Zero2Cool
15 years ago

In Sundays back-and-forth affair between the Packers and Vikings at the Metrodome, a pair of points awarded to the home team in the first half ended up being a huge factor in the one-point win by Minnesota.

It happened when Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers was attempting to avoid being tackled in the end zone for a safety. While stumbling to the ground, he blindly flipped the ball in underhand fashion, conjuring memories of a certain quarterback who preceded Rodgers as a Packer.

Heres the video.
[youtube]Hgs5xw6ghKM[/youtube]

Pausing the video at 0:07 (Mmmmichael Scarn) shows that the ball landed less than two yards short of the line of scrimmage, and in the general vicinity of a receiver.

Initially, the officials awarded a safety to the Vikings. After an on-field conference during which the debate seemed to focus on whether a receiver was in the vicinity of the throw and/or whether the ball had gotten back to the line of scrimmage, referee Alberto Riveron announced that Rodgers had thrown an illegal forward pass, which equated to a safety.

In our view, Riveron called it an illegal forward pass because he realized that it wasnt intentional grounding. Under Rule 8, Section 3, Article 1 of the 2008 Official Playing Rules, intentional grounding would have occurred if there had not been a realistic chance of completing the pass, or if the ball had not landed near or beyond the line of scrimmage. (Rodgers clearly was out of the pocket, which is a prerequisite to avoiding a grounding call by throwing the ball near or beyond the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether a receiver is in the area.)

We base our conclusion in this regard on in-game images of Packers coach Mike McCarthys argument with the officials, which images strongly suggested that the decision resulted from the unconventional Favre-esque throwing motion that Rodgers had used. (McCarthy confirmed this after the game: The interpretation that I was given was that it was an unnatural throwing motion so with that decision it was a safety.)

It clearly wasnt a natural throwing motion; but the rules dont require a pass to be thrown with a natural motion. Under Rule 8, Section 1, Article 1, a legal forward pass is any pass (including an attempt to fumble forward) made from behind the line of scrimmage, if the ball hasnt moved beyond the line of scrimmage and then returned behind it. An illegal forward pass is 🅰ny other forward pass.

So the ungainly desperation toss by Rodgers wasnt an illegal forward pass.

The league apparently realizes this. In an e-mail on Sunday night, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that it wasnt an illegal forward pass, per se. It was intentional grounding, Aiello wrote. The QB was out of the pocket but he didnt get the ball back to the line of scrimmage. The ball was snapped from the 10 and the ball landed at the 8. The referee announced illegal forward pass, which is what intentional grounding is.

Riveron seemed to adopted this same approach after the game. When pressed by reporters on the illegal forward pass call, Riveron said, Intentional grounding.

But intentional grounding isnt an illegal forward pass. They are two distinct penalties, with two separate sets of consequences.

Intentional grounding results in a loss of ten yards or the spot of the foul, whichever is greater, and a loss of down. An illegal forward pass results in a five-yard penalty and no loss of down.

So well stand on our belief that Riveron played the illegal forward pass call based on the throwing motion, because one or more other members of his crew were insisting that a receiver was in the area and/or the ball was sufficiently near the line of scrimmage.

And so the lesson that this first-year referee likely has learned today is that I know it when I see it logic has no application to a 111-page rule book in which a visceral belief as to conduct that should trigger a penalty doesnt always constitute a violation.

UserPostedImage
Formo
15 years ago
Interesting.

Question is.. if their is a different set of consequences for each penalty, what are they if the penalty happens in their offending teams own end zone? Same thing, a safety? Or what?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
NormaL
15 years ago
Was curious about that myself. Saftey or no depending on the call?
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
Formo
15 years ago
I did a little research.. And looks like it doesn't matter what the call was, Intentional Grounding or Illegal Forward Pass, if the QB is in his own end zone, it's ruled as a safety.

But, that's not definitive. I got that threw a 3rd party.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
obi1
15 years ago
So Can we take the 2 points off the score of the Vikings?

Put an asterisk on this game in the next year's Team media guide's results page as the "referee's wrong call,(illegal forward pass) that resulted in a safety" game
blank
Overkill
15 years ago
Anybody catch Aikman or Buck say they wouldn't even've called it if it'd been Favre? Refs made more than one :xcensoredx: up call.
blank
agopackgo4
15 years ago
we have been getting :xcensoredx: over alot this year, espicially on defense.
IronMan
15 years ago
I'm not going to complain about a call like this when we sucked as bad as we did.
NormaL
15 years ago
Peter King MMQB: The officials screwed up an early safety call on the Packers that, obviously, could have been a huge difference in a one-point Green Bay loss. While being upended in the end zone, Aaron Rodgers threw an underhanded pass that landed about three yards from Packers tight end Tory Humphrey, and ref Alberto Riveron called it an illegal forward pass. Only it wasn't, because quarterbacks often make underhanded scoop passes, which this was. After the game Riveron called it intentional grounding, and it wasn't that either, because Humphrey was so close. So this was a gift two points for the Vikes.
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
bozz_2006
15 years ago
we didn't deserve to win anyway. not worth thinking aobut, imo.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5m) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (12h) : damn those vikings
beast (12h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (12h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (12h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (12h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (19h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (20h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.