wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

While the Green Bay Packers have made their share of missteps when drafting offensive players, some of their flubs on the other side of the ball were legendary in that they were so difficult to comprehend. Last week we took a look at the worst offensive draft picks by the Packers and today we are

Continue Reading @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

Time to throw the failures on the other side of the ball. There are so many on the DL just in the past 10 years. Bustin Harrell is one of the biggest. But TBuck gets the nod as #1 since he was the highest draft pick.
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

I still don't like calling players that had career changing injuries early on bust... because it's unclear what would of happen without the injuries.

But looking over this list, it's is kind of sad of all the DL that have busted in GB, they could of had some great DLs with all the draft picks used on them, but they seem to bust at a very high rate in GB and they didn't even mention the one that bothers me the most... 2014, late 3rd rounder DT Khyri Thornton, Southern Mississippi... he look mentally beat before the snap even happened and later basically admitted as much, saying guys in the NFL are so much bigger/stronger that it got to him mentally. I think he got either depressed or scared or both. But it's like c'mon man... it's football. Look at Daniels, even the little dogs can hang if they're willing to scrap enough...

And I forgot about 3rd rounder Punter B.J. Sander... I think he has to be in bust list, simply because he's a 3rd round punter... who barely found the field. Pass rushers Shaun Phillips and Jared Allen were taken after him, not the mention that three time Pro-Bowl and First-team All-Pro P Andy Lee was picked in the 6th round and is still kicking today.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Time to throw the failures on the other side of the ball. There are so many on the DL just in the past 10 years. Bustin Harrell is one of the biggest. But TBuck gets the nod as #1 since he was the highest draft pick.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Tbuck had a great career. He was just a little on the short side. He played what, 2-3 seasons here? I don't regard him as a bust at all.

Bruce Clark should be the biggest. Then maybe Harrell, although there again, that's an injury situation. Mark D'Onofrio is probly on the list, second rounder. Tore his hammy back in '92 or so.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
8 years ago

Tbuck had a great career. He was just a little on the short side. He played what, 2-3 seasons here? I don't regard him as a bust at all.

Bruce Clark should be the biggest. Then maybe Harrell, although there again, that's an injury situation. Mark D'Onofrio is probly on the list, second rounder. Tore his hammy back in '92 or so.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I remember how much everyone hated Tbuck I was always surprised he was still in the league and catching all those interceptions. I think he had a few big years in Miami.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I remember how much everyone hated Tbuck I was always surprised he was still in the league and catching all those interceptions. I think he had a few big years in Miami.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Terrell Buckley's problem was one his mouth (he said he would break the interception record his rookie year) and he couldn't field a punt if you spotted him stickum gloves, lol. The guy played I think 13 seasons and had 50 interceptions. He burned the Packers bridge before even wearing a jersey, but he was far from being a bust.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
WORTHY: Tore up his knee. Even this article admits he was a 4-3 guy who specialized in getting a jump off the ball on passing downs, but the Packers were using him as a run stuffer and block eater. That's not on him. But yeah, he started his whole rookie year until he tore up his knee.

KENNY PEDERSON: This dude was a third rounder. Sherman was always reaching for guys to fill needs, mainly on the Dline. Ever since he overpaid for Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt, he was screwed and scrambling from behind to find ANYONE who could play. Thankfully that one year Grady Jackson fell from the sky after he was released (was it from the Raiders?) for being too damn fat. Remember, Ted's first move was to sign Pickett.

HARRELL: I'm willing to grant Harrell as a bust, although there again, INJURY. I'm willing to go along with the "bust" label, primarily because Ted knew about the injury label ahead of time. Of course, this makes it more of a gamble than a true "bust."

ABDUL HODGE: Again, tore up his knee. INJURY.

TORRANCE MARSHALL: This guy had all the skills, but was dumber than a post. Word is, he got thru college by the guys telling him where to stand on every play. Still, these are all 3rd rounders. That's pretty low in the draft to be considered a "bust." This article is reaching.

JAMAL "TOO SMALL" REYNOLDS: A true bust. I forget what happened here. The guys Wolf was going for all got tabbed, and Wolf couldn't trade back. Something like that. Reynolds looked the part, but as Larry McCarron said, he wasn't "farmer strong." Another one of those undersized Dlineman that Sherman cultivated.

Ron Wolf traded Matt Hasselbeck and the 17th pick in the first round for the right to draft Reynolds.

The Seahawks used that 17th pick on Steve Hutchinson who was a five-time first team All Pro. Ron Wolf partially saved face on this pick with the emergence of his 2000 fifth-round pick Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, who soon took over as his featured pass rusher.

So I guess Wolf traded up for Reynolds. 🤣 Wolf was great in the draft, but his first rounders were hit or miss.

MARK D'ONOFRIO: Injury. I knew they'd include him. This dude could absolutely get it done. Tore his hammy. Tried to come back, wasn't the same.

AHMAD CARROLL: A true bust. They had him wearing boxing gloves in practice, so he couldn't grab onto WRs. Had the skill set, just couldn't play. He was drafted to try to cover Randy Moss. Again, Sherman's philosophy was drafting for need. And reaching to do so.

PAT LEE: I'll agree this guy was a bust. I think they drafted him as a return guy though. Carlos Rodgers flamed out in that regard too, but he was only like a 5th. Lee did have some injuries too, let's not forget.

MARQUES ANDERSON: Barely even remember this guy. Rouse should be on this list too.

ANTUAN EDWARDS: This guy played a few years. He wasn't that great, but I think calling him a bust is a bit much. He was drafted with Ahmad Carroll and Fred Vinson iirc. Vinson was traded to Seattle for Ahman Green. Uncle Mike ditched Green, because of the fumbling.

BJ SANDER: This dude was a true bust. Again, Sherman drafting for need. I'll never forget when they kept Bidwell and put Sander on the inactive list, so as not to cut him. Sander was quoted as saying he aspired to be the "starting punter" for the Green Bay Packers. 😂
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

HARRELL: I'm willing to grant Harrell as a bust, although there again, INJURY. I'm willing to go along with the "bust" label, primarily because Ted knew about the injury label ahead of time. Of course, this makes it more of a gamble than a true "bust."

My problem with Harrell and the injury label, is that while he was often injured in college, they were often rather minor and one year and should be all healed up things. And the injury that took him out, was a HUGE back injury which happened while attempting to lift too much while in the Packers weight room...

So while it seems everyone list Harrell as a bust, I list that back injury as the real reason and it wasn't the same as his pre-draft history of injuries which were all minor ones. So I put that more on the Packers post draft, than the predraft stuff. Also rumor had it that lead to the trainers firing because the review of what happened felt like the trainers fault...

JAMAL "TOO SMALL" REYNOLDS: A true bust. I forget what happened here. The guys Wolf was going for all got tabbed, and Wolf couldn't trade back. Something like that. Reynolds looked the part, but as Larry McCarron said, he wasn't "farmer strong." Another one of those undersized Dlineman that Sherman cultivated.

Yeah I could be completely wrong, but I put the 2001 draft on Sherman... while technically Ron Wolf was still the GM, it later came out that his last year was basically all about mentoring and training Sherman, and giving Sherman the reins behind closed doors, so protect Sherman from all the outside pressures that came with it.

And all of Wolf's other drafts had at least 7 picks (normally more), while only one of Sherman's drafts had 7 picks, and 2001 draft had only 6 picks, so I think Sherman might of been in charge...

And Ted Thompson and Seahawks really got the Packers on the trade for Hasselbeck, as the Packers traded forward and got Reynolds, and the Seahawks traded back and got Steve Hutchinson

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

My problem with Harrell and the injury label, is that while he was often injured in college, they were often rather minor and one year and should be all healed up things. And the injury that took him out, was a HUGE back injury which happened while attempting to lift too much while in the Packers weight room...

So while it seems everyone list Harrell as a bust, I list that back injury as the real reason and it wasn't the same as his pre-draft history of injuries which were all minor ones. So I put that more on the Packers post draft, than the predraft stuff. Also rumor had it that lead to the trainers firing because the review of what happened felt like the trainers fault...

Yeah I could be completely wrong, but I put the 2001 draft on Sherman... while technically Ron Wolf was still the GM, it later came out that his last year was basically all about mentoring and training Sherman, and giving Sherman the reins behind closed doors, so protect Sherman from all the outside pressures that came with it.

And all of Wolf's other drafts had at least 7 picks (normally more), while only one of Sherman's drafts had 7 picks, and 2001 draft had only 6 picks, so I think Sherman might of been in charge...

And Ted Thompson and Seahawks really got the Packers on the trade for Hasselbeck, as the Packers traded forward and got Reynolds, and the Seahawks traded back and got Steve Hutchinson

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah I remember that about Harrell's back injury. AGAIN, that training staff, man. Leaves much to be desired.

That may be true what you say about Reynolds. I just don't recall. I know that Sherman requested Ron to draft Ferguson over Chris Chambers. Was that the same year? If so, it does sound like Sherman was the one actually calling the shots.

nerdmann
8 years ago
Remember that game Ferguson got clotheslined real bad over the middle? Always thought that might have rattled him a little bit.
beast
8 years ago

Yeah I remember that about Harrell's back injury. AGAIN, that training staff, man. Leaves much to be desired.

That may be true what you say about Reynolds. I just don't recall. I know that Sherman requested Ron to draft Ferguson over Chris Chambers. Was that the same year? If so, it does sound like Sherman was the one actually calling the shots.

Yep, DE Jamal Reynolds, WR Robert Ferguson, SS Bhawoh Jue, LB Torrance Marshall, G Bill Ferrario and TE David Martin were all part of Wolf's last official draft, which I question if Sherman might of been calling the shots then, for reasons stated above. Wolf drafts normally had more than 7 picks, and Sherman's drafts normally had less than 7 picks, and this 2001 draft (Wolf's last year) had less than 7 and Wolf said something about showing Sherman the ropes and letting him take over and get his first draft taste without the outside pressures of people knowing you got more power.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (3h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (9h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (11h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (11h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (13h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (13h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (13h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (14h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (14h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.