Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
The Sitton cut shows how totally arrayed 1265 is.

First, Sitton told Silverstein 1265 did not ask for a pay cut and 1265 said the cut is not health related.

On the surface the Cut makes no sense, Sitton is one of the top 53 players and $6.5M is a bit of an overpay; but you have a quality player for another year and then you get a comp pick, and Ted Thompson loves those comp picks. Ted Thompson has kept "overpaid" players before. Tramon Williams and Kuhn [in 2014] were likewise overpaid to a degree in the last year of their contracts.
Also, overpays are especially okay, if the Vet is a solid role model and provides leadership and strong teaching capabilities. This is a core foundational element of GB's D & D system. Williams helped Shields develop; Kuhn helped Starks and Lacy develop; as well as being a mentors and providing leadership to these 20-21-22-23 YO youngsters. 1265 knows this stuff is INVALUABLE. And I doubt much has been said that Sitton is anything other than a true beast of a human being, a strong leader, a strong mentor, a strong leader.

Also, the Cut likely strengthens a rival. Three rivals badly need a guard and indeed The Bears is Sitton's first stop and Seattle and NE could really use a guard too. These rivals, especially if we meet NE in SB, will have Sitton divulging critical intel not only on about our offense, but also the defense.

Peppers is a bit of an, some think a huge, overpay; so why wasn't he cut?

Well, for he first time in history Ted Thompson provided a real answer to a question: "[Sitton's cut] was done with a focus on what is best for the team and the growth of the offensive line."

Peppers wasn't cut because keeping him "was done with a focus on what is best for the team and the growth of the" defensive line and LBs. That is, Peppers remains being viewed as a strong leader, mentor and teacher.

There are only 2 explanations: (1) Ted lied and has secretly accepted a job w/ Chicago which he starts tomorrow; or (2) Sitton did something that demonstrates he will not be a mentor, leader and teacher to justify his overpay, and possibly even a cancerous divisive prick.

Mad about no trade, blame Sitton. As soon as Sitton's agent found out GB was working on a trade, he went public to sabotage the deal. Classless! Once GMs knew he was going to be released the odds of trade went way down. Though it's doubtful any team with 6M in cap room would spend it on a trade for Sitton.

Most gutless GMs on the brink would be servile to keeping the best 53 and dumped the issue into coaches lap to work out the tensions and personalities, working to disenfranchise the coaching staff. This Cut was not made w/o McCarthy's approval, it was probably made at McCarthy's recommendation or insistence.

Who knows what the specifics are; but Silverstein reported that Sitton and Lang were told there'd be no contract negotiations and that they be allowed to hit free agency after the season. But, when Sitton learned that other OLmen were being talked to about extensions; Sitton, who felt entitled, got all pissy.

There were problems last year too: the starting OL did not perform anywhere near to its potential, they did not play nearly as well together as they did in 2014. Some of it was that Sitton did not play as well; but also disturbing was the lack of growth from Walker, Barclay, Taylor, Bahkteiri and Linsley. They had Solari and Campen; this is almost like having two Joe Whitts; something was wrong.

There was dysfunction in the group, probably created by little clicks formed amongst the OLmen and between the OLmen and other position groups. And/or by nosy gossiping little self-entitled small minded debutantes taking personal and contract issues into the lockerroom and creating disharmony. The attitude of a group is reflected in its leadership; Sitton had to go, no renegotiation, no asking for a cut...Gone!

As long as 1265 can Cut Favres and Sittons to the shock of the fan, the franchise will be in stellar array. This also sends a message to anyone else who consider themselves entitled and bigger the team.
DarkaneRules
7 years ago
There was a lot of injury related stuff that plagued last year's oline but what you say makes sense. If there were any issues you know these guys will keep it in house.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DakotaT
7 years ago
Very good post!

And you didn't even have to mention what a lousy run blocker Sitton is.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
This is the biggest pile of speculation I've ever read. Of course, well received here as it flatters the org.

Total array? Lol. This post only addressed Sitton with more speculation than I've ever seen.

No comment on the total disarray of 2015. Yes. This is such a well run stable ship.

This post was beneath you.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
7 years ago

This is the biggest pile of speculation I've ever read. Of course, well received here as it flatters the org.

Total array? Lol. This post only addressed Sitton with more speculation than I've ever seen.

No comment on the total disarray of 2015. Yes. This is such a well run stable ship.

This post was beneath you.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

LOL

It's done, over, finito. Moving on.

I still can't believe the Packers jettisoned James Lofton for getting a hummer downtown. And he had a good back.

[fing1]

Barfarn made the antiUffda post, deal with it.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I have. Yet, most of you haven't.

It comes down to this:

Are we more likely to go further with Sitton with us or without him?

Are Bears likely to be better or worse with him?

I know for most of you falling short is fine and what you expect but the goal THIS YEAR is to win it all. This move worsens our chances but, again, I'm sure you're okay with it because the goal is not SB victories. It's to continually praise an org that does or doesn't do things consistent to win it all. Hooray. What a bad guy I am for pointing out this decreases our odds of winning this year.

Disarray. Total. Spin as u must we're not as good today as we were before Noon yesterday. That is the overriding FACT beyond this ear tickling fluff post littered with speculation.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
7 years ago

It comes down to this:

I know for most of you falling short is fine and what you expect but the goal THIS YEAR is to win it all. This move worsens our chances but, again, I'm sure you're okay with it because the goal is not SB victories. It's to continually praise an org that does or doesn't do things consistent to win it all. Hooray. What a bad guy I am for pointing out this decreases our odds of winning this year.

Disarray. Total. Spin as u must we're not as good today as we were before Noon yesterday. That is the overriding FACT beyond this ear tickling fluff post littered with speculation.

Truth is, we don't know the whole story and we aren't going to. What we have is the reality of moving forward without Sitton. And in case you haven't noticed, the Packers seem to like youth over nicked up veterans.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Barfarn's stuff on Peppers was among the most egregious piece of crap in there. He's never been a great character guy noted for laziness throughout his career. Not a role model at all...the opposite. He makes almost 5 mil more than Sitton and we were far more likely to get more out of Josh than Julius for 5 million less.

Logic is not present. We are WORSE this year without Josh and the goal should be winning titles. Hard to say with any shred of honesty our odds of winning are better now.

However, continue saying the guy who points out we're not as good of a team without him is the one with issues so we can pretend we're such a well run outfit.

EDIT: I see Barfarn has been active at the bottom of this post for quite some time. Can't wait to see how he spins in his lengthy speculative reply. 😍

2nd EDIT: Here's just another view to add to mine after Barfarn goes bizarro spin world on reality again:

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/blame-for-underachieving-season-falls-on-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson-b99656523z1-366325731.html 
UserPostedImage

Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

It comes down to this:

Dakota said it right, we dont know and we'll never know. If we're going to talk about why, there is going to be some speculation. The key is to rely on the things we actually do know to most accurately read between the lines.

This post has addressed and dismantled EVERY issue you raised. It's not about money. If it was about money Peppers would be released too. But Peppers is a good teammate, who has been known for taking plays off [Reggie took some plays off too] but that does not equate with laziness or being a bad teammate. I have personally seen Peppers counseling young Datone and Neal. Peppers has never been described as anything but a good teammate and is often described as running around the practice field like a nut. Laziness? ridiculous!

It's not about 53 guys being better or 8 OLman being better. You said that [and I agree].

It's not about saving 5.5M or saving 2-3M by asking Sitton to take a paycut. Ted has proved over and over again, it's in his DNA, that he expects to fulfill every contract. This getting rid of guys too early rather than too late is about signing guys, not once they're under contract. Ted never signs guys to those 1M, 5M, 12M, 17M contracts. He wants the Comp picks when the contracts are up. If Sitton is so great even you know that it guarantees GB gets a comp pick if Sitton plays out the year and goes elsewhere in 2017. In GB, Guys who under perform in their last year of contract DO NOT GET CUT, unless they under perform by a large margin or cause a distraction. I agree Sitton is still quality. Kuhn was WAY overpaid in 2014, he wasn't cut. Williams was overpaid before going to Browns and not cut. Hawk was asked to take a paycut, he did, then when his performance dropped so much a couple of years later, that was no longer an option, he got cut with 1 year left. This isn't speculation. These are facts. Now if Ted never cuts guys who are overpaid in their last year, unless they severely under performing the contract, and Sitton is not greatly under performing, why was Sitton cut?

When they renegotiated Hawk's deal around 2013, Hawk was no where near as good as Sitton is now, right? So why'd they ask Hawk for a paycut and not Sitton.

There is only 1 answer: there is some sort of non football reason unrelated to being overpaid.

Now what this reason is is where the speculation starts. Here's another fact: Ted consults with McCarthy about the cuts. If Mike screams, NO FREAKIN' WAY, I NEED HIM, Sitton would have been kept. The non monitory, non football reason for Sitton's cut, either came from league office about PED use; the police inquiring about him getting a hummer downtown like Lofton; or it came from McCarthy. We now know, it was McCarthy that told Ted Get this Favre out of here.

Who knows [Nerd will love this 😂], maybe the gang of white OLman didn't accept Walker or Sherrod and Ted got a call from the HR department or the US attorney about a workplace hostile to Blacks. Maybe Sitton was cut to prevent a team civil war.

Here's your problem Uffda. You, I and everyone here thought we went into 2015 with, if not the best, one of the top 2 QBs in the NFL. Our ignorance of how he was about to play was bliss. I, you and the rest of us yesterday morning were blissful about our LG situation. The fact is, we were ignorant of the problems in the OL room; but now we know. There was a problem last year, I and many other missed it. I now see it; you need to see it.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
More speculation.

Problem in the G room? EVERY player is worried about their contract. If you rule out that this wasn't about money or performance, it makes Ted look like a reactionary little child. You waived your best OL when you KNEW it would decrease your odds of winning? That smacks of personal prettiness. Look at how Ted handled this publicly. Pitiful. No presser after cuts when you jettisoned your top OL? You hide and lie in a press release. This was not in our best interests of WINNING. If you have a GM who prioritizes anything above winning you have the wrong GM. I've said it for years. He never prioritizes the CURRENT season. He's always looking down the road to the peril of our trophy case. He's not this wonderful GM... it's sickening to watch fans praise this guy who operates with a let's be less than the best mindset.

You can't spin this in the best interests of the Packers on the field only what was best for Ted Thompson. Backward. Time to get someone who wants to win SBs and will do his job commensurate with that aim.
UserPostedImage