beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
The 2018 QB draft has been said to have much better looking options than in 2017 QB draft class, and some have speculated teams are trying to get to tank to get the top QB.

1. For example, are the Jets, purposely tanking this season?

The Jets released all but 3 of their players over 29 years old, which just happen to be a lot of their good players including WR Brandon Marshall, WR Eric Decker, OC Nick Mangold, LB David Harris, CB Darrelle Revis, S Marcus Gilchrist, OT Breno Giacomini, K Nick Folk

The 3 players that Jets kept over 29 years old. LS Tanner Purdum, RB Matt Forté and DL Steve McLendon... and they did sign Josh McCown, who some believe will be the starter, despite him never playing in 12 games since 2004. Though McCown has put up nice numbers in his last two odd years (2015 and 2013) posting a 25:5 TD to INT ratio, but he only played 8 games those seasons in part because he can't stay healthy.

The Jets owner, Woody Johnson, is even trying to get out of the picture (probably so he has to take less blame) as he's trying to become America's ambassador to United Kingdom.

2. If teams are tanking, does it matter?

Should teams have the right to purposely tank on purpose?

Is it alright for them to purposely struggle to try to get the top draft selections?

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago
How much cap money are they freeing up by getting rid of their vets? Are they tanking or just going young and freeing up space?
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
Is it tanking, or rebuilding?

Getting the young players who are hopefully going to be part of the team in the future experience, being able to use current salary cap to lock up some future players now so they are not a big burden on the cap in 2 or 3 years.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

How much cap money are they freeing up by getting rid of their vets? Are they tanking or just going young and freeing up space?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Is it tanking, or rebuilding?

Getting the young players who are hopefully going to be part of the team in the future experience, being able to use current salary cap to lock up some future players now so they are not a big burden on the cap in 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Both. If a team is tanking on purpose, then almost by definition, they're also rebuilding via getting a higher draft selection, because if they get a better draft selection, they're also trying to rebuilding. If they tank and get a top 3 overall draft pick, they can grab one of the best players in the draft.

But would it bother anyone if a team purposely did bad during the season to get a higher draft selection?

The Buccaneers have been assumed of doing it to get the 1st overall pick which they used on, QB Jameis Winston.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
It's almost impossible to legislate against tanking. It has worked for enough franchises in the major sports for others to try it too. It doesn't matter what the success rate is. Even if it is only 1/4 the time. They believe it will work for their organization.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
The thing is, even if they get the #1 pick, that doesn't guarantee that the guy is going to be great and "save" their team. Every draft pick is a crap shoot.
So if a team knows it doesn't have a realistic chance to win this year, or even the near future, I don't think it's "tanking" to cut high price guys to start a rebuild. In fact to me it makes great sense.
UserPostedImage
Poppa San
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Per Over the cap, the Jets currently have about $24m in cap space.  They also are taking another $17.5m dead cap hit.  $11m of that is Revis and Fitzpatrick.  So it looks to me they are in full rebuild mode and trying to get cap space to carry forward.  They also have seven players that would negatively affect their cap space for over $1 million if they were released.  For comparison the Packers have $18m cap space and are taking a $4m dead cap hit - mostly Shields. They also have 7 that would big time negatively affect the cap if cut.  Mostly last year and this year top rounds rookies and new big money FA's.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I awoke this morning with a headache. I still went to work. She went back to sleep.
Smokey
6 years ago
Did the Colts "Tank" to get Andrew Luck ? I still remember their QB following P.Manning's departure , his name was Painter .

Did Tampa Bay "Tank" to get QB J.Winston ?

If the Jet's do tank this season to get the 1st pick (probably a QB) in the 2018 NFL Draft , then they would not be the first or the last to do so . Also Teams in other sports have been known to "Tank" for higher draft picks as well .

Vegas even gives odds on what teams will finish dead last in their sport/league . Hard , tangible proof that a commissioner can act upon is very hard to come by even if the overall "opinion" says that a team "Tanked" it. [twocents]

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (4h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (4h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (20h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (23h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.