Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Even when someone says things completely bogus, I consider them and look at them as objectively as I can, such as the release Clay Matthews talk. I've often thought of Clay Matthews as a one trick pony, even though he is really good at that one trick.

Clay is scheduled to earn $15.2 million in 2017 and another $11.4 in 2018 which would be his final contract year.

If the Packers release Clay after June 1st, it looks like he'll count $4.1 million against the cap and that would give the Packers $11 extra.

As it stands now, the Packers are $25.2 million under the 2017 salary cap. The Packers will have unrestricted free agents, Julius Peppers, T.J. Lang, Nick Perry, Jared Cook, Datone Jones, Brett Goode, Eddie Lacy, Don Barclay, J.C. Tretter and Micah Hyde to re-sign with that $25.2 million.

None of these guys will break the bank, nor should they.
T.J. Lang - yes
J.C. Tretter -yes
Brett Goode - yes
Eddie Lacy - yes
Micah Hyde - yes
Nick Perry - yes
Jared Cook - yes
Datone Jones - yes

These guys are not worth re-signing.
Julius Peppers - no
Don Barclay - no

The Packers do not get any benefit from releasing Clay Matthews other than money that shouldn't be spent elsewhere. Looking at the pending 2017 free agents, there really isn't any one that is going to help make this team better while losing Clay in the process.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
7 years ago
How much is julius peppers costing us? ... I love when he makes plays ... Dude is awesome with his strip sacks.

Ya even thou I really enjoy watching matthews play; seems I usually seem him on the sideline including the seattle champion ship last 5 min (bleep up).

luigis
7 years ago
Thinking about resigning Micah Hyde is a good indicator of a weak team.

Luis
nerdmann
7 years ago
Haven't you heard? Nick Perry sucks without Clay on the field.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
7 years ago

Haven't you heard? Nick Perry sucks without Clay on the field.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't think this is just Matthews, but having all the pass rushers available including Daniels, Perry and others... but...

With Matthews playing the Packers are 3-2 this season
With Matthews not playing... the Packers are 1-3

With Matthews playing, on average, the Packers have given up 19.2 points per game this season
With Matthews not playing, on average, the Packers have given up 34.5 points per game this season

That's more than a 15 point swing.
I'm not saying they need Matthews... but they need a couple of talented every down pass rushers. And talented every down pass rushers are hard to get. Might be easiest to just stick with Matthews and keep drafting pass rusher to build for the future.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
7 years ago

I don't think this is just Matthews, but having all the pass rushers available including Daniels, Perry and others... but...

With Matthews playing the Packers are 3-2 this season
With Matthews not playing... the Packers are 1-3

With Matthews playing, on average, the Packers have given up 19.2 points per game this season
With Matthews not playing, on average, the Packers have given up 34.5 points per game this season

That's more than a 15 point swing.
I'm not saying they need Matthews... but they need a couple of talented every down pass rushers. And talented every down pass rushers are hard to get. Might be easiest to just stick with Matthews and keep drafting pass rusher to build for the future.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah, I think Barbi Matthews is incredibly overrated. But the reality is that the Packers could use him on the field until they find someone as good or better to replace him. The same goes for Nick Perry. They aren't the best, but they are the best the Packers have to offer.
DakotaT
7 years ago
When Dom Capers gets fired at the end of the year they can bring in 4-3 coach and let Perry and Datone Jones play their natural positions of defensive end. Mike Daniels, Pennel, Guion, and Clark can rotate at DT.

Problem is Fackrell is a 3-4 OLB and wouldn't fit the defense.

It's still baffling to me that all these years attempting to play the linebacker showcased 3-4 defense, the Packers still haven't found the linebackers to play it. Epic fail.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Not too excited about a player that spends nearly as much time in street clothes as he does in uniform. Pay him per game and I think they should keep him. He does generate double team which helps the overall flow of the defense. He, Peppers, knows how to make plays when needed. But even $8 mil is a lot to pay a part time player who doesn't who up every play when he is on the field.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Not too excited about a player that spends nearly as much time in street clothes as he does in uniform. Pay him per game and I think they should keep him. He does generate double team which helps the overall flow of the defense. He, Peppers, knows how to make plays when needed. But even $8 mil is a lot to pay a part time player who doesn't who up every play when he is on the field.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I thought the same then looked at facts. He's just always dinged but usually suits up and plays. Two seasons prior to this he played in each game. 2011 was healthy scratch for final game of season vs Lions. He's more durable than we perceive.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago

I thought the same then looked at facts. He's just always dinged but usually suits up and plays. Two seasons prior to this he played in each game. 2011 was healthy scratch for final game of season vs Lions. He's more durable than we perceive.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He played every game when he was at ILB. I worry his body can't handle being on the outside anymore.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (14h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (16h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (19h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (20h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.