nerdmann
8 years ago
I've always bitched about how Mike's teams only show up for 30 minutes and are constantly on the verge of going into a "lull." And there's truth to that.

However this current situation just seems as if MULTIPLE players suddenly went into a very uncharacteristic lull AT THE SAME TIME.

Pardon my paranoia, but is that strange? You've got Aaron, who granted does have stat whoring tendencies, but now he's suddenly clenching with fear with the game on the line? THAT is uncharacteristic. Like the rest of the offense, he often shows up emotionless and shit's himself for a quarter or two, but it's never for 7 consecutive quarters and it's never in a clutch situation like that. Aaron's the type of guy who has ice in his veins, and that goes back to his college career.

Then there's Eddie Lacy. He hasn't been right either. Shying away from contact? EDDIE LACY? There's something strange going on here.

Then you've got this Oline. Granted the Ts are in question. They're the weak spots and both seem to have sore knees this year. But the interior? Those guys are studs. Yet SUDDENLY, at the same time Aaron and Eddie are suddenly uncharacteristically timid, these guys start playing all confused, missing blocking assignments, giving up sacks.

I mean yeah. Aaron holds the ball for 8 seconds. But that never caused them to stand up and let one guy go right past them while they just block someone else. Something's going wrong, and I don't know what it is.

Did Mike make some radical changes, causing them to all start thinking too much and over analyzing on the field? Are they being doped with estrogen?

I just find it very odd that all these things with all these different players would start to happen simultaneously. I won't even get into the defense going from domination/sack leading to 500 yards per game, ALSO at the exact same time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
I think our best defense right now would be an improved offense. That is what I am looking for on Sunday.

When Kuhn missed a blocking assignment on this past Sunday, I pretty much threw up my hands and said there has to be something going on in the collective noggin of this offense. They need to get their swagger back.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Remember when I laid out that Rodgers "great" performances were aided by passes not traveling more than 9 yards in the air?

Check this out on passes over 20 yards.
Aaron Rodgers is 10 of 25 for 317 yards with 2 TD's
Blake Bortles is 26 of 62 for 835 yards and 6 TD's

These are just statistics  so they mean nothing.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
It's NOT exactly "sudden", and it's may not even be a "turnaround".

As for the latter, we got beat by two teams playing inspired football at their own places, and we damn near came back and won the second one. I'd still bet on the Packers in a replay of either game.

As for the former, we have some chronic problems. Our O Line has been awful all through the 6-0. Our tackles indeed are crap, but our interior three are anything but studs either. Aaron Rodgers has routinely had to escape and run for his life. The Broncos successfully hemmed him in and collapsed the pocket, plus he had an uncharacteristically off-target day. Our Receivers are made great by our QB - pure and simple. Our RBs can't run without at least some daylight provided by the horrible O Line. Lacy isn't much good for any more than running into their butts; Starks at least can bounce out or reverse his field. Our D can't compete straight up; We survive on Capers' compensation, and occasionally that gets us bit in the ass. The more the other team has the ball, and the more the opponent is not playing from behind, the more bad things happen.

All that being said, though, the Packers can and should beat pretty much anybody just about any time - mainly thanks to Aaron Rodgers and that Capers compensation.

I'm still thinking 14-2 and a Super Bowl.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
yooperfan
8 years ago

As for the latter, we got beat by two teams playing inspired football at their own places, and we damn near came back and won the second one. I'd still bet on the Packers in a replay of either game.

As for the former, we have some chronic problems. Our O Line has been awful all through the 6-0. Our tackles indeed are crap, but our interior three are anything but studs either. Aaron Rodgers has routinely had to escape and run for his life. The Broncos successfully hemmed him in and collapsed the pocket, plus he had an uncharacteristically off-target day. Our Receivers are made great by our QB - pure and simple. Our RBs can't run without at least some daylight provided by the horrible O Line. Lacy isn't much good for any more than running into their butts; Starks at least can bounce out or reverse his field. Our D can't compete straight up; We survive on Capers' compensation, and occasionally that gets us bit in the ass. The more the other team has the ball, and the more the opponent is not playing from behind, the more bad things happen.

All that being said, though, the Packers can and should beat pretty much anybody just about any time - mainly thanks to Aaron Rodgers and that Capers compensation.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I pretty much agree with everything you said with the exception of the record.
I'm sticking to 12-4.
However, IMHO there are coaching issues that need to be resolved regarding game planning and scheme.
Hopefully Mike isn't too stubborn to work through the issues affecting what ever the hell is going on out there.

nerdmann
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Aaron LIKES to get out of the pocket. Anyway that happens when you hold the ball for 8 seconds.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Aaron LIKES to get out of the pocket. Anyway that happens when you hold the ball for 8 seconds.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He does? Okay, so let us say he does. Then maybe he should get his ass over the line of scrimmage when he sees all of his targets covered and pickup some yardage instead of dancing around like a freaking spider on a hot plate!

No Excuses!
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Remember when I laid out that Rodgers "great" performances were aided by passes not traveling more than 9 yards in the air?

Check this out on passes over 20 yards.
Aaron Rodgers is 10 of 25 for 317 yards with 2 TD's
Blake Bortles is 26 of 62 for 835 yards and 6 TD's

These are just statistics  so they mean nothing.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not disagreeing with the stats, but if you look over the years except when he had Moss and now some with Gronk, Brady has pretty much thrived off short passes and dump offs also...

Short passes to setup deep passes has worked in this league longer than any of us have been alive. Montana, Young, Farve all thrived at that concept. When Rodgers first took over, he also thrived off that concept. Over the years though, this offense has morphed away from that, into Deep routes and Busted plays. But without Jordy, they lost that big play threat and had to live on short passes and not even creative ones, mainly bubble screens and short back shoulder and stops on the outside.

The play calling is making it very easy for defenses to cover. Only worry about the outside routes for 10 yards than have all defenders between 10-25 yards deep.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Not disagreeing with the stats, but if you look over the years except when he had Moss and now some with Gronk, Brady has pretty much thrived off short passes and dump offs also...

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I have Tom Brady on my fantasy team so I've watched him as often as I can hoping for TD's 😂 and in doing so I have noticed more times than not on those short passes he is leading his target away from coverage so they can get the yards after catch. Conversely, while watching Aaron Rodgers I do not see this from him this season. In fact, more times than I care to count I've watched his target slow their stride or reach the opposite direction they are running to make the catch OR to make a play on the ball.

Every snap I internally count to three and if the ball isn't out by them, it's not often a positive outcome. And when the ball is out by then, it's almost always a completable (is that a word?) pass.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I have Tom Brady on my fantasy team so I've watched him as often as I can hoping for TD's 😂 and in doing so I have noticed more times than not on those short passes he is leading his target away from coverage so they can get the yards after catch. Conversely, while watching Aaron Rodgers I do not see this from him this season. In fact, more times than I care to count I've watched his target slow their stride or reach the opposite direction they are running to make the catch OR to make a play on the ball.

Every snap I internally count to three and if the ball isn't out by them, it's not often a positive outcome. And when the ball is out by then, it's almost always a completable (is that a word?) pass.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

No agreement here. And I believe this has been caused by how much over the last couple years, they have come to depend on busted plays and back shoulder stop routes. They don't really seem run or hit on any timing plays anymore. Back when who was it, Ruevell Martin was our 5th, the YAC this team had from short slants and in routes and drags across the middle was "legendary" at the time. Much of last year and this year, YAC comes from Bubble screens.

Teams have figured out, press the WR and blitz keeping Rodgers contained and you neuter this offense. They really need to go back to a playbook from 5 years ago.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!