick
2. Ozzie Newsome
3. Ted Thompson
4. John Schneider
blank
greengold
8 years ago
Definitely top 5. Somebody says 2-5 I wouldn't argue.

One guy says he is merely average. He has been asked over and over to list the 10-15 GMs who are supposedly doing a better job. Of course he cannot.

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
I say top 3, after this year he will be rated THE BEST in the league.
Why?

Because I say so!
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

Anyone Who says different doesn't know what the hell they are talking about!
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
But am looking forward for the next 10 pages telling us all, one more time, why Ted Thompson isn't the man for Green Bay.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago
So, you would grade him on a curve? You do realize there are other ways to grade besides a curve?

The criteria that is ALWAYS cited is our W-L record. ALWAYS. That is the singular validation of why he's a great GM. Any team in the NFL with Aaron Rodgers is going to win lots of games...they are also going to win a division that features such top notch competition as the Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears. Over the last few seasons every single team in our division has fired it's HC. Why? To catch the Packers? No. The other 3 teams fired their coaches because their teams SUCK. What kind of accomplishment is it to win the NFCN? Why is that a validation? It is a known fact the others in the division have fired coaches AND GM's because their teams simply were not good and many foolish decisions were made IE: Giving Jay Cutler a huge contract.

There is no question against his peers in our division over the last few years he's been dynamite against what is basically D3 schools so to speak. Now, the Lions are on a better path as are the Vikings with Zimmer and the Bears with Pace and Fox. We shall see how amazing our GM is. Seeing that you judge based off the fact we win the North all the time, how will you feel if we start failing to win it now that the other teams have competent people in place?

What accomplishment is it to continually win our division and advance to the show...ONCE? I refuse to define Ted Thompson in such basic vanilla terms.

He is not a great drafter, as he hasn't built a D in 10 years and our ST's are almost always in the bottom 3rd of the NFL. What Ted Thompson has done is caught lightning in a bottle ONCE with Aaron Rodgers and rode it to division titles which has defined him to many. You have to look at the entirety of what he's done and when you do that, it is not that impressive. As I have continually stated here and it's NEVER refuted is he is very good at drafting offense and terrible drafting defense. How is he by that measure seeing we DRAFT and DEVELOP one of the Top 5 in the NFL? 2/3rds of what makes up a football team has been brutal for years but because he had a QB fall to him he's deified as one of the great GM's? That's just a joke. What has he done for our ENTIRE team offense, defense and ST's?

If you think he's one of the best, then I would hate to see one of the worst. I can't and won't grade him on a curve because quite frankly I haven't analyzed and studied the blueprint and history of many of the other teams. I have followed him and he rarely uses FA, overpays his own which is worse than using FA, and can't build a legit D with a 1st ballot HOF directing his offense. That is not top notch performance.

He is a C+/B- type of GM. I grade him highly for his finds in the UDFA market and at skill positions and lowly for his defensive picks and moves over the years. I downgrade him for overpaying his own. AJ Hawk's contract was a millstone for years forcing us to play a slug in the middle for too many seasons. Morgan Burnett has been nothing. Clay isn't worth his money. Tramon wasn't worth his last season...Shields was a pretty big overpay but necessitated by his failures as a GM but you don't see that. He HAD TO overpay Shields because he's done such a poor job defensively he couldn't let one of our few goods get away.

The grades that have been trotted out with Ozzie and Belichick are just regurgitations of things heard like a cliche like defense wins championships...fallacies perpetrated by the media that the fan just eats up and believes as gospel. I look at what Rick Spielman is doing in Minnesota and think they're doing a tremendous job over there. That D is being built quickly. What they've accomplished on D in two seasons is a lot more than we have in 5.

As you continually trumpet TT, I will make a prediction for you...I will bet in 3 years your tune has completely 180'd on him. I'll come here and we'll talk about it right or wrong.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

So, you would grade him on a curve?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Yes, just against the other 31 NFL GMs. Not against God or Mother Theresa or anyone else. Just among the 32.

blah blah blah... I will bet in 3 years your tune has completely 180'd on him. I'll come here and we'll talk about it right or wrong.

See you in 3 years. Goodbye.
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Come back in 3 years andtslk about it!

] πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Yes, just against the other 31 NFL GMs. Not against Mother Theresa or the rest of the human race. Just among the 32.
See you in 3 years. Goodbye.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

If you can't even see Ted Thompson clearly how in the world can you see clearly enough to rate a GM of any other team? Just post things you've heard from media outlets or the consensus.

Tell me also how in college football Alabama might be good this upcoming year, too, while you're at it.

The people responding and asking me to grade don't have a clue about any other GM and they're grading them? It is an amazing thing to watch. What is the grading criteria? What? I see what was listed but clearly that wasn't followed it was just to the wins and losses. The teams that are most competitive MUST have the best GM's? It is simply out of the realm of possibility that a GM of a winning team might be holding back the franchise? It's just impossible?

Show me your thinking...show me. Why is Ted Thompson so great and worthy of all this praise? What is it? Make sure you grade his drafts and look at his defensive selections over his 10 years. Paint the picture stroke by stroke...don't just look at it and tell me it had to be done by a master artist.

He's not that good.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

He's not that good.

Thanks for your opinion. See you in 3 years.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Thanks for your opinion. See you in 3 years.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Yeah, because as shocking as it is to you, I'm not very interested in talking about him. It's tiring reading the same unfounded garbage about how great he is.

Yup...in 3 years, I'll be back to this topic.

UserPostedImage

earthquake
8 years ago
Uffda, I'm curious to hear how you think Ted Thompson ranks in terms of other GMs. Which would you rather have in charge of the packers? This should be a straight forward question. I am not trying to troll you or anything like that, I am genuinely interested.

If you're not happy with the criteria others have used to make their selections, or the resulting choices, explain what you think would be the best way to rank them, and of course, how they stack up under your criteria.

I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert at grading GMs (why I only listed 4 instead of all 32), and my selections very well may be flawed, and likely are influenced by reading about them from other sources. Still, I think hearing out a variety of opinions on the matter would be compelling and insightful.
blank