wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Let's face the facts.
The NFL draft is all guess work.
Look at how many 1st round picks don't make it and how many late rounders do.
Look at how late Tom Brady was picked.
Hind sight is 20/20.
Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, and you could go on and on at how many hits and misses there have been for ALL teams.
If you like a GM, you will remember the hits. If you dislike him, you will remember the misses.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Cheesey you forget that we have TeddyT. He is miles above those other GMS that draft failures.
UserPostedImage
luigis
7 years ago
Ted had plenty of the so called "failures" but that's how the draft works.
If look at all the successes and failures Ted is really above average, some teams could have drafted randomly and got better results, some teams even seemed to be drafting to get worst. Even the "very good" reams had a lot of failures in their drafts.

I'd say Ted is in the top 10 of the league when drafting. Probably top 5.
Luis
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

Ted had plenty of the so called "failures" but that's how the draft works.
If look at all the successes and failures Ted is really above average, some teams could have drafted randomly and got better results, some teams even seemed to be drafting to get worst. Even the "very good" reams had a lot of failures in their drafts.

I'd say Ted is in the top 10 of the league when drafting. Probably top 5.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Yes he is. But then since he doesn't dip very deep into the FA pool, he wouldn't still be in the league if he wasn't.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

Why would a GM ever draft an already injured player like Bustin Harrell?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

After having a day to think about it I have no problem taking an injured player. In the 4th round. Not with the 16th overall pick.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
7 years ago

Yes he is. But then since he doesn't dip very deep into the FA pool, he wouldn't still be in the league if he wasn't.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, Ted Thompson is a very good GM, but he could undoubtedly be better. I think more signings like Ryan Pickett/Charles Woodson/Julius Peppers/Jared Cook type of signings that don't impact compensatory selections would push him up a notch, but he's very conservative in that area. Fill a few holes with a low risk, high reward players and stick to BPA in the draft.
Cheesey
7 years ago

This is EXACTLY how I feel as well.
If he did get some FA's, we may have won a couple more super bowls.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I would take Todd Gurley II at 16 in the first round who was more damaged at the time of the draft than Justin Harrell was. Harrell wasn't even injured coming into camp, he was out of shape and overweight. He tried overcompensating and that's how he got hurt and ultimately started the waterfall of injuries that took him out of the NFL.

There were teams behind the Packers who were actually going to take Harrell if he fell to them. That being said, the team that publicly said they were going to take Harrell is also the same team that took Tim Tebow in the 1st round few years later. 😁

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

I would take Todd Gurley II at 16 in the first round who was more damaged at the time of the draft than Justin Harrell was. Harrell wasn't even injured coming into camp, he was out of shape and overweight. He tried overcompensating and that's how he got hurt and ultimately started the waterfall of injuries that took him out of the NFL.

There were teams behind the Packers who were actually going to take Harrell if he fell to them. That being said, the team that publicly said they were going to take Harrell is also the same team that took Tim Tebow in the 1st round few years later. 😁

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are the GMs for those mystery teams behind GB still the GM for those teams? If not it doesn't matter what they would have done.

And if they are do you suppose they could have incenuated that they would take Bustin even if they didn't want him hoping word would get back to a team that was drafting ahead of them? Naw couldn't happen.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Are the GMs for those mystery teams behind GB still the GM for those teams? If not it doesn't matter what they would have done.

What teams personnel were going to do at the time don't matter if they are not with the team some half dozen or so years later? What? I'm pretty sure it was Broncos, Ravens and Patriots that mentioned some sort of interest in taking Harrell later in the round. Broncos are the only one I'm certain about.

And if they are do you suppose they could have incenuated that they would take Justin even if they didn't want him hoping word would get back to a team that was drafting ahead of them? Naw couldn't happen.

Considering the NFL doesn't do a draft do-over, I'm going to say I suppose not likely to be the case.

We can all say Justin Harrell failed to live up to his draft selection, but regardless of one or 10 teams being interested in drafting Harrell in the 1st round, the point is obvious here. Harrell wasn't some obvious clear as day bad pick at the time he was drafted. It was believed he would recover fully from the ruptured left biceps tendon injury and be a helluva player in the NFL. But, he came to camp overweight weight and out of shape and that is what lead to his failed career.

And yes, I know some of you "called it" that he would flop, but let's be real here. You are the same idiots who call every pick a flop year after year so you being right is about as valuable as the two times a broken clock reads true each day.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

What teams personnel were going to do at the time don't matter if they are not with the team some half dozen or so years later? What? I'm pretty sure it was Broncos, Ravens and Patriots that mentioned some sort of interest in taking Harrell later in the round. Broncos are the only one I'm certain about.

We can all say Justin Harrell failed to live up to his draft selection, but regardless of one or 10 teams being interested in drafting Harrell in the 1st round, the point is obvious here. Harrell wasn't some obvious clear as day bad pick at the time he was drafted. It was believed he would recover fully from the rotary cuff injury and be a helluva player in the NFL. But, he came to camp overweight weight and out of shape and that is what lead to his failed career.

And yes, I know some of you "called it" that he would flop, but let's be real here. You are the same idiots who call every pick a flop year after year so you being right is about as valuable as the two times a broken clock reads true each day.

Considering the NFL doesn't do a draft do-over, I'm going to say I suppose not likely to be the case.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It was such a terrible pick that even some nobody kid who never held a stopwatch while Harrell trudged along during his 40 knew it was a lousy pick.

As you said Bustin showed up overweight and out of shape. At best that means a reach with the 16th pick. Terrible idea. At worst, well we saw the worst. There were more than 20 players still available who have made at least one pro bowl. This is not 20/20 hindsight. We all knew there were still good players on the board who were not high level injury risks.

As I said, overweight and out of shape. Not the kind of commitment you are looking for in a player at anytime. Certainly not what you want from a first round draft choice and never ever ever from a kid at #16. There is no such thing as "Packer People". There is no magic dust that TeddyT can sprinkling on kids when they show up in GB that changes their attitude. A large number of kids more or less drop out of college when the bowl season is done and all they do is workout and train waiting for draft day to come along. Bustin was injured so he couldn't do as much as the rest of the kids that year but he would still have done some workouts. He did next to nothing.

You can rationalize it all you want but people knew it to be a bad pick then and now.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.