warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
In many of the discussions here I read about the negative run plays and how frustrating that is and where the blame needs to go.

It is important to understand that this system is a little different than a straight up and more conventional blocking scheme where the RB knows which gap he is headed to before the snap.

In that scenario the RB goes full blast from the snap to the hole. Hopefully the Linemen have created a crease or gap between the DLinemen and there's room to run.

In the case of the ZBS the RB is asked to read and react to a crease and often requires a cutback to the crease caused by cutting the DL on the backside of the play.

This system WILL result in more negative plays than other systems because of the slight delay of the RB in the backfield BUT will also reward a team with more upside for bigger gains when the RB does find that crease.

Now I believe as the season goes on and DL are slowed by injury or tired legs and the footing gets tougher with colder weather there is a definate advantage with this system. In otherwords I believe it's more than coincidence Grant had a big second half last year.

Yes, it's frustrating to see Grant get caught from behind before he gets started but there will be times the defense calls for the DL to crash down and it's very difficult then to put your body in front of them and get those backside guys on the ground.

It is a risk to delay the back from getting up a head of steam off his first step and probably will result in more negative plays than we like to see but the reward for using the speed of these defensive players against them can definately pay off.

I guess what I am trying to say is its not always that this "O" lineman can't block or Grant can't run. There's a lot more than that going on out there.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
15 years ago

I guess what I am trying to say is its not always that this "O" lineman can't block or Grant can't run. There's a lot more than that going on out there.

"warhawk" wrote:

Want my honest opinion.. that is the second most disappointing thing about our running game.. the communication and mental reads. At times, it seems that the reads are a beat slow. Example was Wells getting hammered back by Albert in I believe the third.. it was either poor design or a missed assignment by the left guard on a double.. Wells setup like he was expecting double team.. instead, he lost leverage and got driven back. Wells straight up on a guy with that talent.. that is expected.. a guy using poor leverage and positioning makes the offense even worse if it wasn't a missed assignment.. but regardless.. Haynesworth lined up on Wells run side shoulder.. there should have been some recognition that he was out of position to make that block solo or he needed to "cut" him down.. poor line adjustments.

I am glad we are not a "chop" block type of ZBS team.. but at times.. the scheme without it is strategically poor.. that play was a prime example..

The most disappointing aspect of the run game is the poor technique used far to often along the line.. mostly inside but some on the edges as well.. but I have beaten that horse to death..

Lack of growth and consistency in year 3 of this same group of players... regardless of the system that is sad.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Want my honest opinion.. that is the second most disappointing things about our running game.. the communication and mental reads. At times, it seems that the reads are a beat slow. Example was Wells getting hammered back by Albert in I believe the third.. it was either poor technique or a missed assignment by the left guard on a double.. Wells setup like he was expecting double team.. instead, he lost leverage and got driven back. Wells straight up on a guy with that talent.. that is expected.. a guy using poor leverage and positioning makes the offense even worse if it wasn't a missed assignment.. but regardless.. Haynesworth lined up on Wells run side shoulder.. there should have been some recognition that he was out of position to make that block solo.. poor line adjustments.

The most disappointing aspect of the run game is the poor technique used far to often along the line.. mostly inside but some on the edges as well.. but I have beaten that horse to death..

Lack of growth and consistency in year 3 of this same group of players... regardless of the system that is sad.

"warhawk" wrote:

I definitely prefer a simpler solution than fancy-schmantzy ZBS, cross-block technique, cut blocks, etc. I want interior linemen that knock people square on their ass. That means big and mean. Many say "well it will take two years to transition to the more traditional system" I say, so what? Worst case scenario- we suck at it as bad as we suck at our ZBS hybrid system that we run now. Whenever the draft gurus start talking about a guy who is a "good fit for the ZBS", what they are saying is he is too light for my tastes. I want some of those good corn-fed linemen again. If the d-lineman is on his keester, there is no real need for ensuring the "chip" or whatever.
Since69
15 years ago

I definitely prefer a simpler solution than fancy-schmantzy ZBS, cross-block technique, cut blocks, etc. I want interior linemen that knock people square on their ass. That means big and mean. Many say "well it will take two years to transition to the more traditional system" I say, so what? Worst case scenario- we suck at it as bad as we suck at our ZBS hybrid system that we run now. Whenever the draft gurus start talking about a guy who is a "good fit for the ZBS", what they are saying is he is too light for my tastes. I want some of those good corn-fed linemen again. If the d-lineman is on his keester, there is no real need for ensuring the "chip" or whatever.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I'm with you. What good are lighter, more athletic offensive linemen if they're not getting the job done? How much more athletic can they be when we can't even run a decent screen? I would much, much prefer a return to the road-grader offensive line we had before. And that "two years" nonsense is just that - nonsense. What we do now isn't so far removed that we couldn't make the old way work by the end of the season. And until then - like you said - what's the downside? Our running game will look bad? What's it look like now?

And what really gets me is the fact that we're still drafting maulers! Spitz, Sitton, Giacomini, even Colledge. These are guys who were known in college for being big, strong and nasty. ("Good finisher" is the draft guru's codeword for nasty, BTW.) I think the scheme we use now is just too... I dunno... complicated, maybe. I know there's more to the old way than just cutting them loose and telling them to pick a guy and knock him on his ass, but it seems to me that that's what they'd be best suited for.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
Good comments and they are amplified because we play in a cold climate on grass.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
One of the reasons the Giants kicked us around in the NFC Championship game.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
gbpfan
15 years ago
you have some good points i think bigger guys with guts hanging over their belts though would tier alot quicker what they need to do is when the d-line is in your face keep pushing grant needs to step back and see where there is a gap not just run where the guys are shoving look at other r.b that do that they seem to get better yardage grant is getting better though
IronMan
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

dfosterf
15 years ago
I don't want to start another thread, but would just like to point out it would be really nice if we also had the capacity to STOP a running game against any team that actually has one.

...bad mood I guess.
IronMan
15 years ago

I don't want to start another thread, but would just like to point out it would be really nice if we also had the capacity to STOP a running game against any team that actually has one.

...bad mood I guess.

"dfosterf" wrote:

We CAN stop the run.
read this 
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (16h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.