sschind
8 years ago

I understand what you're saying, but Cobb and Jordy each matched up very favorably statistically on their own. Stats dont tell all, and I'm not saying i feel either is more talented than Dez, but it still raises the question though, is it worth paying that money if you could get double the production for the same price?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

We are on the same page.

musccy
8 years ago

Why I want Dez is because I wanted him so badly that night and we ended up with Bryan freaking Bulaga. I said that night that he would be nothing but a decent RT at the NFL level and would never be the LT they drafted him to be in the 1st round. You'll have to take my word but I got that one dead right.

Dez does have tons of character issues. He may have had a better time in Green Bay than he did down here in Dallas.

It's impossible to say what would've happened had we taken Dez back then. Hard for you to say that it seems dumb I want Dez now given we ended up with Cobb.

Jordy and Dez. Think about that. Unreal. What a pair they would be. You could still have Davante and Janis and all the others if you had Jordy and Dez. Heck, you could have Cobb, too. You probably would've let RC18 walk and retained Dez but who really knows.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Jordy and Dez could have been very good. Sure, I don't dispute that could have happened. Dez also could have pulled an Elway/Eli, or not resigned with the Packers this year, or have gone off the deep end. Grass could have been greener or browner, we don't know.

As things have evolved, the Packers have a competent, some would argue good, right tackle along with one of the deepest WR groups in football. That's my ultimate point. Did the sequence of events from selecting Bulaga over Dez ever hinder this team? I'd say absolutely not. High defensive picks not panning out, paying Jones and Hawk, banking on Seneca Wallace as a back up - these are things we can point to and say, yes, this has hurt (or been less successful for) the Packers. Having 2 PBers not be elite enough isn't the limiting factor, IMO.

sschind
8 years ago

Why I want Dez is because I wanted him so badly that night and we ended up with Bryan freaking Bulaga. I said that night that he would be nothing but a decent RT at the NFL level and would never be the LT they drafted him to be in the 1st round. You'll have to take my word but I got that one dead right.

Dez does have tons of character issues. He may have had a better time in Green Bay than he did down here in Dallas.

It's impossible to say what would've happened had we taken Dez back then. Hard for you to say that it seems dumb I want Dez now given we ended up with Cobb.

Jordy and Dez. Think about that. Unreal. What a pair they would be. You could still have Davante and Janis and all the others if you had Jordy and Dez. Heck, you could have Cobb, too. You probably would've let RC18 walk and retained Dez but who really knows.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I can understand your feelings that night as I am sure many people shared it. The thing is I think you have to look at the present and look forward from this point in time. You can always ask "what if" What if we would have drafted Bryant instead of Bulaga? What if we wouldn't have drafted Rodgers (Aaron not Richard)? What if we would have traded for Lynch? etc. etc. It can be fun to speculate but that is all it will ever be pure speculation. We might have 2 more SB trophies or we might not have any. The thing I do know is that we are sitting pretty damned good as a team right now and things look pretty good for the future. That is because of the decisions that were made, not decisions that could have been made. Changing 1 draft pick or free agent 3 or 4 years ago could have set a whole different chain of events in motion and we might be sitting where the Bears are right now (I doubt it but we might be) Granted that is a what if game as well which is why I don't think you can judge the current team based on players we didn't bring in in the past. Now if you want to argue we really screwed up by drafting this guy or that guy who failed miserably that is a different story because we know how they worked out for us but even then we are where we are because of the decisions that were made and even bad decisions are decisions.

I don't think you can look at the past and let it rule your present or your future. You can let it be a guide such as Ted not going for the elite talent at WR but it doesn't mean that next season when we are sitting with the 32nd pick and an elite WR is still sitting there for whatever reason we should automatically say no just because in the past we have done pretty good by looking for next tier talent. In that I agree with you. Even though WR would seem to be a lesser need you have to consider every player available and if you don't take the BPA you have to go with the guy who you think will help your team the most.

If we had drafted Bryant it is possible we would be looking at a very different team today. I don't fault you for looking at it and saying we could be that much better but likewise I can't fault others for looking at it and thinking we have it pretty damned good right now. It's the whole devil you know vs the one you don't thing.

Note I only mention Bryant because he is the one who is brought up. I realize you are not fixating on him specifically as much as his talent.

EDIT: Sorry musccy I must have been typing as you were making essentially the same post
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (15h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (16h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (19h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.